Moraga teenager Ryan Andresen has, for the second time, been denied the Boy Scout’s highest award of Eagle Scout because he is openly gay. We discuss the Boy Scouts of America’s policies barring homosexuals. Do these national policies affect your views of scouting?

Eric Andresen, father of Ryan Andresen who is fighting the Boy Scouts of America for denying his son's Eagle Scout application because he's gay
Zach Wahls, eagle scout and founder of Scouts for Equality
Alvin Townley, eagle scout and author of "Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts"
Carl Miller, eagle scout and den leader of Pack 186 in Novato
Andrew Penn, eagle scout

• Frank

Organizations that are all-male or all-female and where membership is non-compulsory will always have a higher homosexual presence than society in general, both among the rank members and the leaders. It’s like moths being attracted to a flame. Homosexuals are drawn to the Boy Scouts, the military, the priesthood, feminist organizations and heck, I’ll say it, even women’s rugby. Resistance is pretty much useless. Denying a kid an award that he deserves is petty, ugly, and shameful, and provides a clear message: “We’re not as good as you, and we’re going to prove it.”

• Christine

Yes, it affects my view of scouting. I would really like my sons to try scouting but until they stop these discriminatory policies I can’t support the organization. Discriminating against people is not a quality that I want my boys to think is acceptable on any level. I understand that the local groups may be different, but I couldn’t hold my head high and say that I supported the organization and what they are teaching my kids.

• David

An adult being a part of the Boy Scouts of America organization today is equivalent to being a member of a country club that won’t admit Jewish people or Black.

We can’t blame the kids, but we can definitely blame the parents. While many Bay Area scout troops have inclusive policies, it seems like the adult leadership refuses to stand up to the National Organization. Until the adults who lead the Bay Area’s Boy Scout groups PUBLICLY denounce the national leadership as bigots and begin threatening to secede, we can fault every adult involved in local scouting.

Also, local governments should pass bans on any funding to the Boy Scouts, including donated space and free use of classrooms. Bay Area taxpayers aren’t bigots, so our money shouldn’t go to bigotry.

• Bob Fry

I don’t agree with banning gay scouts (boys), but as for the scout-masters, having gays there is like having straight guys be in charge of a girl scout troop. Why take the chance?

• Brian

The B.S.A. Venturing program is coed. As such, your argument regarding taking a chance does not apply to the B.S.A. B.S.A. has documented policies and practices to deal with coed situations.

I’m a former Scout with a son and daughter in boy scouts and girl scouts.
      Following the logic of those who believe in the theory of keeping gays out of scouting to protect the scouts, the program should then only allow lesbian women as leaders. The long standing problem of heterosexual leaders abbusing scouts would be solved once and for all.

• Casey7931

I’ve read that John Fenoglio, the head of Ryan’s boy scout group, said that he was not personally opposed awarding an Eagle badge to Ryan, but had to act as he did because of rules imposed by the national BSA organization. Is this true? If so, it’s a shame Mr. Fenoglio did not stand up for what he apparently believed. He’s an example and role model to the boys in his group – he missed an opportunity to show them what it means to take a stand on a difficult issue.

• michelle

John Fenoglio gave his word that he would forward it to the National BSA, but when it came down to actually doing it, he did not. He is a paid employee of BSA and wasn’t willing to stand up for what was right. Another example of the “character” the BSA is building. A really sad day for scouting.

• David

(first sentence of previous comment should end “Jewish people or Black people)

• Julie Wilson

My sons’ bay area boy scout troop put out a statement saying they do not discriminate against race, religion or sexual orientation. Scouting is a wonderful program which exposes boys to a wide range of opportunities and experiences – from leadership, service, adventure, camaraderie, goal setting, etc., etc. In my opinion, all a positive for our future young men.

I felt very strongly about the Ryan Anderson story. My boys have both been in scouting since first grade and are on the path to become Eagle Scouts. If they were denied this honor because of their sexual orientation I would be up in arms as well. Unfortunately, I have heard from sources close to this issue that there are other factors effecting the denial of his award. I believe the topic is a very good discussion to be had but his story should not lead this discussion unless all the facts are told.

• I am close too, and if there were any other concerns, they would have been raised at Ryan’s Eagle Board of Review. They were not. If you know of a reason, or someone who has another reason, I’d love to hear it.

• Mike

BSA’s press statements say that Ryan “proactively” stated that he is an atheist. It’s not true. This was brought up on the show- he never said it and Duty to God was also discussed at his Board of Review. He once said that he is Agnostic, which is sometimes confused with Atheist. If being Buddhist (which is non-theistic), or Hindu (which is polytheistic) or a Jedi-ist (really happened!) are OK, then only a confused leader could say that being Agnostic isn’t. And in fact, the individual who accused him of being Atheist has since apologized for the confusion. But the falsehood persists in the BSA press releases.

• As the wife of an Eagle Scout and the mother of two scouts currently in BSA/Transatlantic Council in Paris (until recently part of a troop in the East Bay from the same council as Ryan), the narrow-mindness of the organization on this topic does bother me a lot. I do not like the message this policy sends to my boys : that people who happen to be gay should be treated differently. I am also very bothered by the confusion in many people’s mind about being gay and being a child molester. That is a such a quaint view, it is hard to understand.

• michelle

In the BSA’s own words, “the BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness.” Do we want to build character that promotes discrimination and bigotry? I would certainly hope not.

Did Ryan Andresen know when he started as a Cub Scout at age six that he was gay? I doubt it. But he dedicated himself to the organization for the next twelve years just the same. He built an incredible ‘tolerance wall’ to address bullying in the area, completed hours of community service, and met all the requirements for an Eagle Scout status. And yet he was denied because at age 18, he came out as being gay. Did it affect any of his work over the past 12 years? No.

• David

I keep hearing talk about the National Leadership. I believe the President of the United States serves as the honorary President of the scouts. Has anyone considered asking him to step down from this post in protest?

• KE

i was not aware of this. great suggestion.

• Jp Li

I was a scout since 11 and went through the whole process . Our troop started with 4 kids and grew to around 60. I was heavy involved in both scouts and other activities in school. I had done everything needed to become an eagle scout but was also denied because I was 1 month short of a continuous 6 month activity.

After all I had done, no one in my troop stood up and helped me. I left disappointed in the scouts but proud that I learned all I needed to

• Andrew Whelan

As a child I was an openly gay Boy Scout. I made it all the way to Heart Rank and left when I turned 18. In my time with the scouts they regularly kept me in a room separate from the rest of the troop and made me to camp in a tent by myself, which was against the scouts own safety rules.
    I was regularly harassed and belittled by the scout masters. While the policies of the organization seem to put a lot of effort into catering to certain types of people, the homophobia I dealt with was a blatant action by those directly involved with the boys in the troop.
    The Boy Scouts of America need to become a more tolerant group or they will waste away in the dust of progression.

• Steve

I’m an Eagle Scout and Cubmaster of my son’s pack.

Like any private organization, the BSA needs to grapple with this and come to its own decision, with encouragement from its pro-inclusion business leaders on our national board, and from outside as well.

BSA’s intolerance is hurting our recruiting efforts and fundraising efforts here in California, not to mention hurting the families that are excluded.

I believe this is a good opportunity for Scouting to model Freedom of Religion for those churches that sponsor a Scout Troop or Pack and are among the roughly half of all mainline Protestant churches who feel called to accept LGBT members and clergy. If we let each church-sponsored Troop or Pack decide according to its faith, we can allow LGBT Scouts to be in Scouting without threatening the beliefs of the more conservative units.

Thank you, Ryan, for showing us that “A Scout is Brave”.

• DanielAyer

Could you ask your guests what the impediment would be to starting up
    competing organizations for the BSA? Can’t we just out compete them in
    the marketplace of ideas and create an all inclusive scouting
    organization for everyone?

• Tony Porterfield

Check out Navigators USA and Baden-Powell Service Association. Both of these scouting organizations have inclusive policies

• JohnSmithy4

Why don’t a bunch of former high-level Boy Scouts get together and form a parallel, alternate organization — say the Boy “Adventurers” — that parallels the organization in every way, except for the homophobia. Then invite existing troops in and award the Scouts parallel seniority in terms of merit badges and everything. Would that be a viable solution?

• While you could, BSA has accumulated 100 years of assets and real estate in the form of scout camps that would be difficult but not impossible to replicate. In addition, “converting over” becomes challenging for all those current Scouts who are mid-flight; for example, if you’ve been in Scouting 10 years, how do you switch to a new organization? Third, for parents who were in Scouting as kids, this dogma was not part of Scouting back then nor is it part of any of scouting’s documented values or beliefs, for example in the Scout Oath or Law. There’s no reason why it should be today. I’d like my kids to have the same or better experience I had. We have some troops in the SF Bay Area that are 80-90 years old and there’s a strong desire to continue the tradition. So rather than asking “Why don’t you guys leave and start your own troop?” I ask, “Why don’t those who are rigidly distorting Scouting’s principles go have THEIR own troop?”; or if I want to be less polarizing, “Why can’t we each have our own policy that aligns with our Chartered Organization and local community?” Our recent local parents meeting was 23-0 to overturn this policy. 2/3rd of the Troops in our district want to overturn this policy. Why should we all leave? Everyone is passionate about this because we care about our kids and like the 99% of Scouting. We want to change this 1% that creates such a black cloud. We want a troop that reflects the beliefs of our local community — and want to teach our kids to be inclusive and tolernant.

• J. Henson

I totally agree with your excellent response, Mr. Tennant.

I’m the mother of two former scouts (one yet another Eagle scout). I don’t believe that this dreadful policy, handed down from the people at the top, reflects the opinion of the majority of those involved in scouting. . But I’m very afraid that it will destroy the wonderful organization that, for many years, enriched the lives not only of my children, but of our entire family.

(I rather regret that I am no longer involved and thus cannot express my own views from within. For I think that grass roots efforts at change are not only preferable, but will probably be more effective than pressure from without)

• KE

My son was in cub scouts at a young age and I served as a den mother one year. While we liked scouting, we decided to drop out in part because of the BSA anti-gay policy. We are glad we did because now, years later, we’ve learned our son, a teenager, is gay. I’m relieved that he didn’t continue to devote time and energy into an organization that would not have supported and welcomed him as he grew into a young adult.

• Tim

Two Things: Please mention that you can sign Ryan’s petition at

The other thing i wanted to mention is when the Boy Scout’s take a stance against gay right’s they (knowingly or not) become a haven for homophobic activity. I want my son to enjoy the Scout’s in an environment that is similar to my own belief system. If they refuse to change we will be exiting the Scouts program.

• Sam Tab

I am a scoutmaster and dad of two eagles. I value the program but not the politics. The solution is pretty simple

1. Follow the money

2. Create another US Scouting Organization called the Progressive Scouts of America and get a charter from the world scouting organization

Case and point India had two scouting organizations, Ireland had the protestant scouting organization and the catholic scouting organization.

So why not get some benefactors to bank roll PSA

Scouting is a jingoistic, mind-washing, militaristic, shallow endeavor whose traditions are quaint and conservative at best. If this is what you want to instill into the children of your community, go for it. I cannot imagine why you would. There is nothing honorable here. I don’t want “leaders” from a troop or council. I want leaders who can think for themselves and are willing to think against the grain, not follow the pack.

• David

You keep talking about the “National Leadership” as if they are a faceless group. They are not.

The leaders of the BSA are prominent people and they have names. Not naming their names makes it harder to put pressure on them. So here is a list of names:

Did Ryan pass his local eagle board of review or not? The local board determines whether he meets the requirements to be Eagle.

• Yes, he did. The news here was the local Eagle Board of Review was held for Ryan just before Christmas within the required 90 days of his 18th birthday, even though he had already been kicked out of Scouts by National. The local Scouting community was outraged at this, and decided to hold an Eagle Board of Review to understand and/or confirm whether Ryan met the requirements to become an Eagle, even though his Scoutmaster never signed off on his application. That board of four volunteer Scoutmasters and very experienced adult leaders who have done this for many other Eagle Scouts reviewed Ryan’s application, interviewed him, and assessed his advancement against all the criteria needed to become an Eagle, including any prior concerns with Duty to God and whether he successfully completed his Eagle project by the timelines needed. That volunteer Board concluded he did meet the requirements. That recommendation was passed up to the Council, where the application was denied.

What can scouting parents, individuals, churches and interested citizens do if they want to help change this policy?

• Write a letter today, as a parent or ideally, as a troop, urging BSA to change their policy and publicly welcome all boys into your local chapter in conflict with the BSA policy. This policy will change IMO. Hopefully sooner rather than later with the urging of good concerned citizens like yourself.

• Sign up on Scouts for Equalty. Put it on the agenda at your pack or troop parents’ meeting. Reach out to like-minded Troops to see how to create change with your Coucil. Write letters to your local council and national. Contact me if you want the playbook we’ve been using locally, email steve at – after emailing, you’ll need to reply to an email from my SPAM filter

• Anushka here: sorry my call got dropped. We DID immediately write a letter to the Council and the National organization to change their discrimatory policies.

• Troop 19 in Berkeley is working to change the Boy Scouts from within

• Awesome. So are about 10 troops in Ryan’s district. Other Troops interested in joining the cause should join Scouts for Equality to be connected with others. You can also designate if you’d like to lead the effort for your local community. While I’m not part of SFE, I have met with them and recommend working with them. They are all former Eagles and good guys. Zach as you can tell is an impressive speaker at his young age.

• Rod Sinks

I’m Scoutmaster of Los Altos Troop 37. Our chartering organization, Los Altos Rotary, has sent a letter of protest to the National organization. A BSA Council in the Minneapolis area has defied National policy for several years.

Why can’t our local Councils do the same?

• Even the MN council, Piedmont, Boston Minuteman, and others have had to pull back due to pressure from National. Councils must band together and approach National. Find out if your Council is interested in exploring how to work together to change the policy. Contact Scouts for Equality if your council is interested, as Mt Diablo and Northern Star have committees researching their options, among others.

• Sara Russell

Im an assistant den leader, mom to cub and boy scout. Its a fantastic program. I too am sorely disappointed with this policy and I believe working from within to change the policy is the most effective path to change.

• Troop 19 in Berkeley welcomes all boys.

• Karen Rouleau

I had a similar experience as the previous caller regarding lack of accommdations for boys with special needs. Both of my children are hearing-impaired. My daughter, as a member of the girl scouts, was accommodated and remained a girl-scout for years.

My son’s experience in the boy scouts, however, was very different. His father was his den leader since the second grade. When my son started in middle school, and needed to join a larger middle-school den, he experienced rigidness from the den leaders. When I asked for simple accommodations so that my son could understand what was spoken at the meetings, they refused to make any accommodations. Frustrated,my son dropped out of the boy scouts. We were very disappointed with the Boy Scout organization and have always felt the Girl Scout organization in comparison has been far superior.

• A Rudolph

I to grew up in scouts. my Dad was an Eagle scout. we went even went to Philmont Ranch one summer. I thought it was a great organization. I loved learning the skills they taught, the camp outs and backpacking trips. Back them the scouts focused on and taught civic responsibility, ecology and the need to give back to our communities. As an adult I gave and helped raise thousands of dollars for local scouting through the Construction industry Lumch-o-ree programs in San Francisco.

Now I am ashamed of the organization that I supported. I think the the thing that changed with Scouts is that their management changed on the national level and there is an outwardly anti gay agenda.
    We also worked with local Girl Scouts and helped rehab some of their local camp buildings. They have a wonderful organization, I can’t say enough about their leadership and their commitment to helping and guiding young women. This is not an issue with the Girl Scouts.

• Markene

I am a registered Boy Scout merit badge counselor, and the mother of an Eagle Scout. In my experience, BSA provides an excellent leadership program for youth and adults, but it’s tainted by an anachronistic, discriminatory official policy on homosexuality. Until officials at BSA national headquarters in Texas rescind that outmoded policy, local units and their sponsor organizations will continue struggle with lost opportunity to serve many deserving youth and adult mentors.

BSA needs to hear how their ill-informed prejudice corrupts an otherwise outstanding program. A policy that excludes people based on sexual orientation is a failure of national leadership. It produces “closet Scouts” who choose not to fully participate or identify with the group because it promotes hurtful discrimination.

The U.S. military ended their “don’t ask don’t tell”
    policy on homosexuality. BSA national leaders need to educate themselves on this issue, and address their unwarranted fears.

• John Mackie

I am an Eagle Scout (and the father of two boys.) I would welcome Ryan as a fellow Eagle…congratulations. I strongly disagree with the policies of the national scouting organization regarding gay scouts. My scouting experience was fantastic for me…I see nothing in the nature and principals of the organization I knew that would or should bar someone who identified themselves as gay.

• Nancy

My son has been in Cub Scouts in Marin County for five years and will be eligible to bridge to Boy Scouts this spring. My husband and I have been having an ongoing debate about whether to allow our son to continue with Scouting given the discriminatory policy of the national organization. We are really struggling with this decision. I’d like to thank Michael Krasny and everyone on the panel for expressing such thoughtful views on this difficult subject. I’m still not sure whether we should yank our kid out of Scouting or try to help change the organization from within — but it was still helpful to hear from others on both sides (all sides?) of the issue.

• SherenaTang

Right on to the BSA for holding their ground!!! The disturbing history of The International Lesbian, Gay, Association (ILGA) and other prominent LGBT organizations to support groups like the North American Man Love Boy Association (NAMBLA) for decades and allow them to march in countless Pride parades (Google it!); and the “1972 Gay Rights Platform” which sought to repel all age of consent laws (Google it please) by some 200 LGBT organizations is totally UnAmerican!!! While there are religious bigots there are legitimate concerns that civil people do have that go ignored. LGBT organizations that support Ryan Andresen have to speak to there voting records and explain why people of all influences should have no concern before we trust their sponsorships. We need civil debate and not the name calling antics we see going on today. Children first!

• Mike

I did Google it, and you are wrong: The ideas that gays promote pedophilia, or want to “promote their lifestyle” to straight boys rather than merely asking that their orientation not be an issue, are falshoods promulgated by those who want to deny them simple human dignity. So decades ago, a few wacko gay groups supported NAMBLA. There are lots of heterosexual pedophiles- and even most of the men molesting boys otherwise identify as heterosexual- yet no one accuses heterosexual,s as a group, of promoting pedophilia.

• SherenaTang

You mean you Googled “1972 Gay Rights Platform” and have nothing to say about the reference to repelling age of consent laws? Let me help you by wording the official proclamation: “Repeal all laws governing the age of sexual consent.”

As for heterosexual-pedophiles,of course the sickos are out there and should be dealt with by law as with all, gay or straight, who violate any child. However, the concern comes from the fact that an organization, International Lesbian Gay Association (ILGA) “PUBLICLY” supported such a group and only recanted it’s position once funds were threatened. Hard to believe that the withdrawal was based on moral grounds. I know of no other organization other than ILGA to boldly announce its support of such filth, do you? It just so happens to be within the LGBT community. It is only natural to raise questions. Not name call or attack, which I do not condone, however QUESTION. Read NAMBLA’s own words on the ordeal. Also, NAMBLA marching in Pride parades hardly comes across as some random isolated incident. From Harry Hay to Larry Kramer to Allen Ginsberg; many prominent LGBT leaders have shared positive words about NAMBLA. Only after the controversy, did they start to catch heat from among many in the community as shown here: And let’s not forget that NAMBLA’s last meeting was here in Hayward, CA; not to mention their West Coast head chapter in San Francisco. Concern for children given the history here is legitimate. The is nothing wrong with having civil discourse regarding concerns. What person putting children first would argue that?

• Mike

I don’t think you have really disagreed with me, nor I with you in a way. One group of crazies in the 1970s or early 80s does not represent an entire class of people. It’s like saying that the Black Panthers then represents many or all African Americans. In the 1970s, sexual exploration was rampant among both gays and straights and sometimes without regard for anyone’s well-being. That doesn’t mean that gays, as a group, are interested in children!

• SherenaTang

“One group of crazies…” Are you kidding? The clause repealing “age of consent” was adopted at the National Coalition of Gay Organizations Convention at the signature of hundreds of LGBT organizations. This is by far more then “one group of crazies.”

Also, the Black Panthers argument is weak and flawed because The Panthers “PUBLICLY” represented a movement that advocated violence and use of arms where as many African Americans sided with MLK, who “PUBLICLY” voiced social justice by peaceful means. Grouping all African Americans under that umbrella would only stand if presented to someone who knows little about that era. Black organizations DID NOT all sign on to a landmark platform; unlike the example earlier stated.

Also, I am not saying that ALL gays are a threat to children by no means, HOWEVER, that there exists a history of LGBT organizations that have PUBLICLY supported groups and ideas that have been harmful to children and given such a history who could be so open to the notions of welcoming organizations that sponsor Mr. Andresen and not be required to answer for there past voting records? No ONE is above questioning when it come to the concerns of children.

And let’s not act as though these are wild ideas that only existed in the 70’s and 80’s. Many of today’s celebrated LGBT leaders who supported NAMBLA, PROJECT TRUTH, MARTIJN, etc. still hold positions of authority and dare not removed to this day. Also,the gay porn category of “Twink” (young men resembling pubescent boys) has been noted as one of the fastest growing video categories, according to Out magazine.

Where is the outrage within the LGBT community for this level of filth as is the case with parent and civil groups?

I understand the BSA’s reluctance. There needs to be further open dialogue on the matter.

And I’m glad we agree that NO group is above questioning for there past voting records.

Children’s welfare, FIRST, above ALL!

• Mike

Last thing I’m going to say about this. If the leaders you speak of wanted to be involved with Boy Scouts, anyone including me would throw up a giant red flag. Perhaps those people were both gay and pedophiles. But gay and pedophilia are not related.

Venturers is a branch of scouting that is co-ed, ages 14-21! No one is afraid about that.

Here’s the bottom line: If someone wants to volunteer with Scouts, they’ve passed background checks, and the local troop wants them- or if they have already been volunteering for years and the troop values them- who is National BSA to say that person can’t participate because simply because they are gay? Many valued people have been removed, not because the troop no longer wanted them, not even because the troop didn’t know they were gay, but because National forced them to leave.

Who is National to say that a boy who joined Scouts when he was 6 and participated with distinction is now a threat because he was honest? This is the issue the military grappled with and we know the result there. I believe that this is the ONLY case of an Eagle application was denied after a Board of Review approved it.

• SherenaTang

I am totally appalled and in utter disbelief at the level of selfishness and disregard I’m hearing. NOT ONCE did you show any disgust or real concern for the cycle and pattern of disturbing FACTS that history has shown us over time regarding LGBT organizations and youth, however, have chosen to brush them off and look in another direction to further rationalize your point.

It’s like an irresponsible NRA member rationalizing others to take NO caution,concern, or action in the wake of a series of recent and past patterns of gun violence but, instead, focus the argument on ONE case to hold your position.

You stated: “If the leaders you speak of wanted to be involved with Boy Scouts, anyone including me would throw up a giant red flag.”

The FACT and PROOF that many of these SAME LGBT organizations are NOW sponsoring Mr. Andresen and his efforts should be all the red flag you NEED!

What are you waiting for? Someone to come out and say, “I’m gay and like little boy scout!” (Not to say that ALL with the LGBT community would say that of course) The pattern has always been far more subtle at times. Get real Mike!

This issue can’t be railroaded unless meaningful dialogue takes place first. However, it going to take honesty on BOTH sides if we’re going to truly speak in the BEST interest of our children.

OMG…some people…

• MattCA12

I signed Ryan’s petition, because he is an intelligent young man who understands the value of hard work, leadership and dedication. We need more people like him in the world. To me, it seems awfully meanspirited for the BSA to keep him from the Eagle award, when he has so obviously earned it. But I’m not sure the BSA can legally be made to accept gays; aren’t they a religious organization? In my view, the case can be more clearly made to require marriage equality under the law, which I fully support. I believe we will one day see a BSA that incorporates gays into its membership as full equals, and Ryan’s case and others like him will do what needs to be done: start the debate in America.

• I wonder if local scout troops could defy the policy, get kicked out of the national organization and form their own national organization offering a more open minded brand of scouting? Or at least something very similar to scouting. It was mentioned once during the show that an alternative scouting organization could be formed. Maybe someday, the National Boy Scouts will change, but in the meantime, more open minded local troops could form a new organization, so folks like your guest who were denied the Eagle Badge could receive an equivalent award and still have that experience.

• Jim Washington

I had been involved with BSA for more than 50 years starting as a Cub, being a Scout, becoming a Den Leader for two Dens, Assistant Scout Master, Scout Master, Merit Badge Counselor, High Adventure Leader, and Eagle Advisor. I am now totally separated from BSA because of their restrictions concerning Gays, Girls, and Aethiest (God Less—The 3 Gs).

I assisted more than ten scouts in becoming Eagles. These Eagles are now considering returning their Eagle Ranks due to BSA policies concerning the 3 Gs. These Eagles are also now beginning their families and most are deciding not to get involved in BSA organizations.

I discovered the Sierra Clubs Inner City Outings as a alternative to participate with youth in back packing. ICO is fully inclusive and I enjoyed being a certified leader for ICO for seven years.

I am very impressed with the Baden-Powell Service Organization and have recommended to my past scouts to use that scouting organization for their children. I hope to assist with the growth of the Baden-Powell Service Organization as an diverse scouting option for today’s youth.

Working from within BSA is futile. A much better option is the Baden-Powell Service Organization. Let’s hope that B-PDO grows and provides Scouting for All.

Sincerely, Jim Washington, Scouter (but not BSA)

• ProudEagleScout mo Berkeley

I’m glad that the MDSC excluded Ryan from achieving Eagle Scout. He and his family knew going into scouting what the rules were. Just because he has chosen a homosexuals lifestyle and now he is making it a homosexual agenda does not mean that BSA has to adapt to the political correctness of the Bay Area ( AKA gay area). I would never allowed my son to have join a troop that had a homosexual leader/master

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor