Tom Barbash

The New York Times Book Review calls Tom Barbash “a true craftsman who sweats over every sentence,” and says the stories in his new collection are “addictive.” The Marin County-based fiction writer and journalist joins us in the studio to talk about his new book, “Stay Up With Me.” We will also mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks — which Barbash dealt with in his 2003 bestseller “On Top of the World” — and talk with him about the legacy of those tragic events.

Guests:
Tom Barbash, author of the new story collection "Stay Up With Me," and of other books including the novel "The Last Good Chance" and the nonfiction book "On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick & 9/11: A Story of Loss & Renewal"

• Fyza Parviz

Do you start writing a short story already knowing the ending? Or does it come to you as you are writing?

• Open Your Mind

What questions do you have about 9/11 that the mainstream media have not answered?

Are you aware that the towers collapsed in a mere 10-11 seconds each?

Are you aware that on 9/11, a third building collapsed at free-fall speed — WTC building 7 — at 5:20 pm. It has not hit by any planes nor major debris.

For answers that make far more sense than the official story, visit http://ae911truth.org.

Physical fact:
    A building can only collapse at free fall speed with the extensive use of explosives, placed on core columns. It takes weeks to prepare a building for a controlled demolition. Workers in WTC 1 and 2 reported unusual construction activity in the weeks before 9/11.

Learn more:

• Robert Thomas

Learning is overrated.

• Open Your Mind

I think John Gotti said something similar to investigators.

• Robert Thomas

John who?

• eileen

My family in NY has for generations worked for the phone company. My cousin was a high level employee at ATT in NYC in 2001. He was supposed to be in a meeting at the WTC on the morning of 9/11. He was late because someone he worked with had found our grandfather’s old lineman gear and had brought it to him. This gear, tools to climb poles to install or repair phone lines was no longer in use. Because this gear was found that morning and brought to my cousin he missed his meeting. As well he was able to use this same gear that our grandfather had used as a first responder in initial repair of downed phone lines after the collapse of the towers.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor