GoogleWorkers

Bravo is launching a new reality TV show called “Silicon Valley,” profiling the decadent lifestyles of young rich entrepreneurs. Some in the tech industry say they’re nervous about being mischaracterized. We look at the tech industry lifestyle. What do you think of the culture of Silicon Valley?

Guests:
Kara Swisher, co-executive editor of All Things Digital
Jamis MacNiven, owner of Bucks of Woodside
Tasneem Raja, interactive editor for Mother Jones
Susan MacTavish Best, entrepreneur and formerly head of her own public relations firm for startups
Joseph Smarr, software engineer at Google and co-founder of Google Plus

• Fred

I am so tired of 98% of what’s on TV.
    There are only two things worth watching: Russia Today for honest news about America,  and Tosh.O for laughs.

• Hester

We lack liberal arts types here. Can’t wait to move to Ashland OR where. People there read Shakespeare not Dune. Dating engineers is a huge disappointment. I’ll take an artist thank you.

• Dave

My family moved to Silicon Valley in 1969, when the men landed on the moon. I went to high school there, and college at UC Berkeley. I now split my time midweek between a trailer park in Sunnyvale and main residence in Pebble Beach. I’m a geek’s geek, having worked with the likes of Seymour Cray, lived in Minneapolis, Colorado, France and Switzerland, leveraging always my tech background. Independent contractor for the last 20 years, I’ve seen many ups and downs in Silicon Valley, always keeping my ties here. I can by no means be considered rich. My motivation for the tech work has always been the advancement of Science, which the San Francisco Bay Area  has a rich history of supporting.

My circle has coined a new term for the latest Silicon Valley inhabitants:

Greedlings.

• Gondolaman28

There is no culture. How else do you explain the hundreds of luxury commuter busses you see rolling around town full of Silicon Valley employees who would rather live in the city?

• Pierrot Le Fou

An idea of futurists?

Laughable.  This Kara Swisher, married to a Google exec, is also a journalist. No conflict of interest at all. Move along!

Steve Jobs a modest home?
    million dollar property + and an unlicensed mercedes

But that is modesty in Silicon Valley!

• Pierrot Le Fou

Not generally well-paying….AH, truth.

Silicon Valley is money, period!

Futurists?

Yes, if future= make believe crops.  We want more of this future!!!

• Pierrot Le Fou

Recruitment is money and stock options.

These people can talk about perks and appeal of culture all you want

They are defecting from Wall St. and law firms because if you can sell make believe crops and get rich, that is truly the path of least resistance

• Douglas Kearns

Is this a culture that has any relationship with the natural world? Do they see themselves as a part of it or apart from it? Isn’t this a generation that grew up with technology infused in their lives?

Silicon Valley success is achieved using young engineers willing to work long hours and willing to travel to China for weeks without break.  It is difficult for family folks to achieve the work life balance in this environment.  This is certainly not a place for someone who wants to pursue science and yet do it in a reasonable pace.  I am certainly looking for a way out of “Hotel California”.

• kiranbot

Startups are definitely shifting to the city.  I hear part of that problem is a lack of real estate on the Peninsula/South Bay.
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/23/title-why-are-startups-flocking-to-sf-theres-no-more-room-in-silicon-valleys-inn/

• Pbr312

There is culture–it is multiple, multiform, pliable, variegated.  We have tattoo parlors and Google, buddhists and muslims taking over abandoned tech office complexes and mainline churches going back to the 19th century.  Don’t be an essentialist.

• kiranbot

Also, the culture of Silicon Valley is rather persistent.  Tom Wolfe wrote an excellent piece on Bob Royce and the Silicon Valley culture in the 60s.  Many of characteristics of the company culture then is still true today.
    http://www.stanford.edu/class/e140/e140a/content/noyce.html

you know you’re in SV when casual party conversation revolves around how many patents you have your name on.

you know you are getting close to Silicon Valley when, at 5 am in the rain in the dark of winter on Highway 17 out of Santa Cruz, some little 100k sports car passes you going about 80 in the 50 mph headed north; once in a while, on Highway 85, there they are, in the grasp of the CHP…

• Aaron

I know that Silicon Valley has spawned many very meaningful and
    substantive innovations. And that is awesome. Thank you to all the smart
    and visionary people doing that work.

And yet in today’s world
    the Valley’s most famous contributions to the culture are tools for
    disseminating mass consumption and personal expression. And so I find it
    amusing and just a bit maddening listening to Silicon Valley folks
    bemoaning a reality show’s depiction of the Valley. You don’t get to
    control every message, right? This is a product of the monster of empty
    culture that consumer technology has done so much to create.

• Fred

You know you’re in Silicon Valley when your coworkers joke that Jesse is the only California-born person at the company.

• Maribe06

The guests’ unabashed and uncritical ‘love’ for the ‘culture’ of silicon valley is, too me, emblematic of the problem with the area’s ethos.   As someone who lives in the ‘valley’ (annoying inflection included) but is NOT it tech, I find it problematic that the guests seem to think that innovation and money erases the economic disparity (low-wage workers having to put up with annoying tech people who don’t seem to know they are there), gender inequality, and sense of absurd privilege and entitlement that seems to ooze from the tech industry.  Yes, tech companies are innovative, but there are thousands of teachers, firefighters, restaurant workers, professors and city workers who live in the community and, frankly, look askance at the lack of introspection and sense of real community from workers who are here to make a quick buck.

• CaliCali

There is definitely a divide between the ‘tech’ workers and the rest of us. I have friends on both sides of the line, and I find that it’s rare that the tech people have any understanding of what it’s like NOT to have money. That fundamental lack of an ability to consider other people’s experiences ends up segregating the high paid tech people from the rest of us. It just gets old listening to 27 year olds talk about their stock options when us struggling artists are just trying to make rent.

• lguinn

I often find this to be a problem with young professionals who have “good” jobs, whether they are “techies” or not. They chose and perhaps excel at a profession which rewards them financially (at least for now). 
        Many of them have not yet faced any significant life problem, such as the birth of a special needs child or a spouse’s cancer or a job loss. They do not know what it means to struggle – and they don’t empathize with those who do struggle. They don’t believe that there is no difference between themselves and others, that there is only a thin line of luck that separates them. They attribute all of their success to their own intelligence, motivation, etc. etc. I find most of them insufferable.

• David

Rents in SF overall have gone up over 15% in the last year alone. It might have something to do with all those Bauer buses. I’ve stopped counting artist friends who have been priced out and have had no choice but to move away from the city they love. The cultural vibrancy of this city is literally at stake if realistic affordable housing options continue to be ignored.

• Drake

There is a kaleidoscopic charm to the valley, it is many, many things depending on vantage and timing. Sure, money plays a role as do hi-jinx, but so does an abiding “how might i do this…a-ha…hey, check this out…gee-whiz, curiosity.

Over and over, i find the comon denominator is, “What are you working on/trying to solve right now”?

Aside from family and nature, everything else is filler in between those exchanges.

• Erica

Silicon Valley culture: if you’re a single woman here , the odds are good but the goods are odd.

• Jennifer Clark

completely true!

• Chris Tellis

You know you are in Silicone Valley when: Guys try to impress their dates by bragging about how late they worked, when thank you notes are tweeted, when formal attire means tying your sneaker laces.

• Stevemcmoy

You know you’re in Silicon Valley when:

A friend says, “let’s go to the museum!”

…and it’s the Intel Museum he’s referring to.

• Russ

You know you’re a software engineer in SV when you come into work around 9am and you have the place to yourself for at least an hour. 🙂

I moved here back in 1990 as a CS graduate from U of Illinois. I think there’s no other place (at least in the US) where what matters most for your professional objectives is meeting your commitments to your co-workers and management. It doesn’t matter if you meet them from within the office, at home or at Starbucks and that flexibility attracts the best and the brightest.

• Mac Clayton

You know you’re in Silicon Valley when you don’t have to come up with your own tech idea, you can just evesdrop at Starbucks.

• Peninsula mom

Remember that the Silicon Valley tech culture is mingled with the culture that has been here for decades. For every programmer who never looks beyond his laptop and only leaves home to get on the Google shuttle to go to work, there’s a dozen people who grew up in San Jose and remember when the valley was full of fruit orchards, or who came to Palo Alto for college and stayed because of the wonderful weather, the hiking in the hills, the progressive atmosphere. I moved to the Peninsula 15 years ago when my kids reached school-age (we fled the SF school system) and was astonished at how many of my neighbors were born within 10 miles of where they are living now and have grandparents and cousins still living nearby.

• Rhet

The guest who said nobody cares about “green” technology is unaware of the fact that SOLAR panels have dropped substantially in price in the past 2 years.

• D_hodgin

U no yr in sv when yr 11 yr old pitches a cmo of a startup before bedtime and gets a callback b4 breakfast.

• Lino

The great thing about Silicon Valley is that I feel that I always have a chance.  If I have an good idea and willing to put in the work, I know I will have a shot of building something great.

• RegularListener

You know you’re in the Silicon Valley when you, with aPhD in history, are offered $13,000 to teach full time at a private school in 2001 (even though the average 1 BR apartment was about $1500/month at time).

Reality check to the “Reality” show: yes, a small professional layer at the top (mainlly in hi-tech industries ) make big bucks, but everyone else is desperately struggling because housing is astronomically priced relative to the wages of most of us. And we at the bottom aren’t just the supposedly “uneducated” janitors. I have a PhD & 2 MA’s, & the most I’ve ever made here is just under $12,0000 for half-time work. My job was legally capped at half-time & I could never combine it with another half-time job because the commute here is impossible.The first time I ever was offered full-time work (teaching private school) I was offered $13,0000.And SFSU would not offer me enough financial aid that I could quit my $11,000.year job to pursue a teaching credential. (I wanted to move back to the much more affordable Midwest, but my parents would not take me in even temporarily).

But since having an unplanned child with an engineer from Silicon Valley, I now get child support from him & I can live at something above beggar status since he was decent enough not to see his kid living in a small 1 BR apt for the rest of her life. But I would not suggest this as a general way to spread out the wealth of the Silicon Valley: generally the social classes here don’t mix enough for this to become a commonplace. I was after all, the right “social”educational class to date him, even if not the right “income level.”

• Fred-Slappy

I had my Honda serviced in the Valley once. The mechanic grew up 2 blocks from the shop, but couldn’t afford the cost of living and had to move away and was driving 2 hours each way.

• Seattletransam

wow “$12,0000” for part time work sounds pretty good… btw you misplaced the comma 😉

• RegularListener

$12,000/year for half time work = $24,000/year for my household of 2 (year 2000). In this area, where housing prices are astronomical, this put me way below the poverty level.  My kid & I lived in very small 1 BR apt.with hardly any light (none in the kitchen) & we needed MediCal, subsidized school lunches, WIC, subsidized child care, etc. to scrape by. Not so good for taxpayers, & not a life I would wish on anyone in this country, let alone someone who spent many years getting degrees in higher education with the idea that it would actually help them get a job that would keep them out of poverty.

• Armando mota

you know when…

when everyone wants to have a billboard on the 101 but no one wants to fix it; a little bit of an infustructural irony.

• I lived here for 11 years now and met my wife here. I got here before Google and Facebook happened and I find the discussion overly focused on very young people working for these web based companies. The Valley is much more than that.

For me the valley is first and foremost a diverse concentration of people excited about technology. A side effect of this diversity is the best food selection in the world and the most amazing access to the people who created the technology we use, and the pervasive belief that “yes, of course you can be part of this adventure”.

The Valley is also very much California, with its beautify nature and fantastic climate.

You know you are in Silicon Valley when the stranger next to you at Fry’s Electronics corrects your misconceptions about a graphic card because he co-designed it. True story.

• Maureen

I spent a year doing a Master’s at Stanford and living in the area, and it is truly the most boring place on Earth. I was pretty surprised by the complete lack of artistic sensibility and interest in the arts in general in Palo Alto. Your guests keep talking about how “odd” and “eccentric” the Silicon Valley people are–the problem is that they are all “odd” and “eccentric” in exactly the same way. There is no diversity of perspective. As someone who is not interested in tech, I was bored to death.

• Daist Buchanan

I second Maureen’s sentiment. Try finding a well read Silicon Valley inhabitant. Too sci-fi / mathy for my taste. This valley won’t be producing a Rembrandt or TS Eliot anytime soon. Silicon Valley attitude spells the end of fiction and the novel. It’s happening at high schools as we speak. New national standards demand 75% nonfiction. So long Beats.

• Listener

I think the reality of Silicon Valley culture is far
    different from the ideal. Rather than an agnostic ‘culture of ideas’, many
    different cultures have been brought to the valley, and there is more tension
    than is often acknowledged. Many ethnic groups stay socially segregated, and
    even immigrants from other regions of this country feel a degree of resentment
    toward ‘native’ Californians. I and other former Midwesterners I know are
    frustrated that our talents and hard work are essentially a prerequisite to live
    here because of the incredibly high housing costs, and we probably have less
    disposable income than if we had never come to Silicon Valley. There’s
    effectively a modern-day gold rush – ambitious people are lured here by tales
    of fortune that are unlikely to materialize. Most of the rewards have been
    reaped by those who were here first, and were advantaged as property owners or
    early entrants into a technology field (who often were lucky, and not really
    “pioneers”).

• Bob

I thought the term ‘Silicon Valley’ was related to Carol Doda.  Did I miss something?

Bob

• a guest

Silicon Valley has yet to reach the intellectual and aesthetic depth of a Carol Doda show

• Alissa Bushnell

I grew up in Silicon Valley. My dad, Nolan Bushnell, started Atari after working at AMPEX, a name that most of the new residents of Silicon valley have no idea of what it is other than the sign on 101.  I love technology and I am a technology publicist for start up companies.  In Silicon Valley the rock stars are the CEOs, the bands and entertainment are the companies and their moves and activities.  The glitz comes from the VCs.  For those who care about the Future, the technologies that will entertain us, engage us and the like.  I personally couldn’t live anywhere else.  I just wish there were more fine art and where Creativity in FINE art were more cherished than just creativity in coding or company ideas.  And let’s not forget about the Maker culture and it’s role in Silicon Valley.  Alissa Bushnell

• Hayden

One might begin by considering what conditions of possibility are created by the tech industry as we now know it.  Is there something intrinsic to the industry that tends to preclude the civic engagement and, perhaps, concern with intellectual culture, literacy, ideas of art (etc.), that might be necessary precursors to the interest in fine art mentioned in the comment? 

My thinking is that the tech industry has a significantly vocational focus that tends to preclude these things, or at least leaves its population of workers blind to the larger worlds in which they take place.  Similarly, although many workers might feel they are missing out on certain aspects of culture, perhaps there is something about their education, training, and employment that denies them the language with which to understand, discuss, and take action on that lack.

• Married w/Kids

Silicon Valley is really targeted for young/single people. They work you hard and want you to dedicate a major portion of your life, if not all of it, to the company. Being a family man with 2 young kids, there are many companies I would not work for because I cannot compete with the young person with all the spare time in the world willing to put in 14+ hrs a day.

• Smartaffair

haha.. what an insufferable guest

• Lee Thé

A caller just implied that Silicon Valley employers discriminate against hiring blacks and Latinos. This is ridiculous.Silicon Valley is the meritocracy of meritocracies. If you’ve got the chops you’ve got the gig. 

But you have to have the chops.

Blacks and Latinos are under-represented statistically for reasons external to Silicon Valley. For one thing, American Latinos largely come from the absolute bottom of central American societies. There are plenty of Mexican engineers but they’re in Mexico and parts south. You can’t expect the sons and daughters of campesinos who place no value in education to produce those engineers. That will have to wait for several generations. 

And blacks in America still suffer from what Malcom X called the”Slave mentality.” Read his autobiography and you’ll see.

Those blacks and Latinos who do have the job skills Silicon Valley looks for have exactly the same shot at an appropriate job here as anyone else.

• Kbailey

I would like to hear more comments about why silicon valley still doesn’t make an effort to diversify their workforce with talent from minority groups like African-Americans that have worked hard to get degrees in science and engineering.  The big push for females has been great but the tech field is still neglecting an outright effort to diversify their workforce.

• Andreas

I moved here after getting my PhD in Germany and having done a masters in the US. I was drawn back to the US by the experience of a multicultural environment I had at a US university when socializing with a lot of domestic and international students. Silicon Valley is hands down the one region on this planet where more than half of your colleagues are foreign born PhD’s; This place affords the possibility to get to know and become close friends with individuals with different cultural and religious backgrounds from all over the world. I found it very enriching and unique. Many places are trying to copy the entrepreneurial spirit of Silicon Valley, I am afraid the diversity is often overlooked. I think us engineers are actually practicing multiculturalism while many others are only talking about it.

• Kbailey

The U.S. is a multicultural country; albeit a still segregated one.  When we talk about multiculturalism we still need to be cautious that we are not considering a field multicultural when there is only one or two cultures represented; and when only a handful of people of a particular ethnicity is represented; and we need to look at what positions are held in the technology field.  We are in the 21st century but many groups from all ethnicities and classes are being left out of the future.  It is too easy to simply say they are not working hard or not pursuing excellence; that is simply not true.  Colleges and universities across the country are graduating students every year from a diverse group of cultures. It would be great for these students to have some opportunities that can propel them into leadership roles in the tech field.  I like your last statement it is right on!

• Today’s program topic was very interesting to me because I regularly blog about Silicon Valley’s image and am even in the midst of writing a book about it. It does seem that there is a strong desire among tech company employees to look like they fit in to not just a corporate culture, but into a culture of what they think Silicon Valley looks like.

Like other Bravo shows [that I enjoy watching as a guilty pleasure], there’s no doubt in my mind that the upcoming television show will turn out to be more representative of the few people featured on the show and not of the masses of people who comprise Silicon Valley.

But I do wish that our community was interesting enough to be shown in true reality. It would be great if people under the age of 60 took advantage of the arts, such as the Silicon Valley Symphony, or the San Jose Rep.

The Silicon Valley culture that we know of today is one that has failed to evolve despite its ability to nimbly invent and create things that we have all come to embrace, from sexy and functional gadgets to hip and modern social media tools.

My concern is that if people do not embrace opportunities for personal growth and enrichment [at all economic levels], our community will lose its powerful economic and intellectual edge, and the influence of Silicon Valley will become diffused.

I moved here from Chicago [where I spent most of my young life] by way of Dallas [where I lived for a few years], and it’s a thrill to call this home. As a supporter of all that is good here, realizing it’s never going to be utopia, I want to see that “my home” remains as fantastic a place as it was when I moved here, and embraces positive and strengthening changes.

• MrMeanyboots

Is it necessary for Krasny to keep barking out the names of the speakers, interrupting them?

• William Benjamin Abbott IV

You know you’re in Silicon Valley when you know why neither San Jose nor San Francisco is in Silicon Valley.
    You know you’re in Silicon Valley when its never a question of how much will it cost, only how long will it take?
    We used to say, “you know you’re in Silicon Valley when you eat dinner from the vending machines at work *and* at a really nice restaurant, on the boss’ nickel, the same week.” But that was the aerospace and chip era. Post-Google software companies have free food instead of vending machines, and the lesser dichotomy isn’t as funny.
    Is there a Silicon Valley culture? Absolutely. Several, sequentially. But first, where is Silicon Valley? It used to be in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto and Menlo Park. Today its that and North San Jose, Milpitas, Fremont. San Carlos, San Mateo.  Part of Santa Clara County, part of San Mateo County, now part of Alameda County too.

Silicon Valley was the name for the transistor and integrated circuit hot-bed that grew out of Fairchild Semiconductor, which in turn grew out of Shockley Semiconductor. Silicon Valley was the second technological generation to grow between San Jose and San Francisco., The first was the WWII and post-war electronics and aerospace industrial area anchored by Stanford University, NACA then NASA-Ames Research Center, the US Navy’s Moffett FIeld Naval Air Station. Companies like Sylvania and GTE invented radars here, Singer-Link built simulators for training. pilots and aircrew.

• Grelber

You think these people are typical of Silicon Valley ? What a shallow, lazy piece of journalism. Delivered by the sneering, condescending Michael Krasny. What a shocker.

Manhattan it’s not. So what. But people do care about art and culture. You just didn’t look hard enough.

• a guest

Silicon Valley’s lack of depth and culture are problems.  However, they may be only small problems or symptoms of deeper, far more insidious ones.  The praise of the culture is not simply excess; it may be the masking of significant injustice. Perhaps the authors of the book Silicon Valley of Dreams should be on the show in the future to talk about some of those issues as well.  I applaud Forum overall, though, for having two recent shows raising questions about the traditionally rosy and sycophantic view through which the region is typically viewed.

• Jennifer Clark

Silicon Valley?  there’s an app for that.

• Hayden

This episode of Forum as a public radio program, which served as a boosterish echo chamber for the tech industry, does not represent why I listen to public radio.  Ordinarily, I look to KQED for thoughtful and critical evaluation of issues.In vain did I listen for a substantive consideration of what Silicon Valley might represent—and, particularly, the idea that it includes a geographic area and populations much larger than well-paid tech industry workers.  Instead, the idea of “Silicon Valley” was construed narrowly as being limited solely to high-paid tech workers.  There was a missed opportunity by not recognizing and substantively engaging issues like:
    ·         The lack of affordable housing and transportation for teachers and fry cooks,
    ·         The surprising lack of civic engagement and robust public institutions in one of the wealthiest areas in the world,
    ·         Gentrification impacts, from San Jose to San Francisco,
    ·         The historical impacts of replacing high-quality farmland with low-density office parks, and
    ·         A perhaps-contradictory culture of libertarianism among workers in an industry, and a place, that exist as they do thanks to government interventions.

To the extent any of these issues were even acknowledged, it was done in a superficial and patronizing way.  A guest noted that some tech workers sort of feel bad sometimes about them–but, apparently, they are too busy doing tech stuff to do anything about it, or maybe it’s only the wealthiest of workers, with foundations, who might be expected to play a role.  Just before that, the issue of environmentalism was raised.  Aha!  I thought–here’s a chance to mention the tech industry’s toxic soil and groundwater legacy, to recognize that it thrives now in part by exporting the pollution of production to places like China, and to consider what that might mean, if anything.  It was not to be–instead, one of the guests reassured everyone that Silicon Valley had lots of environmentalism because tech workers like to be outdoors and visit the Pacific Northwest.Wow.  Certainly the tech industry has accomplished some marvelous things.  Also, too often, we accuse public radio of being liberal porn (“feel bad!  feel bad!”)–so perhaps a little boosterism doesn’t go amiss.  One could argue that the hour of shallow narcissism may represent a big chunk of the tech industry pretty well–but I look to public radio to get below the surface in a critical and thoughtful way.  With the exception of some modest discussion about employment challenges within the tech industry, nobody on this program, including Michael, did that.  Worse, it seemed they were unaware that there might be an alternative to the discussion that was taking place.

• dk

Agreed.  Even if you interpret
      Silicon Valley culture to mean tech culture, the show did not give a
      good representation.  It was more like listening to the society pages. 
      Like the reality TV show that inspired this show, it focused mostly on internet start-ups, the Peninsula, and SF.  What about the semiconductor, networking,
      security, etc. companies throughout Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and San
      Jose and engineers and scientists they employee?  I also noticed that
      the Google engineer barely said a word (did he even say anything?).  He was probably mortified!

You know you’re in Silicon Valley when you commute an hour from south San Jose to Sunnyvale/SJ/SC or, worse, Mountain View or Palo Alto.  Or you’re part of gentrifying some ghetto in order to have a shorter commute (think parts of SJ or East Palo Alto).  And you work such long hours that you really have no life even if you’d like one.

• Lynn

The schools and kids are great here. As a single parent, I live in a half bedroom apartment (slightly larger than a 1 room studio) with a large roof space for $1575.00 a month (low for this area)- the garden was once an abandoned strip lot ….(My rent was $1,250, 6 years ago), Meanwhile my pay as a civic worker has opportunistically (politically driven) decreased $10,000 a year. 
    Unfortunately, Silicon Valley Industry is not known for knowledgeably speaking out for “sharing” locally. The disparity in wages is a non-topic.

Civic workers  are continually derided in the media.  Yet $60,000 a year was only sustainability for a family of 3 in Santa Clara County in 2008. 
    Yet the top 48 of 150 national realtors are in Palo Alto and Menlo Park? How does that work?Palo Alto citizens and industry are  the epitomization of national Plutocracy and failure to act. The I’ve goy mine attitude is supreme in our culture and probably best represented in Slicon Valley for the exploitation of wages based on national politics versus the reality of finances in this area.It is unfortunate, and ironic, that many silicon valley residents call themselves liberal or democrat…   until it comes to money.

• Claiming that Silicon Valley is missing out on the contributions of hispanics is hysterics.  Who’s stopping them?  Jamis MacNiven then blames this on ‘the right’, meaning conservatives.  Could it be that Mr. MacNiven’s guilt about who he hires for his hash house is accompanied by certain legal issues?

• Debbie

A recent news story illustrating Silicon Valley culture is the yoga teacher who was fired for expressing displeasure at a Facebook student who was using her phone to text during class.  Even the fact that the teacher was told earlier that phones must be allowed in class says something about valuing the individual over the group and how we can never be away from our technology even for an hour of relaxation/rejuvenation.  What a sad statement that makes about what matters the most.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor