Marin County author Joyce Maynard’s latest novel, “After Her,” is loosely based on the case of the Trailside Killer, the serial murderer and rapist who targeted female hikers in the Bay Area between 1979 and 1981. We’ll talk to Maynard about the book and about her romantic relationship with J.D. Salinger, which she discusses in a controversial new documentary about the “Catcher in the Rye” author.

Joyce Maynard, author of 15 books, including "After Her," "To Die For" and the bestselling memoir, "At Home in the World"

• Mary Sheila McMahon

When I heard that Joyce Maynard would be the next guest, I turned off the program and I will continue to turn off KQED whenever Maynard is a guest. He dubious moral choices and rationales always have bothered me, but her most recent self-justification for giving up two adopted children sickened me. I have no interest in giving any listening time to any program that provides her with a public outlet.

• JohanNilsenNagel

• RosemaryPeppercorn

Mary Sheila McMahon, until you have walked in someone else’s shoes, your words are meaningless. How many failed adoptions have you had and had to make heart-wrenching decisions for the sake of the children? And do it publicly? Joyce Maynard has lived her life honestly and openly and with the highest of morals. Go criticize someone who deserves it — like Republicans.

• D McD

And you’ve never made mistakes in your life? Give yourself a halo. I believe Joyce had the best intentions and got in too deep. It actually happens in a lot of adoptions. I’m not aware of the “dubious moral choices” you’re referring to and I’ve followed her career for a long time.

• RosemaryPeppercorn

Sometimes adoptions do not work out. It is a fact of life. It is too bad it sickens you. Imagine having to make the decision for the children’s best interest? It takes guts, and Joyce has guts. “Dubious moral choices?” Excuse me? She is a brilliant writer, an excellent parent to three great children, and a new bride. She has always lived her life openly and honestly. There are no “dubious moral choices” in her life. I hope you continue to live a life in which you do not need to make difficult decisions for the sake of others.

• Margaret Miller

Unlike Ms. McMahon, I turn on the radio (and will continue to) whenever I hear that Joyce is being interviewed. I admire her writing, her character, and her approach to life. As far as her decision to find another home for her adopted daughters, may those who have never erred be the first to throw stones.

• William Lurcott

Wow. What fears do you carry inside to judge so harshly? I hope that you find peace somewhere…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor