marcialboher

Anthropologist Margaret Mead said “It is utterly false and cruelly arbitrary to put all the play and learning into childhood, all the work into middle age, and all regrets into old age.” If you’re in the second half of your life, you may have considered upending this cruelty by finding a new purpose in life through further education or a new job. Author Marci Alboher joins us to talk about her new book, “The Encore Career Handbook,” which offers guidance for midlife career switches.

Guests:
Marci Alboher, vice president of Encore.org, and author of "The Encore Career Handbook: How to Make a Living and a Difference in the Second Half of Life"
Judi Townsend, owner, Mannequin Madness in Oakland

• Pontifikate

Older people have something no young people have, and it’s much more valuable than knowing the latest tech application. It’s called judgement and perspective and unless you’ve experienced a lot of life, it’s hard to beat. Does no one value judgement and perspective anymore

• ccaufield

If you are an older person it can be very difficult to get hired, especially in this economy, for a position for which you are well qualified. Making a transition can prove equally if not more challenging. Of course you can volunteer and there are many opportunities for doing that, but many people need income.

• I changed careers from a CPA working in the accounting / compliance departments of a large international F500 company to teach yoga to people recovering from addictions. Yoga had made such a difference in my life I wanted to share with others. I did not plan to write a book about the power of yoga in this area, but I did! Due to my husbands careful financail planning I am able to do a nearly full time job that does not pay the bills.

• Artemisia1

Wonderful that you are doing this, there is so much need for this in the recovery process and yet not much focus among those running recovery programs, or opportunity for those in the process.

• Isabel

I went from working in HR for 8 years to find myself married with a small child and not missing my career. My husband and slowly started buying foreclosed and in bad shape properties. We live very frugally and pay the properties as fast as our income permits us. Proud to offer a home at a good rental price. None of our renters has left. We must be doing something well. Happier now.

• SteveM

After 21 years in high tech and experiencing stress symptoms I have studied massage therapy and now am a Certified Massage Therapist. I plan to keep studying to become and excellent healer and life coach. Finding that massage therapy is both challenging and rewarding and helping others feel better is a reward you cannot put a price on.

• Aaron

The necessity of Marci’s work makes me a little sad for our culture. To me it feels like the advice about how to handle the emotional aspects of transition are highly valuable.

And yet so much of this whole topic seems to come down to paying attention to what’s actually important to YOU throughout your life. For some people that may translate beautifully into an entire career in banking or corporate law. For others it’s being a park ranger or third grade teacher.

Bottom line to me is “better late than never.”

• eyasta

I come at this with from a different place. At a young age, I vowed NOT to have a meaningless career. So I’ve been in the Peace Corps, grad school, and pastoral care, among others. I took a break and now, at almost 50, I still feel strangely clueless and stuck about what to do next, whether a version of what I’ve done before or something else. Does your guest’s book address this or does she have any advice for people like me?

• Dawn Rucker

Hello, Elaine Yastishock. I have to think of “What”-importance- is a question that a Person is asking when you are as skilled; as, You are. Think of the benefit for Other People. You will guide yourself to be what You feel you want.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor