We check in on developments in Boston as the city reels from explosions near the finish line of Monday’s Boston marathon. How prepared is California for a similar emergency? We’ll also assess the nation’s efforts to prevent acts of terror.

Dean Karnazes, ultramarathon runner who ran the Boston marathon and author of "RUN! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss"
Michael Nacht, professor of public policy at UC Berkeley and former assistant secretary of defense for global strategic affairs
Mark Ghilarducci, secretary of the California Emergency Management Agency
Brian Michael Jenkins, leading terrorism authority with the Mineta Transportation Institute and the RAND Corporation
Martha Bebinger, reporter for WBUR, an NPR affiliate in Boston
Beth Goldstein, San Franciscan who ran the Boston marathon yesterday

• CriminalsRunTheUSA

The telltale sign that a “terrorist attack” was actually perpetrated by the government (which is termed a “false flag” operation), is that it is revealed that a government drill was happening just when the attack occurred, and that the drill covered the exact type of crisis that occurred in the attack.

Such coincidences have happened uncannily at

– Boston attack (a bombing drill was taking place all day long).

– 9/11 (which is why NORAD stood down et cetera)

– The London 7/7 attack.

– The Oklahoma city bombings.

The drill permits the actual perpetrators, if caught by the cops, to claim they were taking part in the drill rather than killing innocent people on purpose in order to further the agenda of the “owners” of society, who seek to dismantle democracy and our freedoms using “shock and awe” false flag attacks to justify a police state.

• thucy

Never thought I’d hear the great Dean Karnazes talk about anything but running. Sad. Having lived through 9/11 in NY, and having lived in Western Europe during the first gulf war, I have to say building security in California was always curiously sloppy. But that’s changed a lot in the last ten years. That’s a measure of prevention I can salute. Whereas drone strikes and unlawful detentions are a fake measure of non-prevention that just make things worse. Different adminstrations, same old abuses.
    We really blew it after 9/11. Let’s not make the same mistake again. And if this is an incident of domestic terrorism, as it appears on surface, let’s hope the FBI doesn’t persecute another Richard Jewell before years later realizing (doh!) it was Eric Rudolph.
    FBI has come to mean Federal Bureau of Incompetence.

• thucy

Forum Staff:
    Why did you pull my comment that criticized the FBI?

• thucy

Thanks for reinstating my earlier comment, but is there a reason it was pulled? It’s a pretty mild comment.

• Amanda Stupi

Our staff did not pull or reinstate the comment. Second time we’ve had this happen in recent weeks. I’m collecting documentation and filing a bug report. I wish I had a better answer. -Amanda

• thucy

Thanks, Amanda. I appreciate that.

This cowardice act was more likely done by home grown bloody criminals. Terrorism is always counter productive because it always harm their cause and may lead to the death of people they claim they represents. An example the case of Bin Laden whose criminal act on 9 11 2003 lead to the death of more than a million Muslims and others and the destruction of Muslim countries.

• Chris OConnell

Actually terrorism often is very effective. Whether it was the Jewish Zionists in the 40s or the Irish in the 70s-90s, or the US for the past 60 years (the attacks on Iraq being an indisputable case), the ruthless use of violence against soft targets often gets results.

• Gabriel Lampert

Nakedness should now be embraced (well, maybe use another word) for Bay-to-Breakers and the like, because at least the naked runner can be seen not to be hiding something.

• Sanfordia113

great, just when we were starting to slowly regain our civil liberties to live outside of the oppression of the Patriot Act, someone (probably a detached weirdo that got expelled from MIT) tragically kills a few people with a bomb. Neocons are chomping at the bit to impose Patriot Act II on us!

• Menloman
      On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011,[2] a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France:[3] roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the “library records provision”), and conducting surveillance of “lone wolves” — individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.[4] Republican leaders[5] questioned if the use of the Autopen met the constitutional requirements for signing a bill into law.

• thucy

the caller who wants “more rage” from the media should seek counseling. Reporters are not there to feel your pain. They are there to report as objectively as possible. We had enough “rage” post-9/11.

But bear in mind our government has been bombing innocent civilians in much greater numbers for the last ten years. But they’re poor Iraqis and Afghan people.

• Frank

The post-9/11 rage was misplaced, since it’s been proven beyond a doubt that the military industrial complex perpetrated 9/11. But people are easily suckered into believing unfounded claims, like the magical 19 Muslims theory. Similarly with Boston, the evidence of government foreknowledge is plain to see, and the FBI has a hugely checkered past involving handing live bomb to perpetrators and telling them to carry out attacks, yet the media propaganda machine which includes Krasny is working overtime to cause the maximum emotional impact on the public. The media want Americans to be hurt by the Boston event. Deeply hurt. Because it serves their masters’ purpose.

• Menloman

‘The bomber may have had something against runners, or legs, or Boston.’ The irresponsible idle speculation coming from the guests on this program is appalling. In what way is that helpful or informative?

• RJ

First and foremost, my heart goes out to those that lost loved ones and those that had horrific injuries that they will suffer from for years.

Our reaction to this type of event is that we must refuse to be terrorized. We must not let it change how we go about living our lives. It was great to hear some of the FB comments about people who will be more motivated than ever to run in a marathon or participate in a prestigious athletic event.

As one of the panelists stated, Law Enforcement cannot make us 100% safe and as citizens, we cannot expect them to. Even with a police state (and I know many would argue we’re already there), we would not be 100% protected from this kind of attack.

What we must also do is continue to treat each other as valued members of our community and we must demand that Law Enforcement do the same. When we start to treat each other as potential terrorists suspects, or allow LE to do that to us, terrorism wins.

Lastly, what we should not do is install metal detectors and other TSA-style security around marathons. If we do that, then the attackers target somewhere else that attracts large gatherings and is less guarded. Take that money and invest it in (lawful) intelligence gathering, investigation and emergency response. The emergency response was fantastic in this case, lessening loss of life for sure and mitigating the severity of sustained injuries.

• Nicholas D Bevins

I have 2 questions.
    1. Are the victims being charged for medical service?
    2. What about property damage?

• Helga

Seems like the attack was carefully planned by the government to frighten the public just to 1) stop the fuss around the gun laws, 2) to discredit Russia’s attempts to defend Syria from the international intervention. It’s all about the money, all about the oil and guns. The American Dream is against americans.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor