Nelson Mandela

Anti-apartheid activist and former South African president Nelson Mandela has died. He was 95 years old. In the 1960s, Mandela was convicted of sabotage and conspiracy against the government and spent 27 years in prison. He emerged to become the first black president of South Africa, and won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts against apartheid, racism and poverty. We discuss his life and legacy.

Douglas Foster, associate professor in the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and author of "After Mandela: The Struggle for Freedom in Post-Apartheid South Africa"
Edmond Keller, research professor of political science and former director of the James S. Coleman African Studies Center at UCLA

• Bob Fry

Let’s also remember F. W. De Klerk, who had the insight to begin the non-violent end of apartheid.

• Chris OConnell

Give me a break. This is Mandela’s time.
      We will remember de Klerk when he dies.

• Dan Jensen

Okay. Let’s remember Mandela, how he advocated the violent end of apartheid.

• Menelvagor

okay–if he did not–violence was deserved. do you forget the violent rule of the bigoted white elites? disgusting. SOmetimes violence is required. The illegitimate elite all over the world need to be violently removed–they wont step down if asked. Is war not violent? war so joyfully advocated by the violent rich.

• Dan Jensen

I didn’t say that he was wrong. I am simply suggesting that we remember the whole man, and not whitewash his memory.

• Puravida

Did anyone else just hear the woman who said “and he was a great actor in shaw shank redemption and Bruce almighty” oh my god. First off, really? Second off you picked Bruce almighty as one of Morgan Freeman’s great movies??,

• Vear

No… I heard that too. Someone either made a prank call in very bad taste or… good god, etiquette or ignorance… No matter how you look at it: our public school systems are irretrievably broken.

That was not a prank but it gave me a good laugh.

• Shamar Theus

Listen to a caller confuse Nelson Mandela with actor Morgan Freeman here:

Utterly priceless; not quite sure how Madiba would feel (always the believer in reconciliation) but it certainly did provide me with a nice laugh!

• Anil Kumar Karanam

Absolutely hilarious, I was driving and laughed so hard I almost hit someone.
      But, what an amazing gentleman Dave Iverson was, didn’t laugh, did not loose his poise. Educated the ( very obviously embarrassed) caller and yet, managed to squeeze a valuable conversation out of it.

• Menelvagor

he did laugh a little bit–it was in his breath. There are no words for this ladies mistake, but i do feel bad for her. how embarrassing.

• David Herzstein Couch

There was another guest on this show — Walter Turner, longtime host of the KPFA program “Africa Today” and chair of the social sciences department at College of Marin. I would have liked to hear more of him on the program, in fact.

• Don Chen

Haha yes I laughed out loud too on the road… Bruce Almighty? Come on now…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor