New York Times chief White House correspondent Peter Baker’s new book “Days of Fire” provides a detailed look at the defining moments of the George W. Bush administration. His reporting sheds new light on the complex relationship between President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, the response to the September 11 attacks, and the decision to invade Iraq. He joins us in the studio to discuss the book, and the legacy of the Bush-Cheney partnership.

Peter Baker, author of "Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House," and chief White House correspondent for The New York Times

• Livegreen

Many people forget that Dick Cheney came out of the Nixon Administration, and is good friends to this day with (Rev.) Jeb Magruder, of Watergate fame. This says a lot about his inside the beltway politics & skillful behind the scenes political maneuvering.

Even more amazing is that Democrats campaigning for Gore & Kerry never brought this up in any meaningful way. In fact Gore’s campaign chief said on Forum that this was a non-issue.

• Bob Fry

There’s no need for vast conspiracy theories to explain 9/11 or anything else about the Dumbya regime.

I’ll hold to my own theory:

Dumbya was a relative dummy in the Bush family and among other politicians and was largely told or tricked by others as to what to do. The invasion of Iraq was at least in part due to Dumbya’s wanting to upstage his father, to prove to his father he was “worthy”.

• Jon Gold

Following the events of September 11th, 2001, I saw the president is an entirely new light. I felt him for the first time as sympathetic and available, and then there seemed to be this great revenge swelling toward the Iraq War invasion. Can you say more about the shift in the presidency around this period?

• Debbie Neff McKee

I refer your guest to several books by Molly Ivins and Jim Hightower…two Texans who knew the real Bush not the Potemkin Bush. From what I learned from these two authors, Bush in nothing like the person your guest is saying he is.

• knowit

Bush Family Secrets:

• Steve

Mr. Baker says that President Bush is hoping for a Harry Truman-like re-evaluation by history of his presidency. Exactly what does he base that hope on? The Iraq War is obviously one of the worst foreign policy disasters in history, and the economy was crashing and burning as Bush left office. So where, exactly, is the positive legacy, other than his efforts against AIDS in Africa?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Did Bush get the best of Tony Blair – or was that cheney who got him to buy the “sexed-up intel” that made the case for war? (Note that Dr David Kelly, whose body was found in July 2003, had been under intense pressure after being named as the suspected source of a BBC report claiming the government “sexed up” a dossier on the threat posed by Iraq.)

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor