Deepak Chopra

Are you using your brain to maximum advantage? In his new book “Super Brain,” physician and prolific author Deepak Chopra posits that we are living in a golden age for brain research, which provides a roadmap for boosting productivity and happiness. Chopra joins us to discuss “Super Brain,” co-authored with Harvard neurologist Rudolph Taniz.

Deepak Chopra, physician and author of more than 65 books

• FayNissenbaum

I was ga-ga over this topic back in the 1970s when it was said we only use ten percent of our brains, think what we could do if we only doubled that. I took meditation, read and practiced Tony Buzan’s mind mapping (Use Both Sides of Your Brain), superlearning, more correctly the Lozanov Method, which uses Baroque classical music to accelerate learning. Any opinion on actual techniques that work? Otherwise, the very successful Dr Chopra is the writer who hit lotto. Not truly replicatable.

• Matt G

I’m curious about Mr. Chopra’s thoughts on what I observe as the Western misinterpretation of self-observation that turns into a self-involvement. Thanks for the great show!

• Sachin Naik

Kids have a tremendous memory, cheerful and always playful and willing to learn. What is it that kills the kid in us and gets us into problems. Why not observe kids without any preconceived notions ? Any research in this area ?

• elizabeth

RE: Medication for depression…Chopra said depression is situational and talk therapy etc could address it. What about people who suffered childhood abuse for years? Not divorce, job loss etc. I’ve read that kind of stress can change the biochemistry of the brain and to address that chemical change, medication can be necessary.

• victoria s.

What is the name of the medical/health tracking device that Deepak mentioned that he is wearing?

• Aaron B. Binkley

Please, stop interrupting the speaker with flip comments (e.g., “can you get through air security with the biometric sensors”). He doesn’t always realize you’re “joking”, it is distracting, and you would be better served to focus on serious questions and comments.

• Sri

Are Yoga and Meditation the only ways to become self aware and for introspection? What else can we do?

• winston singh

Yoga & meditation is a means to quieting the mind and though process to answer 3 questions – it is enough to quietly contemplate on these 3 questions

who am I
      Where did I come from
      Where am I going

• As a graduate student at Berkeley’s School of Public Health, I am interested in how to principles of interception, biofeedback and mindfulness may be applied on a large scale. Perhaps enhancing the education of practitioners in this field? Developing formal outreach in this area? This is so important to self-care and an autonomous life, but I feel it is sorely underutilized on a population level.

• chrisnfolsom

I always like to think of the difference between feelings and reactions – you can always control, or learn to control your reactions. Many of us believe we “have” to react to things one way or the other – and use that as an excuse.

• Karen Clark

I have long appreciated Deepak Chopra and his contributions to human health and spirituality. I work in the area of Somatic Education known as the Feldenkrais Method and have gained much from the neuroscientist Antonia Damasio who’s books, The Feeling of What Happens, and Self Comes to Mind, attempt to detail how the body IS the mind- or at least not separate. I know from my own experience and from work with my clients that working through the body can reveal new movements and new behaviors- as in thinking- wherein we become conscious that we have choice. That to my mind may be one definition of health: the consciousness (the ability, awareness) that we have choice.

• Tim Matthiessen

For Dr Chopra: What can you say about the noetic sciences thoughts on the collective consciousness?

• Peter Abramowitsch

could you discuss the concept of directional time as it relates to consciousness

• menloman

In discussing evolution Mr. Chopra mentions Dr. Francis Collins, ‘he’s an evangelical Christian’, says Michael Krasny. What on earth was that supposed to mean? Does Krasny value Depak Chopra’s science over the director of the National Institute of Health? Apparently the English professor knows best.

• thriver7

i wondered about this too but my hunch is he was referencing the man’s religious stance because it is unusual for a scientist who supports evolutionary thinking.

• blozzom

Early on Mr Chopra talks about enjoying the biology that he enjoyed 35 years ago- a funny abstruse boast about his vim and vigor. Later, he is quick to correct Krasny on the exact number of books he has written- 68- more books than years he has been alive. It smacks of a self-impressed-ness, of an egotist, not the sage who is at peace with the cycle of both life and death, success and failure, pleasure and pain.

• chrisnfolsom

I agree – either he was in terrible shape 35 years ago, or he is lying…the body wears down – that is part of nature which he seems to try and work with generally. Perhaps there is some “mystical” separation between your mind and body, but I have never heard of anyone saying that our body has some mystical capabilities beyond physics/genetics and can live forever – with just graying hair.

I think this does a disservice to reason and life – I am sure we can all be in better shape, eat better, sleep better and such, but immortality? Let’s be real here. btw – I hope I am wrong, as that would be totally great 😉

• Jane Schultz

I was very disappointed with the interviewing style in this particular program. It felt like the interviewer was always trying gain the upper hand. I could never relax while listening because I always felt like Krasney was going to push Chopra down while he struggled up for a precious breath of air.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor