twitterpubliccrop

The sign hanging by the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange read “#Ring” as San Francisco-based Twitter went public last week, with its initial price offering of $26 per share quickly jumping to $45, giving the company a $31.5 billion valuation. But according to New York Times tech writer Nick Bilton, it wasn’t always smooth sailing to the top for the microblogging company. In his new book, “Hatching Twitter,” he explores the rocky history of its founders and the company’s complicated rise to fame and fortune.

Guests:
Nick Bilton, columnist and reporter for the New York Times

• Ryan

I enjoy how your guest cites the amount of “Revenue” Twittter has and may have next year, as opposed to “Net Income.” Why is twitter not a total fad perpetuated by yet another financial bubble in speculative tech stocks – LinkedIn, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon.

• Jon Gold

I still do not use twitter, yes, I have an account, very occasionally do I look at it. What am I missing!? Seems unnecessary, but I know it’s gaining in importance as a credible source for news events…What is Nick Bilton’s take on Twitter’s future…

• Bill Patton

Bilton closed the broadcast with the comment that he thinks there’s a bubble looming….again

• Melissa

The speaker and an earlier caller who worked on Twitter’s International team keep referring to its role in the “Iranian Revolution”. Really? Was it around in 1979? There were protests and up-risings in 2009, but Ahmedinejad stayed in power and the regime remains. Do they not know, or just repeating the messages symptomatic of the hype and over-determination of Twitters’ importance to humanity.

• Fay Nissenbaum

Yes, Michael missed it too. Like not letting the facts get in the way of the hype.

• Griff Jim Griffith

The creation myth may be just that for nearly all the new companies formed in the Valley in the last 15 years but…it IS actually true for eBay which the idea of which belonged to one man – Pierre Omidyar – who started and grew the company in its infancy on his own from his condo.

• LF

I appreciate all points of view on this topic. Although S. F. gave tax breaks to Twitter they are now opening a large office in downtown Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale did not give them tax breaks as far as I know. Does anyone know about that? http://tinyurl.com/mqunmho
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/29/twitter-sunnyvale/

• $20882149

Can you please fix the audio stream. When I click pause and then click play it shouldn’t start over.
    Thanks

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor