PeterRogoff

As head of the Federal Transit Administration, Peter Rogoff takes part in shaping the vision for the nation’s transportation system. A more than 40-year veteran of Washington politics, he joins us to discuss how decisions on Capitol Hill affect jobs in Hayward, and why it’s important to invest in transit infrastructure now.

Guests:
Peter Rogoff, administrator of the Federal Transit Administration

• howardwong

Mr. Rogoff once wrote that cities could effectively improve public transit with Bus Rapid Transit, transit preferential streets and just paint on roads.  But San Francisco’s Central Subway Project drains away local funds, while cutting surface transit—-in the last few years and for the future as well.  If valid, would the FTA evaluate falsification of data for the Central Subway, which wrongly justified the project?

• hangston giles

Large projects usually have detractors.  For this reason sponsors almost always say something like:  “No matter what we build someone won’t like it, so we should push ahead with our plans”.  But some large projects really are destructive.  Such as San Francisco’s Central Subway project for instance.  Local political hype aside, please comment on the merits or lack thereof of the project. 

• Galen

To get from Oakland to San Jose, I usually transfer at Coliseum station from BART to the Amtrak Capitol Corridor. The entire trip takes about 1.5 hours, approximately the same as the BART service will take. The only caveat is that the Capitol Corridor service to the south bay runs only once every 2 or 3 hours. 

While I support the BART extension to the south bay, I truly believe that boosting the existing rail service to San Jose could provide a similar transportation solution at a fraction of the cost. Instead, we could build new BART lines along corridors that are guaranteed to attract > 40,000 riders per day such as Geary Blvd. 

• Todd

I know that people are complaining so much about the costs of transportation projects, but the reality is that these are investments. California wants to claim to be so environmentally friendly but then oppose public transit. I just moved to San Rafael a year ago from Boston and I am appalled at the lack of good, affordable public transit. When I first got here, I asked about why BART didn’t come up to the North Bay and was told that they didn’t want it because it brought the “wrong element”. I am really regretting my decision to move here. I haven’t had to have a car for 14 years and now have to consider purchasing one.

• Clint

A BART extension is to San Jose is great, but what the citisens of Livermore that have been paying taxes for BART since day one?

• RichardC

Lots of places besides Livermore pay into BART but don’t get service to their doorsteps- Emeryville, San Ramon, Hercules, the Richmond District in SF, etc. But residents of all of those places can still access the system by driving or taking the bus to the closest station. Paying to extend BART to every low-density suburban location in the district probably doesn’t make sense, and certainly isn’t the highest priority.

Santa Clara County, on the other hand, raised their own taxes twice to pay it’s share of both construction and operating costs for the San Jose extension, and Santa Clara has a much larger tax base than Livermore alone. And San Jose makes sense as a high priority destination for BART because it has over a million residents and is a regional job center.

• Mike k

It currently costs anywhere from 2-4 times as much to get from the Bay to LA by train instead of plain. Will the high-speed rail actually make the cost of trains a real alternative?

• RichardC

Ok, if I look right now at going to LA next weekend (Fri-Sun), I can get a roundtrip Amtrak fare of $112 or $296 on Expedia to fly. Maybe that’s a fluke, but even another month out, I get $112 train vs. $200 flying. Am I missing something?

• Tiggeroo02

Bart east to Livermore and west to San Jose Diridon and north through the Peninsula replacing Caltrain. HSR along the I5 corridor from San Diego to Seattle with a spur from Livermore Bart to connect.

Use HSR (at a lower speed0 to ship produce and commercial at night via storage containers that can easily be driven onto the stations and rolled onto the tracks.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor