murdochcrop

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch built News Corp from its roots in Australia to become an international multimedia empire. NPR’s media correspondent David Folkenflik writes about the billionaire businessman in his new book, “Murdoch’s World: The Last of the Old Media Empires.” Folkenflik joins us to talk about the magnate’s politics and about the trial now underway of alleged bribery and phone hacking by Murdoch’s journalists in London.

Guests:
David Folkenflik, media correspondent for National Public Radio and author of "Murdoch's World: The Last of the Old Media Empires"

• Kurt thialfad

What passes for news today is more like propaganda. There are so many facts are omitted, and the stories are all spun to a particular point of view.

• Bill Recto

Its Crazy What happened to Piers Morgan ties to Rupert Murdoch. I know BBC News on KQED9 did a story on Morgan During his time in the UK and he was somehow in the act with Brooks or giving orders to Brooks to hack a phone of a target in the UK. This was during the time that Morgan was moving from Cowell Productions to CNN for his US operations.

How did Morgan get off the hook that fast?

• knowit

When I turn on the TV news what I see is theater. The only news approaching reality is on Russia Today (RT) or Al Jazeera. Even Democracy Now seems like it’s from la-la land sometimes.

I encourage people to check out Project Censored to get an idea of what news is being filtered out. In the USA there are news stories that are completely missing from the news, which are headlines in other countries.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor