Russian President Vladimir Putin

Russian President Vladimir Putin says he will sign a law banning Americans from adopting Russian children. The new policy, which threatens 1,500 pending adoptions, comes in response to a U.S. law which seeks to punish Russian human rights violators. We talk with a Bay Area adoption advocate about Russia’s action.

Andrea Stawitcke, executive director of Bay Area Adoption Services, a parent-led, nonprofit, international adoption agency
Fiona Hill, director of the Center on the Unites States and Europe, senior fellow in the foreign policy program at the Brookings Institution an co-author of the forthcoming book, "Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin"
Julia Rowlee, senior at Fremont High School in Sunnyvale; she was adopted at age 6 from Kaliningrad, Russia

• jurgispilis

From talking to friends who are adoptive parents, it is much easier to adopt a foreign child than an American child. That strikes me as absurd because, who will adopt the American orphans? Shouldn’t it be easier to adopt localltpy?
    Also, adoption expenses are tax deductable, so I always wonder when Madonna or angelina Jolie travel to Africa to pick up an orphan, are they doing so on advise of their tax attorney?

• chrisco

It is kind of weird and certainly silly to talk about tax considerations in adopting African orphans.

• jurgispilis

Its kind of wierd that adoption expenses are tax deductable.

• chrisco

I will state that I unequivocally oppose this law. I also oppose the US law that triggered the Russian one. Disclaimer out of the way:
    1) This is a really bad headline. The law passed by overwhelming margins in their Congress and this acts like it a one-man decree.
    2) There was no mention of the Russian adoptee who died after being left in a car even though the bill is named after him. It took a caller at the end of the segment to raise this.
    3) Yes, this is retaliation for a law the US passed against possible Russian officials. No other country in the world passed this law. The US media gave virtual no coverage to this.

It is just painful to watch a free media act so much like state media time and time again (oh yeah, this is partly state media).

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor