Republican freshman Congressman Doug LaMalfa joins us to talk about his first year on Capitol Hill. He represents California’s 1st Congressional District, which covers Butte, Shasta, and the northeastern part of the state. The freshman congressman is a fourth generation rice farmer who recently helped pass regulatory relief to farms and ranches.

Doug LaMalfa, U.S. congressman (CA-01)

• Bob Fry

I’ve heard before the statement or claim that California has more than its proportional share of welfare recipients. True? If so, why?

• Chemist150

In my area, the race was between Swalwell and Stark: democrat and democrat.

Voter proposition made it so the two top primary vote getters only go to the final ballot. This silences other votes and is not democratic. They act as if the Libertarians and Republicans should be voting in Democrat pirmaries.

What can I do or is there anything that other politicians can do to fix this undemocratic process and regain our voices.

• Bob Fry

After the final election, close to half the electorate is unhappy. Deal with it. The Republicans in other states have so gerrymandered districts that they still control the House, even though a majority of the popular vote was for Democrats! You have it great in California.

• Chemist150

Of course it was majority democrat, they were the only ones on the ballot.

Do republicans in other states exclude democrats from the ballot? If not, you have no argument. And i if they do, that is also wrong.

It’s undemocratic to silence votes. Are you for slavery too and not allowing blacks to vote? or Women?

• Mood_Indigo

Mr. LaMalfa

As I see it, farmers in California are some of the biggest welfare recipients in the state with their water subsidies. The state has absolutely no business subsidizing water for water-hungry crops like rice and cotton in a desert state. Despite your fear-mongering of food security, rice can be grown without harming the environment in states like Louisiana. What do you have to say to that?

• Mood_Indigo

I say that as a fiscally-conservative Democrat who would have been a Republican had the GoP not been a party of gun nuts, religious zealots, and lately of nativist xenophobes.

Farming contributes less than 1% of the CA GDP and is the source of the greatest environmental depredation, illegal immigration and several other problems in this state. And now we have one of the problems representing the state! Great!

• Chemist150

Rice in the central valley does seem a bit over the top. I was amazed when I first saw that. Though I’m not sure what damage to the environment that you’re are suggesting, it does seem like a waste of good water but I don’t know what the ideal rice growing conditions are.

• Bob Fry

Well, the State Water Project (run by the state Dept. of Water Resources) is paid for by the users: San Joaquin Valley ag and SoCal urban. The Federal Central Valley Project is different, being heavily subsidized for decades.

• jurgispilis

Water use and population growth are crucial aspects of the current crisis of California. Water use by agriculture has the benefit of preserving open space – if the land is being used by agriculture, it won’t be transformed into housing tracts and suburban sprawl.

People complain about the use of water by agriculture. In the use of water, I have always wondered whether more water is used by a hectacre of housing tracts, or by a hectacre of agriculture? I think the Congressman would be knowledgeable to answer such a question.

People complain about water use by agriculture, but if those acres are transformed into housing, would even more water be used?

If we want to use water more efficiently, is housing the answer?

• Mood_Indigo

No, it’s not. That’s a false dichotomy between urban sprawl and destroying natural flora to create gigantic farms as in Central Valley. Land can allowed to lie fallow and conserved. Perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with land conservation methods.

• jurgispilis

But it’s not economic to allow the land to lie fallow. Granted there are many abuses in state agribusiness, but at least – at the very least – the land is being withheld from urban sprawl.

• Chess Hack

Caught about 5 minutes of this interview, including LaMalfa’s comments on Obamacare. Krasny, how can you allow a guest to spout GOP talking points uncontested. Not a word out of his mouth regarding healthcare or the impact of ACA was accurate. Why give the man a platform to spout his derp uncontested??

• Eric Anderson

Heard the Congressman Doug LaMalfa speak this morning and was enlightened to hear a California politician talk sensibly about our economy, the farm bill and food stamps. Definitely would liketo hear more from him.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor