screenshotkickstarter

In the past few years crowdfunding platforms like Indiegogo and Kickstarter have helped entrepreneurs and activists raise millions of dollars for everything from smart watches and bicycle bells to museums and chocolate shops. We speak to crowdfunding experts and take your questions on how to create a successful campaign.

Guests:
Danae Ringlemann, co-founder of Indiegogo
Richard Swart, head of crowdfunding research at The Program for Innovation in Entrepreneurial and Social Finance at the Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership at UC Berkeley
Ian Johnstone, co-founder of Gun by Gun
Clint Slone, co-founder of Spurcycle
Deven Soni, co-founder of Sprayable Energy

• Roxie Kellam

What about crowd funding for philanthropic groups?

• Hi Roxie,

We have lots of non-profits that use Indiegogo to:

1) run their own campaigns, like Peace and Paws Ruff House: bit.ly/19tF7W4

2) allow individuals to run campaigns on their behalf, like these kids for UC Sand Diego Foundation – bit.ly/1lmW3gB

3) provide Indiegogo to their members/constituents so they can run their own campaigns under the umbrella of the non-profit organization, like KIVA (http://www.indiegogo.com/partners/kiva) or Fractured Atlas (http://www.indiegogo.com/partners/frac)

We also have a “Verified Non-Profit” system where we ensure the funds raised are sent directly to non-profits for which the campaign is raising money. This system enables funders to get tax-deductions. Here’s a sampling of all campaigns raising money under this “verified non-profit” umbrella. bit.ly/1cchD1Q

Hope this helps! For more questions, just email our happiness team at support@indiegogo.com.

Thanks for listening, and Happy New Year!
      Danae

• Alicia Robb

I’m a research fellow at the Kauffman Foundation and am investigating how crowdfunding might “democratize” financial capital markets by drawing in project leaders and investors that are generally underrepresented. On the gender front, we are finding women are participating more frequently, especially on the investing side. It’s been extremely difficult to get access to data from indiegogo. I’d be interested in hearing from Danae on her commitment to data and research to better understand crowdfunding dynamics. She could be very instrumental in moving our knowledge base forward, especially around aspects related to race and gender.
    Alicia Robb, Ph.D., Senior Fellow, Kauffman Foundation

• Hi Alicia,

Thanks for your question. I hope i helped answer it. As mentioned, our “open marketplace” approach to crowdfunding is proving to be a robust approach to leveling the funding playing field. By curating, we’d insert a bias again, which would be no different than the gatekeeper approach of traditional finance. As evidence of the power of creating an equal opportunity funding platform, 47% of all campaigns that reach their funding target on Indiegogo are run by women (41% for entrepreneurial campaigns, specifically), vs. 8-13% of VC-backed companies having a woman on their founding/executive team. Happy to connect. This issue is of great personal interest to me as well.

Happy Holidays,

Danae

• Victoria Angello

How do you decide how much money to ask for in the campaign? Is there a formula or a target amount that is more successful?
    E

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor