Robin Sloan

Bay Area-based author, former Twitter employee and self-described “media inventor” Robin Sloan joins us to talk about his acclaimed debut novel, “Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore.”

Robin Sloan, author of "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore"

• Ron

Is your book available as an ebook? sounds fascinating, having spent 30 years in Silicon Valley myself. I’d like to read it on my electronic toys.

• Frank

Speaking of libido, I heard there’s a bar in Silicon Valley where all the Russian and Ukrainian husband-seekers go to latch onto their future income streams. Maybe it’s in Los Altos?

• FayNissenbaum

Regarding your comment just made about Twitter, et al, locating in San Francisco, fine – but why PAY them to relocate here?? Remember free enterprise which these companies stand for, i.e., ingenuity, thinking outside the box, and success of ideas against odds?!?
    Handing tech company taxpayer dollars is a transfer of the public’s money for private profit. The guest is airheaded Pollyanna in this regard, sorry.

• Frank

Wisdom dictates that people who truly love technology will write code or create hardware regardless of whether they are paid or not, or whether they are in Silicon Valley or Podunk, Iowa.

• TimDoyle

Supposedly in India New Delhi there is a great economic divide between the Tech English New Elite and the poor uneducated people. The Rape victims supposedly were attacked in a situation like this.

• As a publisher at shoot your eye out publishing ebooks and enhanced ebooks will continue to replace print books. As printers, paper, ink and bookstores disappear the price of print will increase, supply and demand. Print books will become expensive luxuries.

Also at midcentury if current birth rates hold there will be a human die off as most of the world will be old then. China may drop to 700 million. Everybody will be like Us today with retirement of babyboomers. But it may be the very best thing for the entire world in the history of humans. Land, resources, energy, and food will become much more abundant.

• On the books vs. technology question, why not both? I use the iPad for management & technology books. When it comes to poetry, though, it has to be a physical book – the paper, the font, the words over time. Something to treasure.

• Wally Jansen

The Internet Archive, run by Brewster Kahle, does keep the books it scans in. It has a huge warehouse in Richmond to store the books it scans in. My understanding is that this gets around the copyright problem and allows them to loan out a single digital copy of the book just as a bricks and mortar library can loan out their copies.

• FayNissenbaum

Not mentioned in physical books are the GRAPHICS! Four-color printed illustrations, maps, and photos cannot be reproduced on the world wide web. Stop touting the bowl of kool-aid, please! Also, newspapers online have universally diminished the writer/journalist in favor of cribbed or aggregated stories from others without compensation. Junk celeb trash stories rule the day online. very sad.

• Jim Kremer

Loved the book. This discussion reminds me of the great video about tech support for a book, about Middle Ages transition from scrolls. Easy to find on YouTube.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor