Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Political Movies

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

(Wikimedia Commons)

As voters head to the polls, we go to the movies. What is your favorite film about campaigns, elections or the political process?[View the story “Celebrate Election Day With A Political Movie” on Storify]

Celebrate Election Day With A Political Movie

Need ideas for how to fill the hours until election returns come in? Try a political movie — Forum listeners joined film critics Leonard Maltin and Peter Ranier in discussing the political films at the top of their tickets, er, rather Netflix queue.

Storified by · Tue, Nov 06 2012 14:35:54

The Classics:
Do Duck Soup and A Face in the Crowd count? Two of my favorite movies of all time.Shiloh Ackley
All the President’s Men. It plays like a mystery.Lori Tebbe Rees
I grew up with Leonard’s Movie Guide in the 70s.Has to be the The Manchurian Candidate just for it’s shock value, and an evil Jessica Fletcher.Jon Rendell
Chinatown. Still matters. Nothing has changed.Ramin Khayatpoor
The Dark Horses:
Primary Colors, starring John Travolta. To quote Roger Ebert, the movie was "insightful and very wise about the realities of political life."Steve Forney
How about Mike Judge’s ‘Idiocracy’? Best president ever!Chuck Whelon
@kqedforum Don’t forget Eddie Murphy as "The Distinguished Gentleman"! As a crook and con-man he fits right in on Capitol HillLike Minded People.
@KQEDForum "My Fellow Americans" with Matthau/Lemon is my fave. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtj-8vAfhkMike Giaimo
Hey Girl, Ryan Gosling Wants You to Watch These Movies:
Ides of March. Compelling, entertaining, well crafted. I liked it so much, I watched it twice back to back so I could enjoy it with my partner. Sean Vogt
@KQEDForum "In The Loop" hilariously vulgar and shows the dirty underbelly of political alliance around the Iraq warStas
@kqedforum Frost/Nixon is great as you get to see the uncomfortable crumbling of a presidency!ChafedCankles
"Please Vote for Me," a documentary about a electing a class president in an elementary school in China.Mark Jen
You can listen to the complete show with Leonard Maltin and the Christian Science Monitor’s Peter Rainier here

Guests:

Leonard Maltin, film critic, historian and editor of "Leonard Maltin's 2013 Movie Guide"

Peter Rainer, film critic for the Christian Science Monitor and KPCC

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Death Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New YorkThe Beauty in Finding ‘Other People’s Words’ in Your OwnWhat the 99 Cents Only Stores Closure Means to CaliforniansBay Area Diaspora Closely Watching India’s Upcoming Electionare u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens‘The Notorious PhD’ on How Hip Hop Made AmericaSan Francisco Voters Face a Crowded and Contentious Mayor’s Race