Late Tuesday evening the House passed a deal to prevent automatic federal spending cuts and tax increases, avoiding the infamous “fiscal cliff.” We’ll look at what was in the deal and how it may set up future political battles over how America spends its money. And, we’ll get insights on what the deal teaches us about about the art of negotiation.

Jerry Nickelsburg, adjunct professor of economics at UCLA's Anderson School of Management and senior economist with UCLA Anderson Forecast
Heidi Przybla, congressional reporter for Bloomberg News
Robert Mnookin, director of the Harvard Negotiation Research Project
David Wessel, economics editor for The Wall Street Journal and author of "Red Ink: Inside the High-Stakes Politics of the Federal Budget"

• lindamat2001ca

Hi, I’d like to remind your guest David Wessell … the Estate Tax is NOT a tax on the person who dies. This is NOT a Death Tax, and I object to Mr. Wessell implying that it is.

The recipient of the money is the one who is taxed. Taxes are incurred when money changes hands, just like with other transactions.

-Linda Mattson

• Dune Buggy

I irks me to hear Social Security described as an entitlement. it is not. SS is a savings program, whereby people put in all their lives, and withdraw the money when they retire. Congressional pensions, however, are entitlements. They paid nothing in to them, yet continue to mooch off the taxpayers, long after they have been driven from office.

Sports metaphors are not professional. Referring to government negotiations as a “cage match” and to representatives as “putting on their game faces” diminishes the tone of your coverage.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor