Christine Bronstein says the word “friend” isn’t adequate to describe the women in her life. Instead, she calls them her “wives”: the women who supported her through marriage, divorce and postpartum depression. Now Bronstein says that sisterhood can make women stronger as a whole — and she’s turned it into a private social network called A Band of Wives. Made up of 5,000 members, topics range from career and glass ceilings to motherhood and abortion. Bronstein and other women discuss that sisterhood and their new book, “Nothing But the Truth So Help Me God: 51 Women Reveal the Power of Positive Female Connection.”

Christine Bronstein, co-editor and publisher of "Nothing But the Truth So Help Me God" and CEO of the online private social network A Band of Wives
Aspen Baker, founder and executive director of Exhale, and contributor of an essay about her own abortion to the "Nothing But the Truth" anthology
Shasta Nelson, CEO of, a women's friendship matching site in 35 cities across the U.S., relationship strategist and author and contributor of an essay about the changing nature of women's friendships in the "Nothing But the Truth" anthology

• mikeweston

In this society women are allowed to have emotions, and as a result the kind of close relationships I expect you will be talking about are relatively common. It’s typically harder for men to get past the surface topics of career, sports, and so on. But there are men who do regularly connect at a deeper level, often on a men’s group or team that meets weekly. For example see the ManKind Project ( or the organization I am a part of, the Nation of Men (

• mikeweston

[I posted before, but it disappeared — maybe because I had a couple of links.]

In this society women are allowed to have emotions, so the kind of connections I expect you will be talking about are relatively common. For men the conversations rarely go beyond the surface of jobs, sports, and so on. But there are men who connect at a deeper level, often in men’s groups or teams that meet weekly. Some example organizations include the ManKind Project and the organization I am a part of, the South Bay Nation of Men.

• lisa

Love the topic. I moved to the bay area 8 years ago and it became one of the darkest times in my life because I had to start over again socially. I had no connections much less good friends to call up. As a woman, I turned to Craigslist to join a hiking group for bay area women. It completely changed my life because I was able to make great connections with a few members. Those connections have led to more connections with more women and now I have a solid group of friends in which we all provide support for each other. Love being a woman because I feel it is more acceptable for women to reach out to others (such as groups on craigslist) where for men it is not acceptable. Thanks again will have to check out the girlfriends circle website.

• Donne Davis

What a great topic. I’d love to share the sisterhood I founded in 2003 when I became a grandma. It’s called the GaGa Sisterhood ( – we’re a social network for enthusiastic grandmas who share our wisdom during this joyful and sometimes challenging time in our lives.

• SF chick

What you said about needing new friends in various situations really hit home. I just moved back to the Bay Area after leaving it 16 years ago. My friends are either gone or have families and I no longer feel connected to them. I have been trying to figure out how to make new friends while being busy making a new life work-wise as well as living with my boyfriend after having always been long distance… I’ll look into your sites! 🙂

• Syd Wayman

I wonder if I’m missing out on something whenever I hear about the power of female friendships? I’ve always had stronger friendships with the guys in my life, and have definitely had deeper conversations with them (both gay and straight men), although not necessarily emotional conversations. Commenter mikeweston mentions the idea of being allowed to have emotions – what about women who don’t necessarily want to have to show emotions all the time? Why is it that in order to feel strong bonds we (women) absolutely have to share our stories and our emotions with each other? I’d love to find a group of women who want to talk about more than personal lives and issues, such as politics, philosophy, language and science, theoretical concepts, etc.

Congratulations on dedicating another hour to reinforcing heterosexual binary gender. A perfect conversation to have included alternative lifestyles at the table. But it probably didn’t even occur to your producers that transsexual, gay and queer women have/need friendships, too. This segment is a cliché.

• we have transgenders and lesbians in ABOW.
      I’m sorry that wasn’t mentioned

• Joanie Burton Wynn

What’s amazing about ABOW is that they support every aspect of each other’s lives. Yes, there is emotional support and connection, but there is also a great support network for our professional pursuits and passions. The collective force is strong and has proved itself over and again. Kudos to Chris for starting something so positive and affirming in this world so full of negativity.

• FayNissenbaum

“TV show”? I felt very positive about this topic until that was mentioned. If it’s ‘reality’ dreck with faked drama and made-up disagreements, it’s a sellout and destroys everything about this.

• Well it isn’t easy trying to sell a transformational show about women, but I promise that if we can’t sell exactly that we won’t be on TV!

• I couldn’t agree more. I wrote a book about the subject, Alma’s Journey—a hauntingly beautiful account of how women understand their purpose in life and use their power to transform humankind, which set what I discovered about how women collaborate and communicate in 1961. Since then, I’ve watched the “movement” slowly develop. Hillary’s run for the presidency has put the whole process in high gear. Taylor Samuel Lyen,

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Listening to the program a number of comments made me wince. I am a woman NOT a girl, so hearing grown women call each other ‘girl friends’ is a major turn off.

Come from an old California family living in a wonderful rural area I would have liked to hear more about the differences between those who had pieces in this book. Any rural women? Any poor women? Any women with just a high school or grade school education? What were the income ranges? Ages?

• lisa p

Love that we’re talking about female connection again. We circle and we shift but we always come back to a feminine power that is different from masculine. Our leadership style is unique, our way of relating to each other is unique, and as we connect, we empower others to believe in and live their own truth. Thank you Christine for providing another opportunity for women of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientation and socio economic status to connect with each other. It is simply that.

• Sarah Williams

I really like the idea of focusing on how to build friendships, and a how to on that. I thought that was really interesting.

I’m concerned about the “Nothing But the Truth…” book concept. When I was growing up, and thinking of writing I was warned about the scam of allowing writers to pay to be published in books. It’s been longer than I care to think about since I’ve run into one, but $40 to take my creative work, and publish and sell it back to me at $25 a pop seems like about the range I remember those being in.

I totally grant that it can be hard to get published, but I’m not sure this is a good model for it.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor