President Barack Obama

On Thursday, President Obama told House Democrats that his top priority is job creation. But what else will he focus on in his second term? We’ll preview Obama’s State of the Union Address. What do you wish the president would say on issues such as national security, unemployment and education?

George Condon, White House Correspondent for the National Journal
Susan Davis, Chief Congressional Reporter for USA Today
Todd Zwillich, Washington Correspondent Public Radio International's The Takeaway

• jurgispilis

Easiest way for Obama to create jobs is to lower immigration rates.

You seem to be confused regarding what it means to create something. I suppose if you’re angling for a bunch of new border patrol cowboys you may have a point. I’m sure everyone will be rushing south to fill those vaunted positions.

• jurgispilis

Sorry, I meant to say ‘a easy way to reduce unemployment’.

• Kurt thialfad

Obama doesn’t have the power to create jobs, he does have the power to lower immigration rates.

• Bob Fry

Sequester will “indiscriminately” cut $1 Trillion…but that’s over 10 years, right? Which is $100 Billion a year, a truly modest amount by any measure: annual spending, annual deficit, Pentagon’s annual budget, etc. Both Dems and Reps are promoting governing by crisis to achieve their party’s goals, which do not coincide with the needs of the country.

I hope you feel better now having gotten that off your chest. Have a nice day!

• Yef

Yef I did 🙂 But listen to the KPFA interview.

• GiorgioOrwell2nd

Please have Obama check Attny Gen Eric Holder’s pulse to make sure he is still alive…and if so, attempt to actually do his job regarding fraud at all levels of the financial industry. You’d be hard pressed to find a more ineffective Attny General in US History.

• Yef

Holder is a crony of the mortgage industry’s lawyers. Google it…

• Fay Nissenbaum

It is hypocritical for Obama to speak of global warming, when he won’t do anything about “fracking”, which is ludicrously exempt from the Clean Water Act. There are more controls on what the corner gas station does with automotive fluids, than there are for the billions of gallons of chemical cocktails pumped into the ground. While comprehensive climate change depends on the cooperation of other nations, Obama will not clean up what the oil companies do in our own backyard, so to speak.

Lastly, regarding the news media, I hope they won’t rush to call Obama’s speech – as they did with his inaugural – that he promotes a liberal agenda – when he continues so many policies of the Bush whitehouse, including approving even fewer Freedom of Information Act requests than Bush and continuing the budget-draining, life-killing thing called The War.

• Fay Nissenbaum

Michael, thank you for reading my comments on air.

• Fay Nissenbaum

@ guest Susan Davis: “The economy wants” – is a horrid phrase she just used. It obscures pay for play policy from the moneyed influence peddlers.
    If American big business “wants gov’t out of the way”, then why do they take and insist on government handouts?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor