tollbridge2

On Wednesday, the Golden Gate Bridge will become the first in California to accept only electronic payment for bridge tolls, either with FasTrak, a license plate account or through pre-payments. We discuss what the changes mean for commuters and tourists, and we talk with a soon-to-be-unemployed toll taker about the end of the era of personal service on the iconic bridge.

Guests:
Jacquie Dean, toll taker at the Golden Gate Bridge
Denis Mulligan, general manager and CEO of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District

• Sammy

I suppose this change means that people driving stolen cars, unregistered vehicles, using fake license plates, and who have foreign plates will basically get a free ride. It’s OK though, Marin county is overrated anyway. I never go there anymore.

• John Tweed

Really ! No extra fees… does that apply to Car Rentals from say LAs Vegas. I doubt it. Where are the signs warning drivers that they are about to be stiffed by the car rental company to the tune of $100 or more.

• Cheryl

You should ask your rental agency @ the time if rental how much they will charge you to use their fast track. However if your rental has out of state plates you won’t be charged if you have no devise because fast trak can’t tap into any other states’s DMV except California. Another loophole!

where are the enforcement teeth for out of state registered vehicles?

• Cheryl

There are none. Even 18 wheelers ($30) registered out of state get a free ride!

• Jon Gold

What about motorcycles during carpool times!?

• Cheryl

You will be in the designated carpool lane

• Chris OConnell

I don’t like this at all. Cash is king no more. Cash isn’t even a pauper! (I have FasTrak, it’s not about me but those without computers, credit cards etc. etc.)

People share cars, families use them, friends use them. This complicates that. Forget the government, who continually increases its ability to track us or our cars, now even friends and family can tell if we took the bridge.

Not to be paranoid, but the point is choice. This corporate efficiency which tramples on the old, the odd, the quaint, the unorthodox, marches on voraciously.

• In 1967 my job for AT&T of opening envelopes & sorting checks was replaced with a machine; in 2002 my job as tech service provider was replaced by online help. – I don’t want to inhibit progress; I believe that our jobs should be able to stand on it’s on merits of the most efficient way of getting work done – but: for the whole society to progress we should always incorporate retraining workers and sharing the new found time and savings with the workers – this has not been done. When tellers were replaced with ATMs they tried to add fees to electronic transactions. – Workers have not benefited from the automatic progress in this country.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor