The Northern California coastline near Mendocino.

California’s 1,100 miles of majestic coastline holds countless of stories of humans interacting with the sea. In his new book, “The Golden Shore: California’s Love Affair with the Sea,” David Helvarg traces a geographic, ecological and literary journey along California’s coastline. He joins us to discuss how early settlers, the military, surfers and others have transformed — and been changed by — the Pacific shoreline.

Guests:
David Helvarg, author of "The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea" and executive director of Blue Frontier Campaign

• theresa

Cant wait for this show as I am one who loves the sea and living near it. I go to the coast when happy and also when down as it always lifts me. I was raised in a Navy family and my earliest memories are at the beach in Carmel.

• grizzley

Why is it that everytime we see the Senate meetings on TV they all have plastic water bottles in front of them? R they clueless about this too?

• Given our love of the California and global oceans, we built TraX, a mobile platform to track and reward shoppers that offset waste at the point of a retail purchase. Our mission is to move single-use disposables (bags,cups and more) to the past, and out of our oceans and communities. Learn more about us at TraXapp.co and we are based in Berkeley and SF!
    Thanks for sharing
    @traxactions

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor