Kevin Grant

Kevin Grant knows about life on the streets. He used to be an Oakland gang member, and did time in and out of prison for robberies and selling drugs. Now he’s back on the streets at night, but in a different role. He’s breaking up fights before they escalate into violence or murder in Oakland — and he’s talking young people into putting down their guns. Grant won the California Peace Prize for his work in November. He joins us to talk about breaking the cycle of violence and retaliation in one of California’s deadliest cities.

Kevin Grant, leader of Oakland Unite Street Outreach and recipient of the California Peace Medal
Nathaniel Mansfield, parolee being mentored by Kevin Grant
Ersie Joyner, captain in the Oakland Police Department who leads Area 3, also known as East Oakland, which runs east of High Street to the City of San Leandro border

• sosnewark

How do you explain the recent shooting in Brentwood, I think January 14. Two men in a car drive by 4 teens (age 13 and up) remark upon their shoes, Nike Converse, supposedly a gang mark. The teens are
    ignorant of the ‘importance’ of the Nike’s and not gang members.
    The teens get shot, luckily not fatally.
    What kind of lunatics do something like that? They have cars, guns,
    and no brains!

• Livegreen

I appreciate the work Kevin Grant is doing. However that is not the case of all Measure Y programs. The Measure Y evaluator has stated Oakland does not do a good job distinguishing between programs that DO work and stopping the programs that don’t.

I hope in future Oakland increases funding to programs that DO work, as well as to adequately staffing OPD (whose #’s seem to have more of a direct effect on crime). Even though I originally voted for Measure Y, if Oakland does not make these changes I cannot vote for it’s renewal.

PS. Measure Y’s renaming to Oakland Unite appears to be politically motivated to blame those who want improvements, instead of making real reform. Typical divisive Oakland politics ruling over practice.

• Janis

Right now Oakland is getting a lot of help from the CHP, for the past 3 months and added another month to the contract. What can Oakland do when they don’t have CHP?

• Matt

People Speaking of gun bans and red tape to curb violence as if criminals will fill out a form before committing a crime. What about operation gunwalker/ fast and the furious putting guns in the hands of criminals directly?

• disqus_csDKvNke6E

In The California Wellness Foundation’s video of Kevin, he makes the point that recidivism is 80% yet law enforcement doesn’t have to worry year to year about whether it will be cut from the budget. Just locking people up does not solve the issue of violence in our communities nor does it rehabilitate people. Investing in our youth is smart and ultimately saves taxpayers’ money. See the video at

• Beth Grant DeRoos

The questions not being asked are why do certain areas like Oakland have these problems yet low income areas elsewhere do not? What role do one parent or non involved two parent families have? What role does stressing the importance of education have?
    Black communities did NOT have these problems pre 1970’s. They did not have the single parent homes, or disinterest in education.

• Brandy Smith

The work is being done but the light on programs doing it is not being shed like said in the interview our societies diet is violence so what is the healthy alternative you can blame the factors I.e no money,race, etc. but what is the healthy alternative people doing something positive to balance the negative! Since our current generation is falling for anything it’s at this time we stand up and do something!!

• $22911251

Look Kevin, we all know that the code of the street is retaliation, so why are you so “blessed” to collect our tax dollars to say the obvious and yet play the street game of don’t snitch. No thanks.

and to Capt Joyner, about the concept of “our youth” again, no thanks, no youth I associate with are sociopathic killers.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor