We discuss the latest efforts by House Republicans and the White House to negotiate an end to the government shutdown.

Heidi Przybyla, Congressional reporter for Bloomberg News
David Mark, editor-in-chief of Politix, an online community focusing on national politics
HD Palmer, deputy director of external affairs at the California Department of Finance
Ken Rudin, public radio's Political Junkie, and former political editor at NPR

• Bob Fry

Ironic subjects for your first two Forums this morning. In both cases you have a minority threatening catastrophe to the large majority if they don’t get their way entirely.

• Heretic

Workers deserve a decent wage.

• Sam Badger

because people who are demanding more money for the thankless job of driving millions to work everyday and are in new contract negotiations are the same as a bunch of petulant congressmen who are angry over a law they don’t like? Huh.

• Chemist150

I feel that it’s the majority that is trying to irreversibly bankrupt this nation. Matter of perspective.

• Skip Conrad

The idea that a small minority is holding the nation hostage strikes me as kind of strange. i think it’s more like the majority holding the hostages and – blaming – it on the minority. The tea party is a red herring.

• Heretic

Suppose you count all the lobbyists in DC and the corporate executives and board members, and the wealthy investors. Would they not be a minority that is holding us hostage?

• Bill Recto

This is all about Some members of the tea party like Ted Cruz to get a seat on Fox News thats what is really boils down to.

• Chemist150

Because the forums are corrupted right now and not showing the full responses, I’m responding to your reply about the 70% here.

Federal spending is not government spending. Federal spending acounts for about ~40% which is probably what you found on WIKIpedia.

It’s funny that you call me an extremist because I also believe that states make up about ~10 % of the government spending and local makes up for about 20% more of the spending.

i.e. ~40% (federal) + 20% (local) + ~10% (state) = ~70 total government spending.

I won’t sit here and call you names but I can do math.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor