KQED has teamed up with the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and Public Radio Exchange (PRX) to launch Matter Ventures, a start-up accelerator designed to foster media innovation. Popular in Silicon Valley, start-up accelerators offer investment, mentoring and other assistance to entrepreneurs. But can such a model work for public media?

John Boland, president and CEO of KQED Public Media
Corey Ford, CEO and partner, Matter Ventures
Ken Doctor, news industry analyst for Outsell and author of "Newsonomics: Twelve New Trends That Will Shape the News You Get"

• Dave

innovators should leverage two trends that favor your medium:
    1. usability is king: it’s easier to turn on a radio than it is to tune into a podcast
    2. more workers than ever (in this market) are working individually or in small groups, and talk radio as a passive social outlet (replacing the water cooler) has a lot of psychological value

• KQED Forum is my favorite podcasting source. Everything well described in the archive and accessible from the calender. If they decide to monetize it, I can envision something like the Amazon 99 cents per track (99 cents per show) concept rather than something like a membership. I get shows from many sources. Maybe there could be a centralized credit card system that offers tokens, like 21 tokens for $20 to be used at a wide variety of participating sites. I remember a web site that had a token system. Just a thought, but I’m glad it’s free and easy to access. I also access the Diane Rehm show, but only 1 of her 2 hours are available for download. One must sit at computer to stream the other, as far as I know. I’m a custodian who works night shift and enjoy listening to enlightening shows during work.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor