With Proposition 30, Governor Jerry Brown is asking California voters to back an increase in sales and income taxes to support education and public safety. This year’s state budget depends on the money from this proposition. Supporters say well-off Californians should give more to sustain public schools. But critics say the measure is a large tax increase which would hurt the state’s economy and business climate. And backers of a rival tax initiative — Prop. 38 — say Prop. 30 doesn’t guarantee new money for education beyond existing general fund spending.

Jonathan Coupal, president of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association and an opponent of Prop. 30
John Mockler, education policy consultant, former executive director of the California State Board of Education, former interim California secretary of education and a supporter of Prop. 30

• Bob Fry

Jon Coupal put his finger on the problem: the Legislature and Governor are out of control and for decades have not directed funds to where the voters want them. I believe many voters, like me, recognize past tax cuts, and are willing to pay more again, but not to prisons, more welfare benefits, and trains to nowhere while schools, universities, and basic infrastructure are neglected.

• Alex

One of CA’s largest budget problems is that the constitution forces many dollars into specific programs (like education). Why is another constitutional amendment a good idea?

• Brian Feetham

It’s not a constitutional amendment. And the reason we require some things to be allocated in such and such a way is because some programs will take all the money we have in the budget if we let them, i.e. prisons.

I would like to vote Yes, but where is the pension reform. I read about government some employees retiring with over $100,000 in pension and collecting over $100,000 for unused medical leave. I feel these tax increases will be there temporarily forever.

Please remember, some counties like Alameda are also trying to increase sales tax by 1%. We may end up with over 10% sales tax.

• John

The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association is on a never-ending quest to destroy the institutions that made California the envy of the world.

In June, Brown signed SB 1039 to benefit Prop 30: all proposed constitutional amendments will appear first on the ballot, before any proposed initiated state statutes. The Munger measure is a proposed state statute and, as a result of this new legislation, her measure appears well after his measure.

Political columnist Dan Walters: “…insular, arrogant and self-dealing governance.”

In August, Senate Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg cut transmission of a
    scheduled televised broadcast of a Senate informational hearing, as
    required by law, on the tax initiatives, effectively blocking the public
    from observing the arguments and counterarguments along wit
    factual information from the Legislature’s budget analyst about the
    key Propositions 30, 31, 38 and 39.

To make the bill effective immediately without resorting to the need for
    a two-thirds vote to declare the bill an emergency statute, the
    proponents added a provision to allow them to use Proposition 25 so
    that this maneuver would succeed.

Proposition 25 permitted a majority vote to pass the budget and
    contained language that any bills providing appropriations related to
    the budget can pass by majority vote and take effect immediately.

SB 1039 contained funding of $1000 for the Secretary of State to
    “implement” the requirements of the bill and then declared the bill is
    an appropriation related to the budget.

Dan Walters: “…self-serving censorship, the sort of thing that one
    expects from tin-pot dictators, not from those who fancy themselves
    to be progressive civil libertarians.”

• Matthew Reiser

Well written. Notice also the radio silence from traditional media outlets regarding the above facts. Most newspapers and TV stations don’t care to present these data to the public.

• sendmike

The downfall of California’s school system lies directly on our elected politicians and their financial supporters (especially the teachers unions). It is how politicians choose to allocate our tax revenues that is the cause for Prop 30 measure. There is constant talk about not wanting further cuts to education, but what about cuts to other revenue blood suckers. Prop 30 is very deceitful since it uses education as the reason to raise taxes while ignoring the many other programs that taxpayers would prefer to see cut.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor