After two women with similar genetic mutations were found to have astoundingly low cholesterol, drug companies began racing to release a super-drug that mimics that cholesterol-destroying mutation. New York Times science writer Gina Kolata and the director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Dr. Gary Gibbons, discuss these findings, and whether a super-drug could make high cholesterol a thing of the past.

Gina Kolata, science reporter for the New York Times
Dr. Gary Gibbons, director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health

• I’ll be Frank

The real question is, doesn’t blood cholesterol have an evolved purpose that should not be messed with?
    As Dr Robert Lustig of UCSF has pointed out, sugar consumption can raise bad VLDL and added fructose can cause hypertension.
    Why can’t people just change their diets instead of taking yet another pill?
    Have our minds been colonized by Big Pharma and Big Agriculture? Are we brainwashed to always provide them with profits?

• OldVet

Frank has it right. The body makes cloesterol for something. I hope Krasny will do a little etymology on ‘health’. Our commercial culture (if that is what to call it) so easily focus’s on the One Thing, and then provides The Answer. Get yours today.

Try thinking like God, or body creator for a minute. When veins are elastic, a pulse will shoot through them aided by the cell wall, Ah. When veins are flaccid they will exhaust the pulse and exhaust the heart in the process. If one is chair bound and does not move, might the body create some platelets to firm up the flaccid veinous walls so they at least act like a pipe…. and do not exhaust the heart?

Exercise and fiber folks. But this Big Pharma question I would like to raise: Dean Baker’s proposal to remove the patent premium on drugs. So many good effects would result, even if we ignore the savings.

Good One Frank

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor