A recent study out of Northwestern University affirms the long-held notion that exercise improves sleeping patterns, but finds that for insomniacs, it takes four months of exercise for sleep improvements to actually kick in. We’ll speak with a lead author of the study about the latest research on exercise and insomnia.

Dr. Kelly Glazer Baron, assistant professor of neurology and director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine; and lead author of the study
Dr. Rafael Pelayo, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Stanford University Medical Center

• Fay Nissenbaum

Any advice for those of us who are DEAD at 7am but have to go to work regardless? I wake up TIRED everyday. it is quite difficult to fall asleep before midnight … I hate work schedules!
    The City

• Christina Wodtke

No screens two hours before bed. It’s tricking your body into thinking it’s daytime.
      Don’t look into the light.

• Genevieve

My boyfriend and I often end up staying up late coming back from evening events and/or working. For the same reasons, we don’t exercise after work because we know that we likely won’t get to it. Is it better to get 8 hours of sleep and forgo exercise in the morning, or wake up earlier to exercise and short-change sleep?

• Dhan_c

Is difficulty to fall asleep a qualitatively different problem than difficulty of staying asleep

• Chris OConnell

Marijuana may help. Edibles will especially knock you out.

• Fay Nissenbaum

Cannabis is far & away safer than ambien and any other pharmaceutical drug.

• Opinionator

Actually, the study shows the opposite: that sleep improves exercise, not that exercise improves sleep. At least that’s what the conclusion to the study’s abstract says:

“Results suggest that sleep influences next day exercise rather than exercise influencing sleep…. These results suggest that improving sleep may encourage exercise participation.”

It’s also worth noting that the study had only 11 participants, all of them women, with a median age of 61.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor