Bay Area writer Anne Lamott’s son Sam was 19 when he told his mother that his girlfriend was pregnant. Lamott’s book, “Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son’s First Son” tells the story of becoming a grandmother, and of her grandson’s first year.

Lamott’s other books include “Operating Instructions,” an account of life as a single mother during her son’s first year, and “Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.”

• Regsinfo

Your books sound interesting. Can I read your second book first and still enjoy the first book? Or do you suggest reading “Operating Instructions” first?

• I have been moved and inspired by Bird by Bird and Operating Instructions. I am a writing momma pediatrician of a 15 yo boy with special mental health needs. He is sensitive about my memoir writing, The Snapdiva Returns.  How did you work it out with Sam to be able to write about him? 

• Gretchen

Operating Instructions was a true God-send to me when I had my daughter (now 6). I’ve recommended it to any new mom who crosses my path. At that time, struggling with post partum depression among other things, I felt like I was a chronic failure at parenting, and Ms. Lamott’s honesty and humor saved my sanity, and helped me to realize how much we all have in common (when we are honest with ourselves and each other). I am looking forward to reading this new one, and was thrilled to hear Ms. Lamott on Forum this morning. I also very much enjoyed her books about faith, as well as her novels of fiction. Ms. Lamott is a wonderful talent, and her writing has been a blessing to me many times in my life. 

• Scrabblist

How nice Ms. Lamott has friends willing to flog her wares!

• Lee

I was interested in your writing, not your child and his child, and instead of using the opportunity to talk about it, you got on your high-horse and trotted out that old psycho-chestnut to dismiss my experience of your writing as a projection (“It’s you not me”). 

This is exactly why I used the word, “recoil”: the aggressive preciousness that seems to characterize your writing and your relationship to it is exactly what keeps me from buying your books.

• Monica

The beauty of non-mandatory reading is, no one is asking you to be interested in Anne Lamott’s child or his child. But, after all, the main point of the interview is for Anne to discuss her newest book (gentle promotion/outreach to fans all being part of a working author’s lot).  And with the subtitle of her newest book being “A Journal of My Son’s First Son”, its subject matter is not exactly a secret.  It seems a little unreasonable for you to expect her to discuss her writing style if you’re disavowing your interest in whatever it is she chooses to write about. 
      At any rate, she’s at liberty to write what she wants, and you’re at liberty to keep not-buying her books.   

• Mike

I love Anne Lamott. I have bought 3 of her books now. I enjoyed this interview.  But I am a bit saddened by the nastiness expressed by “Lee,” the last caller, in the post she wrote below. How self-absorbed can one be?  How psycho!  Did she not listen to Anne’s gracious reaching-out to her, in unnecessarily apologetic tones, and then complimenting her in a couple ways, too?  No, she was already lost in her own self-absorbed hissy fit, recoiling again and refusing to see that the initial reply — resembling “It’s you not me,” yes — hit the mark as well as anything she could have said, after all.  Hey, No big deal. But I will continue to read, re-read, and applaud Anne Lamott. Sincerely, she’s a GREAT writer.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor