The U.S. Capitol building.

Mark Leibovich’s new book “This Town” opens at the funeral of NBC’s Tim Russert, the “mayor” of elite Washington D.C. Amid genuine mourning and sadness, the memorial soon devolves into the ultimate networking event for the capital’s entrenched and powerful cabal of lobbyists, socialites and pundits. Leibovich joins us in studio to discuss the controversial book, which offers a rare and colorful glimpse into the Beltway’s permanent political class.

Mark Leibovich, chief national correspondent for New York Times Magazine and author of "This Town: Two Parties and a Funeral"

• Rango

Lobbyists are pímps.
    Politicians are whóres.
    Corporations are jóhns.
    Congress is a bróthel.

You must drink a shot for every time the guest starts a sentence with “Again…”

• Bill Tutuki

Well you forgot Cable news is basically a gossip source or propaganda source for lobbyists. But the Problem with CNN, Fox News and MSNBC is that you can’t tell if the lobbyist is insane in real life or pretending to be insane as long as they are getting paid by the Lobbyist group or CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

• Rango

This is a tough one. Maybe CNN is like the graffiti in bathroom stalls, combined with the ads in the back of SF Weekly for prøstitutes, combined with the articles in AVN magazine.

• Bill Tutuki

CNN, MSNBC, Fox, Politico are like TMZ and National Enquirer for lobbyists????

• Robert

I tend to agree with the author somewhat. I feel that the key word with the Obama administration is Chicago politics. Having been born and raised in Chicago, I see the corrupt and insider tactics as just Chicago politics calling the shots. Obama was installed in office by the Chicago/Illinois machine. Just take a look who the President is surrounded and advised by. Sad but true.

• Bob

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

With all due respect to the author’s hard work. Yes the story is interesting, yes the impact of the DC/media/lobbyist complex is real, and often life threatening, but you’re telling us nothing new. Or is there something new here that should make me want to read the book, or be a call to action? Or is this just DC’s version of star chasing reality TV?

The Lobbyists are basically Kim Kardashian that either an insane guy with a law degree or an insane guy that left the political office.

• amyj1276

OMG. Amen to the caller who pointed out that we the people rely on the few legitimate media outlets we have left in this country to not allow people–especially politicians–to get away with lying and bad policy ideas! Most people wouldn’t know real journalism if it spit on them, and that has resulted in political debates that revolve around fluff and no real policy discussion. We’ve dumbed down everything in this country, and need to have a resurgence of real journalism to bring us back to a developed country.

• Rango

The only legit media (somewhat) in the USA seems to be Russia Today (RT), because they employ and interview American political dissidents who don’t hold their punches. Whereas NPR, Al Jazeera, Fox etc are all beholden to the 1%’s foundations and corporations.

• Mrs. Eccentric

Michael!! Appearing on your show is a Privilege – if politicians cannot answer honest questions, they do not deserve the exposure and free access to media air time which your show provides. If they balk at your holding them to an honest standard, if they keep dancing around a full and honest answer to reasonable questions, they do not need to be on your show.

Use your power for good. 🙂 steph

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor