David Foster Wallace

David Foster Wallace once wrote that good fiction should help readers to “become less alone inside.” But the acclaimed author of “Infinite Jest” succumbed to his own lengthy battle with depression and committed suicide in 2008. We look back at the life and work of Wallace with his biographer, D.T. Max.

D.T. Max, staff writer at The New Yorker and author of the new biography "Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace"

• Tony Rocco

Can your guest talk about DFW’s depression, how it started and how it influenced his work? And why did he kill himself? We lost a true genius when he died.

• bill

One of my favorite shorts from DFW is entitled ‘The Depressed Person.’ I took his suicide as a sort of betrayal, being a depressive myself who has long used literature – including his – to deal with my darker moments. I would be interested to hear more of the reactions to his choice to kill himself from people closer to him and to his work. How have others made sense of his suicide (if any sense can ever be made of this choice.)

Alternately, I am interested in critique of his relationship to feminism. I gave my copy of ‘Brief Interviews with Hideous Men’ to a friend’s spouse who’s intense views were a source of annoyance to me. I think she still holds this against me.

• I remember reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men in college, and enjoying it so much that I decided to go online and find out if he had any upcoming readings scheduled. Of course, that’s when I learned that he had died a few years earlier. It was so disappointing to know that after I’ve read all of his books, there won’t be any new writing to look forward to in the future. He’s definitely a great American author.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor