Paul Auster

Paul Auster remembers the car accident that nearly killed him and his family. It’s one of a series of brushes with death from his new book, “Winter Journal.” Auster also recalls dirty fights as a child, sitting next to his mother’s lifeless body as an adult, the crumbling of his first marriage and the slow breakdown of his own body over time. Paul Auster joins us to talk about aging, death and the power of the written word.

Paul Auster, author of "Winter Journal" and other books including "Moon Palace," "The Invention of Solitude" and "The Brooklyn Follies"

• Dcengland

Krasny’s flippant remark that Auster’s father “died in the saddle,” referring to the man’s death while engaged in sex with a woman, is juvenile, sexist, and antediluvian.

• eriksf

Paul sounds like such a generous, insightful and honest writer. Honesty is so rare in literature. Can’t wait to start reading his books.

• roxana

This is my first opportunity to comment about this program. I also found the remark about Auster’s father’s last moments (see comment below) really offensive and, frankly, weird and out-of-character, as much as I know anything about Michael Krasny. My other response is that I find men to be very hypocritical about women who sell sex. Auster admits that he seeks out prostitutes for sex. He even waxed poetic about one young woman and her body, seemed to be impressed that she could quote poetry (he doesn’t find it remarkable that he pays for sex…the other half of an act of prostitution…and can also read and think), and then with disdain referred to her as a ‘hooker’. Well, he is a ‘John’ (though that name doesn’t carry nearly the negative connotation as do those given to women). But, men don’t get called that. Nor does society hold them in such contempt. They write books, brag about their illegal sex acts (and, they are never jailed like the women for their participation in this activity) and get rewarded with interviews and air time to ramble on about their ‘adventures’. I found this interview disgusting.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor