Now that the Republican National Convention has wrapped up, all eyes turn this week to Charlotte, North Carolina, where the Democratic National Convention will officially kick off today. Former President Bill Clinton will give the nominating address to President Obama on the last night of the convention.

Chris LeHane, Democratic consultant, partner at Fabiani and Lehane and former press secretary for Al Gore throughout the 2000 campaign
Robin Abcarian, national correspondent for the Los Angeles Times
John Perez, speaker of the California State Assembly
Barbara Lee, U.S. congresswoman representing California's 9th District

• Beth

CSPAN seems to be the only channel that carries everything from start to finish.  While even the PBS NewsHour Livestream didn’t carry all the speakers last week at the RNC,  Most of whom were minorities/women.   Instead we had four folks sitting around a table talking.

Will media not carry all the DNC speakers and if they do what does this say about media bias?

• Mark, SF

What does this say about your bias that you think the media will be more deferential to the DNC convention than the RNC’s?
      The media doesn’t cover these conventions like they use to because the ratings are not there. I am a political junkie but watching either convention I would consider torture. Conventions are one long scripted info/misinfo commercial. Except when they aren’t. Who let that actor on stage to talk to a chair. Who cares about conventions except the insiders that attend them and I am not sure they care.

• Beth

http://www.c-span.org/DNC/Live  Aside from CSPAN the media doesn’t carry the coverage sans talking heads. CSPAN just shows everything.

• rick

you are a genius……

• Dan Miskie

the american dream for me would be to go after the wall street fraud-sters that set-up and executed the world wide economic melt down. Many if not most of the participants are still in place and embraced by the democratic party (and the republican party too) 

• Dr Gail Alrschuler

I would like to see FORWARD as the message of the convention. It is both accurate and memorable.

• Livegreen

It’s jot just President Obama who hasn’t been pointing out the Republican obstructionism.  It’s also the Press & Media (including NPR).  I remember clearly when the Democrats tried the same obstructionist policies & its ALL the press spoke about…to the point that the Democrats had to give it up.

Meanwhile the constantly obstructionist Republicans only get a passing mention.The Press points it out when Democrats do it, but not when the Republicans do.  The media is become biased against Democrats in their fear of constantly being labeled “liberal”.  They have overcompensated even when compared to the facts.

• Mgck

I would like Pres Obama to challenge the Republicans in Congress to work with him to create programs that meet the needs of the American people.  Sometimes Democratic ideas need to be tempered with Republican pragmatism. Instead of painting the Republicans as obstructioners, challenge them to participate.

• Slappy

Whenever I hear the word “program” money is almost always an issue, and I’m going to assume that the programs at hand will need funding. NEWSFLASH: WE ARE BROKE. 

Do you know why we’re broke? Because our Congress keeps spending money. Why do you think obstructionism is an issue here? Have you not been alive during the past twelve years? You talk as if both parties have not been bought and paid for by THE SAME PEOPLE. Members of both parties, used by undisclosed wealthy individuals, are engaging in the destruction of our country in different ways.

• James Ivey

The comment about Obama not “looking like” a president and Michelle Obama not “looking like” a first lady came from a delegate interviewed at the RNC convention last week.  The clip has been replayed quite a bit.

• Vikramkhurana

Neither the Republcans nor the Democrats have a plan to fix the economy, Republicans favor going after Oil, and Democrats believe in spending the money to help poor. But in long term, we need a plan to fix the economy and all the pointed questions in this regard are responded with a convoluted, non commital and “you will know” answer. Its basically a handyman telling me, “trust me.. i can fix it”. I do not feel comfortable doing that.. its between a rock and a hard place.. Neither are going to address it..and its going to be upto hard working people in the country to somehow figure it out.

• ihc

That famous quote from Goebbels reads, “If you repeat a lie enough times, people will eventually come to believe it.”  Here’s some related words from former Pres. George W. Bush: “See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over
    again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.” And, “You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.” Needless to say, Bush’s political savvy was gleaned from his mentor, Karl Rove, the “evil genie” of the Republican party. There is no need to apologize for calling Romney and Ryan’s rhetoric as what it is — despicable.  

• Tim

I would like to hear FDR invoked at least once at this convention. With the GOP complaining that Obama hasn’t done enough, why wouldn’t the Democratic Party be invoking the spirit of one of its great leaders who in response to the Great Depression did much more, with success, and in direct opposition to what FDR denounced as “economic royalists”? But with the Democratic Party and Washington now run by those economic royalists I’m not holding my breath.

The whole electoral process has become a travesty. The country’s too big, government too remote, economic powers too overwhelming for the public interest. Responsible citizens need to be looking at our structural problems and considering at what level and scale we can reestablish meaningful government by, for and of the people.

• MK

I heard the
    racist comment during the NPR Correspondent coverage of the NRC. The NPR Correspondent
    interviewed a female Republican Delegate asking her to comment on Ann Romney’s
    speech. The Republican Delegate praised Ann Romney’s speech and then she said
    Ann Romney  “looks” like what a
    First Lady should look, not like Michelle Obama. I was appalled by the racist comment
    and by the fact that NPR kept the quote in the broadcast. Check the tapes. Probably
    after that it was picked up blogosphere, tweets, social media.

I have
    been extremely disappointed with the NPR news broadcasts and news coverage (All
    Things Considered and Morning Edition) during the past year, even before the
    election months arrived. It seems that the focus is on quoting and going after
    the extreme/sensational perspectives; and not the substantive and quality
    coverage that I used to hear.  I do not
    want to hear the candidates of both parities repeatedly spouting their sound
    bites. Spare me the political-infomercials. That is not quality journalism. When
    NPR Morning Edition or All things Considered comes on I turn my radio off. I do
    appreciate the KQED schedule with FORUM, Fresh Air, BBC World Service, City
    Arts and Lectures and the California Report.

• Chris LaHane lied while calling Paul Ryan a liar.  Ryan did not claim that Obama closed the plant.

Forum, Chris LaHane (attached audio) starting at 45:20″…you had the vice presidential nominee for the Republican Party stand up, in a major address before the country, and put out pieces of information that he knows were not accurate, or are not accurate.  You know, in particular, you know, focusing on the plant, you know, in Wisconsin, uh, that he asserted had closed under the president and that the president hadn’t really engaged or addressed on, uh addressed, was a blatant fabrication.  He knows full well that that plant was closed before, heh, heh,  Barack Obama was president…You can’t go out there on a major stage and issue something that is a blatant lie and not expect to be called on it.”

What Paul Ryan actually said: 
    “President Barack Obama came to office during an economic crisis, as he has reminded us a time or two. Those were very tough days, and any fair measure of his record has to take that into account. My home state voted for President Obama. When he talked about change, many people liked the sound of it, especially in Janesville, where we were about to lose a major factory.
    A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: “I believe that if our government is there to support you … this plant will be here for another hundred years.” That’s what he said in 2008.

Well, as it turned out, that plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight.”

• Beth

Sandra Fluke is a pro abortion pro liberal everything who CHOSE to apply to a Catholic University whose beliefs were well known. Then when she was accepted she proceeded to insist the Catholic institution do what she wanted per birth control etc.  Why aren’t people asking why would she want to attend a place whose views were opposite hers?

Hope some Republicans or a PAC simply run ads showing Ronald Reagan asking the ‘Are you better off today than four years ago’. October 28 1980 Ronald Reagan “Ask yourself, ‘Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBe0WXtts8

• David Gelfand

Michael – 
    This morning you & I believe Chris Lehane discounted that any republicans stated that “Michele Obama doesn’t look like a first lady” in explaining why in their incredibly racist diatribe against the President and First Lady they believed the President should not be re-relected.  Indeed, in interviews from the Tampa Convention Center one of the Tea Baggers uttered that exact phase.  You and Mr. LeHane should review the Morning Edition tapes to correct your mis-information.dhg

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor