Actor Leonardo DiCaprio joins us to talk about reuniting with director Martin Scorsese for “The Wolf of Wall Street,” which has been nominated for a Golden Globe for best picture (musical or comedy). The film has sparked controversy, with some critics contending that it romanticizes Wall Street greed. We’ll talk to DiCaprio about the role, his career and his work on behalf of environmental causes. But first, we check in with Variety’s Tim Gray about this year’s movie awards contenders.

Leonardo DiCaprio, actor starring in the film "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Tim Gray, editor-in-chief of Variety Magazine

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Was at a multiplex theatre where this movie was being show, and standing outside the door one could hear the movie and I was taken aback at the number of times the ‘F’ word was used. Then I remembered it was a Martin Scorsese film. Why are his movies so full or profanity????

• Local Yokel

Having spent some time on Wall Street in the 90s, I could relate to the characters in this film. Theses extreme personalities do exist and we should seek to better understand them because they are part to blame for extreme volatility in our financial markets. I know that the Wolf of Wall Street seeks to provoke and entertain, that’s why I spent a few bucks to go watch lights flicker on a wall in a dark room. It’s not surprising that Mr. diCaprio was enchanted with Belfort’s charisma and made a promo piece on his behalf — many of these men that rise to the top at our big banks and corporations are admired by other men, that’s how they got there. It’s the irrationality of putting the most extreme (and magnetic) personalities in charge of key financial instititutions that we should examine. Belfort is no longer there but there are hundreds just like him still on Wall Street who continue to wreak havoc on our financial system. Lets make banking boring again and leave extreme personalities to professions that don’t undermine our society. Perhaps Mr dicaprio can help spread that message.

• Cathy

I don’t think it’s the responsibility for entertainers to make a stance on a subject. And I love books and films that are thought provoking even if I don’t agree wih their point of view. But sometimes I wish publishers and film makers would resist not certain subjects but resist anything that rewards the very people that have been menaces to society. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that this crook wrote a book and now has a film out about him. He is now raking in a ton of money. Again, I wouldn’t say it’s the responsibility of the industry to boycott such sources. It would just feel a lot better had it he not been rewarded indirectly for his actions. It’s just a thought that runs through my head sometimes…

• menloman

DiCaprio says that Martin Scorsese wanted to pull no punches in the making of The Wolf of Wall Street, and yet he does. This movie is based on the memoirs of Jordan Belfort, who writes that his firm was made up of, “the most savage young Jews anywhere on Long Island: the towns of Jericho and Syosset. It was from out of the very marrow of these two upper-middle-class Jewish ghettos that the bulk of my first hundred Strattonites had come….”. As Rob Eshman writes in The Jewish Journal, .. “I do regret that Scorsese chose not to deal with the fact that Jordan Belfort is Jewish. Although some of the characters in “Wolf,” like Jonah Hill’s Donnie Azoff, are clearly portrayed as Jews, even to the point of wearing chai necklaces around their coke-frosted necks, Belfort, with his Anglo looks and Frenchy name, is left to be simply American. I get it: To do otherwise might give the movie a whiff of anti-Semitic caricature. Scorsese feels much safer depicting the Italian-ness of his violent mobsters than the Jewishness of his greedy con men.”

Why is it that the elephant in the room must not be named?

• menloman

DiCaprio says that Jordan Belfort is trying to make amends by paying back as much as he can. Wikipedia says, “According to federal prosecutors, Belfort has failed to live up to the restitution requirement of his 2003 sentencing agreement. The agreement requires him to pay 50% of his income towards restitution to the 1,513 clients he defrauded. Of the $11.6 million that has been recovered by Belfort’s victims, $10.4 million of the total is the result of the sale of forfeited properties. The sentencing agreement mandates a total of $110 million in restitution.”

Sounds as if DiCaprio likes his subject a little too much.

• menloman

DiCaprio says that Jodan Belfort engaged in his financial crimes when Wall Street was totally unregulated. Really? Belfort was convicted of securities fraud. Similarly, Bernard Madoff committed his crimes under Wall Street regulations too. Regulations don’t stop crime. They merely provide the mechanism to prosecute crime.

Michael Krasny will allow any movie star to say anything without challenge.

• Hunter Mann

I applaud the variety of topics & interesting people interviewed over the years on Krasny’s Forum. My only gripe about today’s show: Why so little air-time given to DiCaprio? One would hope that Krasny’s team could schedule a full hour of DiCaprio and Scorcese. Charlie Rose can do things like that, I’d expect no less from Michael Krasny, an articulate, gifted persona on the KQED airwaves.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor