(BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images)

Iran’s new president, Hassan Rouhani delivered a message of tolerance to the United Nations this week. He said the United States and Iran can “manage our difference” and that “peace is within reach,” while calling the sanctions against his country over its nuclear program a form of violence. We discuss the possibilities for diplomacy with President Rouhani and the nuclear future of Iran.

Guests:
Abbas Milani, director of the Iranian Studies Program at Stanford University and author of books including "The Shah"
Kenneth Pollack, senior fellow at the Saban Center for Middle East Policy at the Brookings Institution and author of "Unthinkable: Iran, the Bomb, and American Strategy"
Jamal Abdi, policy director for the National Iranian American Council

• Ameena Jandali

Rouhani told CNN.”Whatever criminality they committed against the Jews we condemn,” “The taking of human life is contemptible. It makes no difference if that life is Jewish life, Christian or Muslim. For us it is the same.” Good move but does Rouhani plan to extend that principle to also includes Syrian lives, and to stop military and other support for the Syrian Hitler and mass murderer Assad?

• johnqeniac

I forget, remind me – Does the U.S. allow international inspections of all of its nuclear weapons facilities? Krasny? Anyone? Hello?

• Chemist150

If you follow the time line…

1. Iran allowed inspections.

2. Iran abruptly demanded that to allow further inspections, IAEA need to replace a specific inspector if not all of them.

3. IAEA refused.

4. Iran ceased allowing inspectors.

5. Stuxnet was reveal

Logic dictates that whoever enacted Stuxnet needed access. The timeline suggests that it was an IAEA inspector. This is not something that would be allowed anywhere near the press but the timeline tells the truth.

• johnqeniac

umm… interesting, but that’s not what I asked.

• Chemist150

The US already has nuclear weapons, that’s well known. The inspections are to prevent more.

Yes, the US does have inspections. Exemptions are more overlooked though.

• Karen Pliskin

The United States also needs to help negotiations with Iran proceed by apologizing for the 1953 coup d’etat which ousted Iran’s popular prime minister, Mohammad Mossadegh, after he had nationalized the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. For the past 60 years, since that coup, Iranians have distrusted the U.S. because the autocratic Shah and his secret police, Savak, were supported by the United States. Even though the Islamic regime is even more autocratic than the Shah was, an American apology for the 1953 coup would go a long way to building relations with Iran.

• vacuumation

Obama brought up the ’53 coup in his U.N speech on Tuesday. They’ve done that several times, even without any reciprocation from the Islamic clerics – who are hell bent (no pun intended) to paint themselves as victims who have done no wrong, while millions of Iranians at home and in the diaspora would beg to differ.

• Robert

Having worked in Iran and studied the Muslim faith. I feel no matter what is said by any Iranian leader is to be taken as a non truth. Taqiyya and kithman are the two main watchwords to support my reasoning.

• Caffeine

What any mullah, rabbi or priests says, it should be taken first as a nontruth first, since it will be founded on the empty claim that there is any invisible bully in the sky called “God”. These men are mere salesmen, and their product is 100% fraudulent, and bound to harm the consumer.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor