Katie Hafner

When Katie Hafner’s 77-year-old mother moved in, the San Francisco author suddenly found herself living with her ailing mother and her teenage daughter. In her memoir “Mother Daughter Me,” Hafner talks about navigating her new relationship with her mother, who was a recovering alcoholic and whom Hafner barely knew growing up. What happens when you reopen childhood wounds while trying to balance three generations under one roof?

Katie Hafner, journalist and author of "Mother Daughter Me"

Finished reading the book last week and it is one of the hardest books I have ever read because its such a painful story. But the ending is good.

Sure made me feel blessed to have grown up in a family and then married to a great man who were stable and all things positive.

• Anne

Aging in our society is taking on a new meaning which it should. Healing wounds from the past is never easy but the only way we grow. My Native American culture is so much the opposite. Families often live under the same roof multi-generationally and we learn from each other with each other. I truly was raised in a “village” welcoming all who had a need or wanted to give. When my parents needed me I was there for them no questions asked.

• Ajay

This is a big deal only in America (or most of the western world). In India, for example, it will be hard to find an older person not living with their children, along with their grand-children. Family is their social security. In fact, it’s frowned upon to not have your parents living with you as they age and need help.

You don’t choose your parents, they give birth to you. You take care of them regardless of circumstances you faced in your childhood.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor