The Rim Fire that’s been raging near Yosemite National Park since August 17 is still weeks away from containment. The blaze has already destroyed nearly 200,000 acres — tens of thousands of which are within the national park — making it the 6th worst fire in California history. Firefighters have been using drones and backfire operations to control the inferno. We’ll take a look at modern firefighting and prevention strategies, and discuss what can be done to avoid similar disasters.

Daniel Berlant, spokesperson for Cal Fire
Scott Stephens, professor of fire science at the College of Natural Resources at UC Berkeley
Hugh Safford, regional ecologist for the U.S. Forest Service

• Ethos

What can we learn? Fire is bad. I don’t think there’s anything badder. That is what I’ve learned from the Rim fire. No wait, war is bad too. It is certainly badder than fire. And middle management. That’s badder than both fire and war put together. It’s hella bad. Scratches from angry cats are also bad, but not as bad as fire, and nowhere near as bad as middle management.

• chrisnfolsom

Again people argue about not know exactly what is going on is wrong – we make mistakes as we learn – yes, old policies of forest management were flawed – as they are today, but does that mean we were wrong for trying? Would the forest be better for not managing it? Forgetting that the big push for no management was to allow logging, or development. Would the fires be different letting logging companies do what they want? I don’t think so. You try, you learn, you try some more. We are learning with every fire, every drought and every study – it’s a process.

• Elizabeth Dougherty

Please read “The Rim Fire, Tuolumne River Watershed and Hetch Hetchy Reservoir: Connect the Fire Perimeter Dots”

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor