A new report shows student enrollment rates in California’s community colleges have dropped to a 20-year low. According to the findings of the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC), state funding cuts have severely affected whether students can access state education, and have hit returning students especially hard. We talk to the report’s co-author about the other ways the funding cuts have impacted students.

Sarah Bohn, research fellow at the Public Policy Institute of California

• Ambulamus

Welcome to the new era, when the criminal banksters count their yachts and homes on two hands, instead of their prison stripes, and the masses struggle to avoid homelesses. We have a president who worked for the CIA for years, and proves his Uncle Tom status daily. But no one protests and the few occupiers who do are beaten. It is the return of feudalism albeit a high-tech kind with security cameras on ever block.

• Kurt thialfad

Obama worked for the CIA?

• Ambulamus

Yes, in Pakistan, in Los Angeles, in Chicago. Also his time at Columbia was just a cover. This is documented.

• amy marsh

The guest Sarha is difficult to listen to because she says “uhm” far to often.

• Megan

I’m a current Community College student. I’m part of a theater program that’s being slowly cut away, and some of the cuts are ridiculous, especially for Arts and Physical Education-type classes. They’ll be drastically cutting classes and have been essentially eliminating repeatability, which is just not logical to arts type classes. You don’t learn to dance, draw, or act in one class.

• You mentioned smart, targeted allocation of funds going forward. Who is responsible for making those decisions as to how the funds are used?

• Hana

Community College made my dream of attending UC Berkeley possible! The cuts to both CC’s, UC’s and State Schools are deeply troubling on so many fronts.

• Donald A. Hagelberg

Grace Unto You and Peace,
    Can the course which MOOC has laid down “flip” the normal class taking by presenting the lecture material online and following up with in-site class meeting meant to be supportive, question-answering and test-taking?

• Anonymous

California is #1 in prison spending and #49 in higher education spending. We’ve become a state that incarcerates, not educates. Why do Californians accept and allow this?

• Kurt thialfad

It was interesting when the first question about foreign students was answered. The reply was that they pay more, and therefore support programs for local kids, but seemed ignorant on details (I suggest she do some research so she can give a more knowledgeable answer.)

Then another caller came on, and stated a typical class he attended was 40% foreign students! 40% – did I get that right? Though he spun this in a positive tone, these numbers have got to effect access for local kids. I don’t know, but I think the importation of foreign students should be highly restricted for institutions like community college, whose mission is to serve the local community, and forgo making big bucks from the higher tuition paid by foreign students.

• mountain_webbie

I also found it interesting that the guest didn’t really answer any questions, she just hit her talking points about the “mission” and finding more revenue streams. She also didn’t answer the question about the counselor failing the student who called in so he wasted a year of classes, and after saying classes were overcrowded and teachers being laid off, thus not enough classes for local people to be admitted, she repeated that they want to get more students in classes. She was a mouthpiece with little knowledge. I’m finding more and more of KQED radio programs like this, no substance, weak performance by the host in getting to the heart of any questions or answers.

• John Brown

Hey, if you want to download the SCOTUS DOMA audio here’s how: download the Firefox browser, then download the browser add on “download helper” to it. Then you can download it as an mp3.

• The College Of the Desert here in the Palm Springs region was caught for $5 million they “overbilled” Sacramento. Apparently nobody is accountable for the problems of that plus the nursing program that lost accreditation, the grand jury report ripping the police academy and the football team that recruited criminals from out of state. A massive new building program is underway while teachers are pink slipped and classes canceled. Thanks to the leadership by the board of trustees the past president was given the coveted “golden parachute” while replacing him with a new college president still engaged in a lawsuit against his former college employer. Now distinctively named as a prime example of inefficiency…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor