A new study from an Australian-based human rights group reports that nearly 30 million people worldwide are living in slavery-like conditions, with almost half of them in India. The study is the first-ever global index on slavery, and tracks forced labor, human trafficking, and the sale of children, among other abuses. We discuss modern day slavery worldwide, and what forms of slavery and human trafficking exist here in the Bay Area.

David Batstone, president of the Not for Sale Campaign, an international agency dedicated to ending global slavery; professor of business at University of San Francisco; and author of "Not For Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade and How We Can Fight It"
Nick Grono, CEO, Walk Free Foundation
Benjamin Skinner, co-founder, Tau Investment Management; former investigative journalist and author of "A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern Day Slavery."
Nola Brantley, co-founder and executive director, Misssey, an Oakland-based group that provides services for sexually exploited youth

• Steve Dowd

My wife and her friend in 1999 travelled up the Niger river in Mali on the way to Timbuktu, and sat next to a couple travelling with their neighbor’s slave. It seemed to be no secret. Some questions about the girl were answered, but unfortunately the conversation ended when her friend, who is black, insisted on ignoring them, and expected the same from my wife. The fact that it is not taboo to this region surprises me. Is this the attitude in rural areas in Africa and the areas being mentioned in this program? By the way, thank you for having this discussion.

• Bill_Woods

As to debt slavery, don’t countries like India have bankruptcy laws?

• luhai167

i wonder if crushing student debt can count as debt bondage or not. for many it eats awa6 savings to a subsistance level and it can’t give rid of by declaring backkrupcy.

• Jodie Langs

Child sex trafficking will continue as long as there is demand for young girls. At WestCoast Children’s Clinic, an Oakland-based children’s mental health clinic, we serve over 100 sexually exploited youth per year. They are arrested more frequently than their ‘Johns’ (a falsely benign term) are. Until we prosecute buyers, this won’t stop. Many of our youth are also sold on, owned by Village Voice Media. We need public pressure to shut down sites like this, and increase risk and legal fines for buyers. We also need improved protection and services for youth who are victims of sex trafficking. Incarcerating them in juvenile hall, as they frequently are, is not an acceptable solution–youth need access to the resources and support that will help them get out of the sex trade and recover from trauma–such as those offered by MISSSEY, WestCoast and other community based organizations.

• Katy Dickinson

Thank you for the fascinating show! Guest just said that there are more slaves now in the world than ever before – is this because there are more people in the world (with the same percentage of slaves) or is the percentage of slaves growing worldwide?
    Katy Dickinson, San Jose

• jurgispilis

What influence do sanctuary laws have on human trafficking here in the US? Do sanctuary laws encourage (or discourage) human trafficking?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Any comment on all the massage parlors in San Francisco (and elsewhere)? I know of a karaoke bar in Japantown where the women are trafficked from korea. The so-called hostess bars move their female employees around the US from bar to bar in an underground association. Comments?

• jurgispilis

The only comment I can mention is the SF sanctuary laws give them incentive to engage in human trafficking. That’s why there are so many massage parlors in SF – because of the sanctuary laws.

• Skip Conrad

Are there more of these establishments in cities and states that have a non-enforcement of immigration laws policy (i.e sanctuary city policy)? Do sanctuary laws have the effect of increasing trafficking or decreasing trafficking. i would like to see a study of this – whether there are more or less “hostess bars” in US cities having sanctuary laws vs. US cities where immigration law is enforced.

• hafez janssens

what is the app mentioned on the show on corporations’ supply chain?

• mtran

Check out the Free2work app!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor