The red-hot Golden State Warriors, who are tied with San Antonio in their playoff series, are also facing some tough opposition off the court this week. At issue is the team’s plan to build a new $1 billion arena on San Francisco’s Embarcadero. The arena has the blessing of Mayor Ed Lee and other city leaders, but some neighbors and environmental groups oppose the project, saying it is inappropriate for the waterfront location. Supporters maintain that the latest design, unveiled on Sunday, preserves Bay vistas and reduces parking.

Show Highlights

Jennifer Matz, director of waterfront development at the City and County of San Francisco
Art Agnos, former mayor of San Francisco
Randy Shandobil, spokesperson for the SF Waterfront Alliance
Rick Welts, president and COO of the Golden State Warriors

• Starcasm Jones

Let’s be real: if they win the championship then it’s OK to let have them have this stadium and anything else they want. We’ll turn the grass in front of city hall into their practice facility, they’ll use google self-driving cars to get to the stadium, ridiculous lofts in SoMa, the key to the city, and as many papalote burritos as they can stomach. Because athletes and sports owners deserve to have everything they could ever want, unlike teachers or people trying to fix homelessness or something else the city actually needs. Also: Oakland has the better fans (I say this as an SF resident).

• Let’s do for the Warriors what the new ballpark did for the Giants .

• heatherfrank

How about let’s not congest our city even more than it is now!

• TimDoyle

The Warriors already have a perfectly fine Arena in Oakland. San Francisco’s mayor shouldn’t be in the business of stealing business from Oakland.

• Cole

No no no no no! Did you hear me?I said no!
    And I see from one of the pictures that the Fire Department will have its bay station there — does this mean the current, old-school water front station will be torn down?! Again, I say no no no no no.

• Patrick Berg

• stephen curry

Are you kidding me??? Look how far it goes into the Bay! Maybe we could add the A’s stadium, the Sharks arena, the Earthquakes stadium to the end of it. One more stadium and it’d reach the East Bay! Stay in Oakland where there are loyal fans!

• heatherfrank

HERE HERE.

• Claudia Keppel Yuhas

No No No …NO. Ridiculous. The PacBell ball park fits in with the gentle feel of old San Francisco…This sticks out like a sciFi sore thumb!

• Brad

Why are people so interested in preserving parking lots and crumbling structures as a feature of our waterfront? This project would be a boon to the entire city of San Francisco. We have long suffered the embarrassment of being unable to host large events that are ultimately sent packing to Oakland and San Jose. This project will provide a space that every San Franciscan will enjoy at some point or another and bring with it all the taxable activities that it will draw.

Those who think there are better options anywhere else “on land” are barking mad; there are no other points in the city where so many transit options come together (MUNI, BART, ferries, CalTrain). As well, the Central Subway will become the new “route” for AT&T Park.

There will never be a “perfect” project for the anti-development (“you can’t move into my neighborhood”) crowd. This project provides a benefit for far more people than any normal office our housing development ever would.

• thucy

What is so wrong with letting Oakland retain a profit-making venture? We have enough cash cows in SF. And this plan is an environmental disaster. Enough bread-and-circus arenas! We need more schools and after-school sports, not arenas for millionaire athletes.

• aa aa

Again the problem is not about building a facility on the waterfront area in general. Agnos himself said he is for the Warriors moving into one of the land-based, already-paved areas on the waterfront. The problem is this specific proposal’s expense and its need to pour a lot of new concrete into the waterfront (and with global warming big new entertainment facilities should NOT be put into the bay), and the fact that taxpayers will have to pick up so much of the bill.

• hajaxavier

i live in rincon hill two blocks away and i can’t agree with you more. i can’t wait to have access to that part of the waterfront instead of a fenced off parking lot.

• johnqeniac

i’m with agnos. screw the stinking rich and the stinking warriors

• aa aa

That’s not exactly what he says: he’s OK with a Warriors facility elsewhere in SF. His point is that the environmental problems there with pouring so much new concrete in the bay are too serious, and the taxpayers will ultimately end up paying big bucks for this profit-making venture because its so expensive relative to building something more modest on land. I must add that even land-based sports stadia have a very lousy history here: taxpayers do often end up subsidizing private business owners’ desire to have extremely expensive, top-of-the-line venues: quite a clever racket: get Joe six-pack to pay for as much of the capital improvements you that, as a private business, should pay for yourself.

• johnqeniac

Exactly. As jobs are outsourced and the masses descend into debt and squalor, the rich build colosseums for distracting the masses from their plight, while they (the filthy rich) finish the job of looting the society of its wealth).

• jo

what a missed opportunity for the city of oakland. what happened to the idea of building this arena in oakland? also, i ride bart from embarcadero to oakland for work and often am getting out of work when giants games end. transportation on bart is already a nightmare when giants games let out, especially at embarcadero, i can only see the situation getting worse.

• aa aa

As a former Oakland resident who remembers all the foolish, futile efforts & money Oakland spent to keep the Raiders I venture to conjecture that it has a lot to do with the fact that Oakland just does not have the cachet that SF has. And why stay in an old facility if you can hornswoggle foolish cities and their taxpayers to pay for as much of a new, much more improved facilty as possible?

• Sheila Nazzaro

I live in South Beach, SF…ONE stadium is enough! Consider the residents of all of the nearby neighborhoods (Rincon, South Beach, Mission Bay, etc.) and keep the Warriors in Oakland or another part of SF! Please. Dealing with traffic, drunk people and trash from ONE stadium (for at least six months out of the year) is all we can handle.

• Matt

NO. NO. NO. Look at the ugly towers near the aquatic park on the Northern waterfront. How many people are happy those were built versus keeping the vistas and views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge open for the public to enjoy. The Warriors are planning a similar 175′ WALL on Seawall Lot 330 on the Southern Waterfront. Do not destroy our waterfront. Build the arena on LAND, not on WATER!

• how about the 15 acre lot SalesForce.com is not going to develop in Mission Bay: Across the street from the water and ferry terminal can be built there at foot of 16th St. ????

• Claudio

As an Architect and resident of the neighborhood, I’m with Brad 100%.

This will be a huge improvement to that crumbled concrete pier!.
    (Which is already there. The above mentioned “thumb” will not be added, but manicured)
    Have you ever heard of the Sydney Opera House? The project was called a “White Elephant” during design and construction. It was a fiercely criticized project, which today is a symbol for a Country, not only for a city.

Also, if you are not familiar with the Architects, Snoheta, take a look at the brilliant projects they’ve been doing in Europe.

I said BRILLIANT!

Do you still think you are loosing the view of ….the water?…or the view of….Oakland?

I’m sure that 10 years from today, people will be paying premium to buy a property with a view of the arena.

• Claudio

Dear Sheila Nazarro, if you are not happy with the beauty of living in a metropolitan city, with its life, noises and traffic, move to Marin. You will find tons of peace there.

• hajaxavier

Dave said “lovely open space”?! when is the last time he walked by?! its a fenced off parking lot.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor