(Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

They’re bearded, they’re brainy, and they’ve got a taste for adventure. Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, the San Francisco-based co-hosts of the popular Discovery Channel show “MythBusters,” join us in-studio to talk about swimming in syrup, dipping their hands in molten lead and paddling a canoe made of duct tape, all in the name of science.

Adam Savage tries to escape from a submerged car:

The biggest explosion ever on "Mythbusters":

Guests:
Adam Savage, co-host of "MythBusters"
Jamie Hyneman, co-host of "MythBusters" and owner of M5 Industries, the special effects workshop where the show is filmed

• Open Your Mind

I long ago stopped watching Mythbusters. They went from being a show for adults to engaging in mindless clowning around for the kids. They have basically become like the Jackass show except they include science. Also, their online forum area is highly censored. It’s as if they hired North Koreans to manage it.

• Mia

Love Mythbusters. My favorite episode was the exploding water heater. It didn’t so much explode as turn into a rocket. Classic!

• Wayne Sugihara

I love this crossover of two SF Bay Area Iconic shows! Guys, when are you going to invite Michael to appear on your show?

• GW

I’ve got a great myth for these quacks. How do you put three skyscrapers into its respective basement using two planes? I don’t know, but maybe these guys could actually solve something important and put the official government sponsored 9/11 conspiracy theory to the test. or they can keep doing kid stuff and leave the important stuff to men of character

• Jon Gold

How is any of this helpful to anyone!? It seems like info-tainment at it’s worst for shock and awe value with little to no educational value or scientific innovation. What is the demographic of the viewers!?

• Robert Thomas

The show is fun to watch and I enjoy the air of enthusiastic enquiry and adherence to careful observation (!) that one sees.

However, a brush up against Newtonian mechanics at the level of eleventh-grade physics (the concepts of elasticity in collisions and of “impulse” and “momentum” are relatively well-established tools of investigation, for example) would be a good idea, to keep from alarming nearby, settled vicinities.

• Adam – can you tell us a little more about this mysterious project you’re seeking an “inventern” for?

• StCredZero

In response to the “not science-y” comment: I walked away from Mythbusters in disgust after the compressed-air boat episode. Newton’s 3rd law–cmon guys! But I gave them another chance, and I am now pleased with their science content. The guy who makes the cartoon diagrams, on the other hand — they’re so often just geometrically wrong or reveal subtle misunderstanding of the principle being illustrated.

• Burton McKerchie

I’m living on my sailboat at the marina in Half Moon Bay. If I hang a baggie of water with a coin in it, will it keep the flies away?

• Adam

I’d just like Adam and Jamie for all the good work that they do, on and off the show. I think a good deal of the criticism they’ve faced today is unfounded, as I think their show will help create a new generation of scientists and “makers”, partly because they manage to make the field seem like so much fun. Keep up the good work, a lot of us really appreciate it!

• Question More

The biggest myth that Mythbusters will not touch is that foreign bogeymen attacked the USA on 9/11/2001.

Are you aware that the towers collapsed in a mere 10-11 seconds each?

Are you aware that on 9/11, a third building collapsed at free-fall
    speed — WTC building 7 — at 5:20 pm? It was not hit by any planes nor major debris.

For answers that make far more sense than the official story, visit http://ae911truth.org.

Physical fact:
    A building can only collapse at free fall speed with the extensive use of explosives, placed on core columns. It takes weeks to prepare a building for a controlled demolition. Workers in WTC 1
    and 2 reported unusual construction activity in the weeks before 9/11.

Learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRMrMdn0NQ

• Rosemary Camposano

My son just made a presentation to his 8th grade class with his plans to become a Pyrotechnic. This idea came directly from the 1000’s of Mythbusters he has watched. His plan is to go to New Mexico Tech, where the high speed sled experiments and the MB all time biggest explosion was successfully pulled off! Thank you both for inspiring my son. Of course first he will get a degree in Chemistry and Math — then he can go to work demolishing buildings or designing explosions for movie sets

• Fay Nissenbaum

boys like to burn things and blow ’em up. that 8 year old will likely grow his interests beyond that.

• James Ivey

I don’t have any questions or myth ideas. I’m just a huge fan of the show. So is my 10-year-old daughter. I wish there were more episodes. If I have any issue with the show at all, it’s that sometimes the conclusion is based on the notion that, if a mythbuster can’t do it, nobody could. That’s a rare thing (seems like you guys get experts when you can) and mostly with Kari, Grant, and Tory. Even with that, I learn a lot from the show and really enjoy watching.

• Michael Yee

Question, GW, while I would not dispute the potential validity of your claim without careful analysis of the data, please be mindful of the forum in which you post your thoughts.

The notion that the Mythbusters would confront such a controversial and politically sensitive issue is ludicrous, even if they could adequately replicate the physical circumstances of the event. 9/11 is considered in the United States one of the greatest atrocities committed – easily overshadowing other local tragedies such as the Pearl Harbor bombings (which, I am aware, are also controversial) and the Trail of Tears. For perspective, Mythbusters has to tiptoe around the implications of testing cell phone reception on an airplane.

With that aside, it is also insensitive to repeatedly post your thoughts on the matter; this is intended to be a discussion of the Mythbusters, their show, and their discussion with Michael Krasny. Please let it rest and trust the curious and independent – the only people who would be interested in your claims in any case – to find the link you posted on their own.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor