San Francisco's Ocean Beach

Parts of San Francisco’s Ocean Beach have been sliding into the sea, and with climate change, the erosion is expected to get much worse. We discuss a new plan to protect San Francisco’s coast.

Benjamin Grant, project manager for the Ocean Beach Master Plan with the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR)

• Billy-Bob Boethius

See what you get for being San Francisco liberals?  Here in Real America, we know that if you don’t believe in that “global” “warming” stuff, it can’t hurt you.

Next:  how covering your eyes makes you invisible.

• Karen Ivy

All this fascination with coastal erosion “due to global warming” fascinates me.  Washing away and shifting is what coastal areas DO – especially on a geologically active coast like California’s.  A century ago officials decided that Ocean Beach was a stable phenom and they could build roads next to it and tunnels over it – and they were just WRONG.  We now get to clean up their errors.  I venture to suggest that we’d have had to do this eventually even if the climate were not warming.  Phooey.

• Ralph

Is it feasible to create an artificial barrier reef? If so, could that in turn be used as a foundation for offshore windmills?

If the Army Corp is involved, I expect it will be a boondoggle. Just look at the disaster they caused by putting in defective dykes in New Orleans, which caused one contractor putting them in to sue them before Katrina.

Check out the film The Big Uneasy if you want to know how badly the Corps screwed up there, and everywhere they touch down.

• I know this program is mainly focused on the coastline.  But what about impacts to the Sacramento-San Joaquin river delta area?  I assume that there would be some sort of link between these two areas.

• Gordon Reetz

I forget the reference, but Lake Merced has been open to the ocean at least twice in historic times.  I believe the last time was shortly before the 06 earthquake.

• Tyler Lockwood

If errosion is the is the most immediate issue a jetty just south of the water treatment plant will capture sand as it travels down the long shore/ off shore current. This creates at least a temporary buffer and increases width of South OB.

• Doug F

For planning purposes, the State of California’s official figure for sea-level rise is 4ft by 2100, not just the mere 14″ by 2050.  Has that been taken into account  in this proposed plan?  

• Gordon Reetz

I found one of the references for the Ocean Beach/Lake Merced connection.  It is “The Annals of San Francisco” by Soule, Gihon and Nisbet (page 408).  They mention that there was a link to the two bodies of water in Novemeber 23, 1852.

• Bill McLaughlin

Surfrider San Francisco Chapter has been working to solve this issue for many years. We favor a managed retreat plan for Ocean Beach erosion similar to the SPUR proposal. Check out our blogsite for a history of this issue and our efforts. See

• Soma Is Chatterjee

This is a fasinating conversation. Bengamin Grant exaplined the problem as nicely as he always does for our classes at SJSU.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor