With the conviction of former Liberian leader Charles Taylor and the creation of President Obama’s new Atrocities Prevention Board, genocide prevention has gained renewed international attention. We discuss current efforts to prevent genocide around the world.

Gregory Stanton, president of Genocide Watch and research professor in genocide studies and prevention at the School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University
Barbara Lee, U.S. congresswoman representing California's 9th District and co-chair of the Congressional Sudan Caucus
Yassir Kori, former Sudanese refugee, current U.S. citizen and founder of Nuba Vision Coalition
Chivy Sok, former Cambodian refugee

• Romulus

What do you call what’s happening in Israel? The slow eradication of the
    native population, to replace it with Eastern Europeans and
    Americans… is that not genocide-like? Is there is not a kind of ethnic
    cleansing going on theret?

I am not aware of the “native” population being replaced unless you are talking about the threat to the Israelis? The current immigrants arrived around 70 A.D.E. FROM Jordan. They need to return.

• Hezekiah

By that logic, 99% of Americans need to return to Europe, Asia, Africa and wherever else their ancestors came from.
        Seems kind of simple-minded.

That is a lovely concept.

It is predicted but we shall have to wait and see.

• Sam

Perhaps we should take Israel and give it back to the descendants of the Canaanites! The Baal worshippers are the REAL natives of that area!

• Hezekiah

Is it so lovely? It would also mean removing all Native Americans, since their ancestors came over from near Tibet long ago, too.

• colin

Somehow I’m not that confident that the newly created Atrocities Prevention Board will be anything other than an election-year forum for bashing unpopular regimes.   The choice of the Holocaust museum to make the announcement looks like political point-scoring. However badly the Iranian and Syrian governments have treated their own peoples, isn’t it an exaggeration to liken their repressive actions to the mass killings of Jews, Gypsies, gays and political prisoners under Nazi Germany? How can Obama negotiate with Iran’s leadership if he is comparing them to Hitler to win votes? 

Moreover, will the Atrocities Prevention Board be anywhere near as tough on the actions taken by the regimes in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia against their Shiite citizens? 

• Ralph

When the USA killed 500,000 Iraqis in order to accomplish more or less nothing useful except to boost profits for politically connected military contractors like Halliburton, wasn’t that genocide? Aren’t Bush and Cheney guilty of genocide? And why is Obama ignoring the international arrest warrant for Cheney?

• Gerry Teitelbaum

Excellent program! I’ve long felt that if “Non Violence Communication” were required in primary education all over the world, we might find a path to peace for future generations. Maybe we could move beyond Genocide.

It seems we hear a lot about “Non Violence training” these days. Communication. . the use of words is where it starts. . . and sadly often ends.
    Has your guest done any work with Marshall Rosenberg?

Have I missed an interview with Marshall Rosenberg, the founder of NVC  on Forum? I understand that he has done  a lot of work in Africa. Please consider adding him to follow your wonderful guests this morning.

M. K. I appreciate this program but it has brought up the issue of this planet being “over populated.’ 

Please do a program on this pressing issue, which is not being addressed by anyone. 2% drinkable water, toxic waste populating streams throughout the world, the oceans in decline, the air quality measurably decreased, and a planet being destroyed by over population. Where is the demand to restrict births? to clean water? to the reduction of the demands on this planet?

Please address these issues, M. Krasny

• Happy

Also the fact that hydraulic fracking involves deliberate pumping of toxic wastes into the drinkable water supply, thereby creating an unnecessary scarcity of usable water at a time when drinking water is increasingly scarce.

• Gloria

President Rajapaksa and his brothers of Sri Lanka killed 40,000 Tamils in 2009. They have not been indicted for their crimes. This is another genocide that has all the eight steps that Dr. Stanton describes, including isolation of the Tamil community into “no fire zones” which were then shelled. How does one break the cycle on impunity that the Sri Lankan leaders enjoy? 

• Val

I have lived in both Sierra Leone and South Sudan.  It seems that the Government of Sudan  is inflicting long-term suffering on the populace of the south other than aerial bombings.  For example, they close the border preventing grain traders from Khartoum supplying Southerners with key cereal crops.  Also, Southerners who have lived in Khartoum for decades all of a sudden lost their rights as residents there:jobs, access to education, etc.  How can these situations be addressed as an act of “long-term genocide?”

• James Ivey

Just one quick thought about to what extent drone attacks which may result in civilian casualties is a war crime, the WWII Allie practice of carpet bombing entire cities, in which the casualties were huge and likely entirely civilian, was not considered a war crime.  While I’m not fan of war or civilian casualties of any kind, I think it’s fairly clear that drone attacks are not war crimes.

• Jeanmccormack

What about Ireland in the 1800’s?? That was surely genocide…thanks Jean McCormack

• Night Lock

Gregory Stanton is an absolute fool. He throws around the word genocide so causally that it looses all serious meaning. To compare the U.S. government at any period in our history to the communist Cambodians is an outrage. Not only that, but his definitions are drawn across a political line? Bush is a war criminal but Obama is not? I feel sorry for his students. Hopefully they have the common sense to see past this man’s ignorance. 

• Night Lock

What about the Genocide by BART police against the homeless? You didn’t talk about that one.

• ADM

I deeply appreciate Chivy Sok’s perspective about the current Cambodian generation needing both to learn and to heal from the genocide. We visited Cambodia in 2002-2003, and through some human rights friends, were able to commission a work of art by Mr. Vann Nath. Mr. Vann Nath died last year, and was one of the few people that survived S-21. He survived because he painted portraits of Pol Pot that were deemed “acceptable.” After many years of silence, he wrote a book about his own survival as well as did a film in which he faced his own torturers (also called S-21, The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine; it was shown at the Asian Film Festival in San Francisco around 2003 or 2004). His art is displayed in the museum in the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh. Our painting was based on the word “hope” in which he paints the geographic boundaries of Cambodia arising out of a fire, and held up by hands embracing 4 people – 2 women, 2 men (one of them is his self-portrait), who represent the children (“hope”) of Cambodia’s future.  To us, it is an incredible representation and homage to a man who lived through the worst experience of his nation and his ability to experience at least some level of healing that he was able with others.

• Night Lock

I would like to see the International Court produce an arrest warrant for President Obama for his genocide against the Barred Owl. Or maybe we should charge the Barred Owls with genocide against the spotted owls… This is getting confusing. Let’s have the expert Gregory Stanton weigh in here. 

• Nemani

Can anyone help me on how to charge the illegal PM in Fiji on International Criminal Court?. My brother Nimilote Verebasaga was torutured by Fiji Soldiers in 2007 and many other civilians were abused, tortured and killed.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor