President Obama has called on the nation to do some “soul-searching” after the shooting death in Florida of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. The incident has sparked protests across the nation. We speak with local African-American men about the tragedy and their own experiences.

James Taylor, associate professor of politics at the University of San Francisco
Jabari Gray, development officer for Youth Radio
Myles Bess, production assistant at Youth Radio and a high school senior in Alameda

• Fred

“In a police state, only the police are free.”¬† That aphorism should be amended to include “any dumb thug who is licenced by the state or locality to carry and use a gun as he sees fit.” I wonder whether the perpetrator is even able to spell the word “gun”. He probably writes it as “gub” (movie reference). ūüôā

• Shannon

Very powerful show. Thank you, Michael and Thank you guests for sharing your experiences and speaking out. Our nation is in a sad state. Thank you for helping to empower people to fight for justice and speak out!!!

The killing of Travon was a complete tragedy. The truth WILL come out.¬† However… I’m a white person who’s lived in Atlanta and Oakland who’s seen daily crimes where whites (and blacks) have been victimized by young black males. The sad truth is that the genuine thugs committing crimes every single day have made whites defensive, cautious and very angry at being constant victims living in fear. Good law abiding black folks need to put themselves in our shoes too.¬† ¬† ¬†

• ced1

¬†Sorry, posted this in resposnse to Djaffar. This response is for “Guest”
       You can worry more about the white wall street thugs who just destroyed the world economy. Just saying.

A more intelligent serious and relevant response is warranted here.

• devaspark

I think we should be mindful of both types of injustices committed by both groups of people.

However, pointing out another group saying “Hey! They’re doing far worse than us!”, doesn’t mean we should ignore Guest’s initial comment.

I do believe a few bad eggs are smearing the whole black community’s image unfortunately. Something I hope we can all work to reverse.

• Djaffarc

It is sickening to hear such acts in the 21st century. I think we should do a brain searching and educate ourselves that we are all humanbeings and there is no need to hate oneanother. I believe when someone hate another because of their race is because that person hate themselves. Come on America lets stop this racism and live together in harmony and prosperity.

• ced1

You can worry more about the white wall street thugs who just destroyed the world economy. Just saying.

• Susan

The Oakland Museum has a powerful video installation of Black men of all ages discussing freedom, the “n” word and racism in America. Go see it.
    I saw it yesterday. It runs until July 8. It’s called “Question Bridge: Black Males.”

• Geraldo Rivera’s hoodie comment reminds me of the “if she wasn’t dressed so provocatively, she wouldn’t have been raped” argument. Why do we live in a culture where the victim is blamed for the crime?¬†

• RegularListener

IF it’s a case of a hoodie being attacked physically simply for looking “threatening”¬†¬†then the analogy with sexual assault on someone dressed “provocatively” holds. At the moment, we don’t know that’s exactly what happened in this particular case. That needs to be determined by those presented with the forensic evidence (police, grand jury, whatever).¬†The victim may have done something physically threatening,¬†which we¬†aren’t aware of simply from listening to the tape.
      But some callers were NOT making this argument anyway, and you need to be careful about assuming that they were. They were NOT saying¬†that’s it’s OK to¬†attack someone because of the way they’re dressed. They’re saying that they don’t want to be called racist simply because¬†they take precautions¬†like crossing the street, walking faster, locking a car door, whatever. because of the way someone on the street is dressed.¬†I don’t mind someone saying they were¬†sexually aroused to see “provocatively” clad person. I mind them saying that this allows to force someone into sex.

Honestly, ¬†I am more¬†cautious around all¬†men, regardless of race or dress,¬†than I am around¬†women, and I don’t appreciate being called sexist for¬†this. Men, especially young ones, way¬†disproportionately commit violence (murder, assault,rape, etc.)¬†compared to females. Gender is a far better predictor of violent crime than race, even in this country with its conflictual racial history,¬†so why all the focus on race and racism, rather than gender socialization¬†when it come to violent crime?¬†Unfortunately, many more males are socialized to use violent¬†means to get what they want or to solve problems than females, and until this is changed, both males and females will be¬† acting reasonably if they act more cautious around other¬†men.

• Mialexa0010

I was violently mugged by 2 black teens in hoodies in a block from my home in Alameda in January 2011. I was also attacked and sexually assaulted by a group of black teens while I was waiting for a bus with my mother at the fruitvale BART. After I was mugged, people of every race would ask me, unprompted, if the muggers were black.

That doesn’t sound truthful.¬†

• Mialexa0010

Oh it is true.

¬†It doesn’t sound like you’ve ever been to Oakland.

• nowardg

Real name: (NICK from Oakland) As a young black man that was born in Iowa and raised in Missouri, this tragedy hits home. I lived in a suburban neighborhood that had only one other black family and only felt comfortable on my street. When I ventured onto other streets where people did not know me I always felt that I had to “prove” that I wasn’t a dangerous black man and this was within my own neighborhood!

• ced1

The woman who clutches her purse  when she sees me on the elevator does not realize that Wall Street has already stolen her money.

• Joe

This makes no sense. ¬†If she has money on her person, obviously someone hasn’t taken it from her.

• ced1

¬†See, that’s the point. She is so worried about the black guy she doesn’t even realize that she has already been robbed by a white guy..

• Joe

I understand what you’re trying to express, but the situation is not apt. ¬†What you should have said was something along the lines of “but more of her money has already been stolen by ____”

I think you’re missing the fear/violence factor involved in theft/mugging. ¬†Big companies effectively “steal” your money, but they typically don’t threaten personal harm while doing so.

• Chrisco

I don’t doubt racial profiling, widespread racism, serial harassment by the police as ensconced in the ‘stop and frisk’ policy etc. But it is not like white people walk down the street and are all friendly with strangers. I get a lot of what appear to be unpleasant looks that have nothing to do with racism.

• Fred

In areas that are largely white-only, the sort of prejudice that blacks have to deal with is directed toward whites who appear poor, or drive a pickup truck, or have pale skin, or are unfamiliar.
    This all derives from the attitude of “I got mine so screw you Jack”, where envy is king and everyone is a threat to your hoard of goodies.

• ced1

Why do you never hear the phrase “white on white crime’? Happens every day.

• Kate from San Francisco

The most disturbing part of
    this tragedy for me is the failure of our criminal justice system to prosecute
    the murderer of a beautiful child because of a law. 
    I was particularly disturbed to hear this news on the heels of
    the brutal police repression of peaceful OWS protesters a couple weeks ago,
    combined with the current criminal prosecution of and invented charges against beaten, peaceful November 9th
    protestors at UC Berkeley.  There
    is a coalescing of sentiment in this country that our courts, our laws, are so corrupt
    and so biased that we must return to nonviolent direct action relied upon by
    past movements when institutions of political power fail.

• Fred

As a black man I’ve come to expect suspicious looks, the ubiquitous crossing of the road and the sound of automatic door locks when passing. It was much more frequent when I was younger and lived in suburban southern california. Now, in middle age, wearing glasses, business casual clothing and living in Oakland it still happens. That said, I do feel we bear some responsibility for feeding the stereotype in dress and behavior. It justifies nothing but in a culture that is already prejudiced is unhelpful.

• Churchlady320

I’m so terribly sorry this happens to you.¬† No one deserves that kind of ubiquitous disrespect.¬† But my white nephew and his friends, Black and white, all dress the same.¬† In a group, no one can tell who’s who.¬† But my nephew can take off the clothes and walk freely in ways you cannot.¬† That is why it’s not hoodies – it’s racism.¬†

• Jbrowningrules

He may have been followed due to his dress but he was shot because he was beating a guys face in. What is so hard to understand about that? There is a reason they call it Nieborhood “WATCH.” Should we have a problem with that or is looking out for our fellow residents a good reason for facial rearangement?

• Wham817

I would bet that you would say you were there and witnessed it. Btw, what part of w a t c h do you not understand? And according to the police, he was part of that neighborhood. He was staying (living) with someone in the neighborhood.
        Just because you and your cross burning idiot neighborhood w a t c h clan couldnt read the memo does not make it right. You think you can twist the laws to fit the crime? it doesn’t work that way anymore.

If this Zimmerman guy starts following me, I would say that I would have every right to fear for my life. Tap tap, a quick roll around on the ground for good measure and I am golden. At least until someone recognizes me following them….understand yet?

If the DOJ does not step in soon my shinny white @as will be joining the ranks of the other citizens whom have had enough lack of law enforcement.

This makes my stomach churn just like it did the first time I saw a good old cross burning. Vile….

• “That said, I do feel we bear some responsibility for feeding the stereotype in dress and behavior. It justifies nothing but in a culture that is already prejudiced is unhelpful.”

I don’t understand that statement at all. Dress and behavior are modes of expression. If I walked down the street screaming: “I’m gonna beat somebody up.” people would be quite justified in switching sides of the street, gripping purses, avoiding eye contact etc… If your dress and mode of behavior say: “I’m gonna beat somebody up” or something to that effect, why would you expect people to not listen and react accordingly?

• Aviva

If that young man feels persecuted by the people who are discriminating against him on the street on account of his skin color, then let him say “persecuted.” Don’t make him change his words because his experience doesn’t sound strong enough to merit that vocabulary.

• Olivia

It’s very sad that people is targeted because their skin color. I live in Bay View. .I am Hispanic and I been descriminated from African American people too. The bus drivers who are African American tend to be very unpolite with Chinese and Hispanic. ¬†Some African American Teenagers are very aggressive with immigrants. One time, they spray pepper spray on a chinese young boy in order to still their i pod at the T line. They come to my chinese neighboors and make fun of how they speak and their eyes.They harasse chinese girls because of their race. In my job, my boss that was an African American was very mad when I spoke Spanish with other people that was not from my job. As well, I’ve been discriminated from white and black people. I walk with fear in Bay View because I am going to be stolen. I know a lot of people who has experience this. My point is that many people in the US tend to have phobias to racial differences. This horrible tragedy shows how people can mess up because their racial intolerance. All of us we should have in mind this tragedy in order to avoid to do this kind of injustice.

• Justice

Prejudice exists against every group of people. Some of it is founded in personal victimization experiences. However in this country there is still so much more prejudice and related injustices against black males that if we believe in the “principle of justice” we need to treat it like a national disease that requires direct conscientious action.

• RegularListener

This is your opinion, but it is hardly an¬†objective fact.”so much more prejudice and related injustices against black males” than others? Not if you ask me. Low income women of all races in this country face much more injustice–poorly rpaid on the workforce, shouldering more housework and child care than males, more vulnerable to violence from partners/spouses than males, fewer marriage options (men not women still propose marriage and even black males, despite the prejudice against them, have more marriage options across race and class than black females) and yet despite this, their coping mechanisms are so much less harmful to society and more helpful to their families and others! On average, low-incomewomen take responsibilty for more childcare than low-incomemen of all races AND are far, far less¬†often commiting ¬†violent crime, despite the same poverty, child abuse, or other¬†tragedies they face. This is not because they face less injustice, on the contrary. It is because they are not as commonly socialized into using violence to get want they want as males; we do not glamorize angry violent females. Many,¬†glamorize angry violent males.regardless of race.

• Justice

I am white and have mixed kids. I have taught them to be wary of this indemic prejudice in this nation.
    I was once told that if I wanted to end racism, I would have to begin within myself. I constantly review my attitudes and behaviors. It is biologically natural to assess strangers for potential danger. It is NOT natural to assume that danger resides behind black faces. That is taught behavior and requires rigorous retraining.

Hopefully this incident will stir all of us to mindfully do soul searching as President Obama has requested. Only self awareness, compassion and effort will change things, time alone is not sufficient. We have work to do.

• Leonard

Did it ever occur to the guest that women clutch their purses and cross the street because you are a MAN and not because your are black. I have noticed the same reaction from women, and I am a white man. Women have every right to be cautious around men because men are capable of violence and are much larger than women. 

• Churchlady320

I’m rarely afraid of men, period.¬† I am wary around groups of adolescents regardless of race simply due, yes, to raging hormones and undeveloped brains.¬† My white nephew and his peers dress EXACTLY like what suddenly has been labeled “gangsta” style.¬† Put any group of boys in saggy pants and hoodies and cover their hands – you can’t tell anything about race.¬† So I’m not afraid of “the look”.¬†It’s universal.¬†Justifying racial bais and fear over clothing is absurd.¬† It’s an excuse to blame the victim.¬† What these men are saying proves the point – doesn’t matter how you’re dressed.¬† If you’re Black, you’re a suspect.¬† That’s just racism pure and simple. Shoes make you look undocumented, hoodies like a gangster, short skirts like a slut.¬† All excuses to blame the victim.

• RA

Didn’t see your post in my first reading or i would have posted here instead of top level. ¬† ¬† Def. willing to believe that it’s worse for people of color, but to attribute all ¬†social dynamics purely or primarily to race is dumb.

• Ramona

Fox news…. bah ha ha

• Churchlady320

This has been heart-breaking. Living daily with the expressed fear from those of us who are white must be exhausting and dispiriting beyond anything anyone should have to experience.  There is almost nothing to say other than I am so horribly sorry this happens to Black men in America.  I hope it does not take another 400 years to undo. 

• james

One of the guess said “you don’t bring a gun to a fist fight” referring specifically to this case and more broadly to Stand Your Ground laws. This would be a platitude if not completely¬†ridiculous¬†statement. Not only it’s¬†inappropriate¬†– we’re talking about¬†assault¬†not¬†consensual¬†combat – but it’s impractical as one cannot ask his/her assaulter what kind of fight are they about to engage in!¬†
    Also, the same guest said that laws like Stand Your Ground are ultimately sponsored and pushed by corporation. Seriously? these laws are to protect law¬†abiding¬†citizens from people who think that going into a ‘fist fight’ is an¬†appropriate¬†behavior.¬†Listening to the rest of the show, I realized i shouldn’t get worked up on this, since this guest illustrates his points by a collage of naive and border line stupid populist platitudes.Mr Krasny, I love your show and look forward to listen every morning, but at least one guest wasn’t up to your standard today.

• Churchlady320

What he said about corporations is quite true.¬† It’s the “planter” tactic of dividing populations so they do not unite to challenge the “planter”.¬† That historically is the root of the KKK in reconstruction since poor Black and poor white sharecroppers and hardscrabble farmers had vastly more in common than not.¬† Same today.¬† If white people and Black people united around their mutual exploitation by corporations, many changes would occur that threaten corporate hegemony.¬† Racial, cultural, and ethnic divides are the best way to keep that from happening.¬† Molly Ivins said that politics in America is not really about left and right but up and down.¬† Keeping those who are down from uniting is a very important political goal of those in power.

• Trent

This is ridiculous. Corporations are busy worrying about the financial ledgers and making sales. Not dividing and conquering the masses. SMH.

• Churchlady320

Oh sure.¬† That’s why they refrain from funding PACs and creating phony “Americans For” and “Citizens Against” or putting money into 501-c-4s to carry out their will.¬† Yup.¬† They NEVER do that. Pure as the driven snow, are corporations.

• james

What about the right to defend yourself, is this ¬†something that¬†corporations¬†have forced upon us? if that’s the case – which doesn’t make sense whatsoever, this is a better outcome ¬†than a police state depriving you of your rights.

• Churchlady320

I believe we were discussing the smiling happiness of corporate America watching us divide against one another rather than uniting against them. If you LIKE being deprived of your freedoms – the right to have a decent job, to benefit from the wealth you created, the right to have your community unspoiled by development you don’t want, the right to have¬†rights IN the workplace, having consumer choices you really want that aren’t yanked because they are insufficiently profitable –¬†¬†by private corporations, then by all means keep on suspecting your neighbors and pay no attention at all to the powerful forces shaping your life in the private realm.¬† What rights has your national or state or local government taken away from you?¬† I’ve lost none at all, so I’m seriously interested in what the government has done to you.¬† Please don’t tell me what they’re “gonna” do to you.¬† Tell me what they have done already. I’d be interested.

• late night rant

Think along these lines for a moment:

If you work in a ‘Right to work State, would you walk up to management and announce “I think we should start a Union.” No, you wouldn’t do that, unless you wanted to get fired. (I am not trying to argue the whole “union” ideal).

The Church lady is correct. Do you think you really know what goes on in those corporate think tanks?
          Today’s children don’t stand a chance unless their parents are wealthy enough to send them to private schools. Every thing about this Great Country of ours is completely different then it was just a few decades ago.

Today we have the Meg Whitman’s of the world. These CEO’s make a few hundred million in bonus’ finding ways to legally “lay off” employees instead of paying out pensions. Show me a job today where you can start at the bottom and work your way up to retirement. Now, I am not singling out Ms Whitman on purpose, heck if I were able to graduate Harvard and Prinston.

How far would all those multi billion dollar bonus go toward pensions? Remember when the auto dealers merged a few years ago? Lets talk the Chrysler Daimler merger. Do you know that when the Germans found out how much their American CEO counterparts made per year in comparison they were very unhappy. My point? Daimler Benz built a far superior automobile and while their CEO s were paid handsomly, they didn’t make the rediculous amount of money as their US counterparts, whom by the way built some of the crappiest cars from the mid to late 70,s till the merger. And now that they are no longer merged they are slipping back to their old ways.

If you read this rant this far, thank you.

When my dads company pulled out of the US in the early eighties his district manager hung himself. In the note he left, he mentioned the shame he felt for the employees he supervised that were not getting the pensions they were promised and were depending on.

• Wham817

“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain pulling the strings”.

I luv the new slogan my TV news station plays. ‘Thank you for trusting us with your news”. Why wouldn’t I? Lol

• Massai

James, I was that guest. And you need to study the issue of proportionality in “self-defense” and “castle laws” and you need to study Stand your Ground’s origins in relation to ALEC (which I named, look it up and get back to me). “Stand Your Ground” largely mean, “white people, stand your ground against non-whites.” Do you really think Trayvon would get to go home if he survived and Zimmerman lived? You are living in a fantasy land, if you do. ¬†Do your homework before you try to offer criticism that you cannot understand.¬†

• massai

oops, typos. “means” and ¬†“Zimmerman had not lived”?¬†

• james

Stand Your Ground” largely mean, “white people, stand your ground against non-whites.”¬†¬†> that’s a very subjective opinion, that¬†might¬†be correlated in some cased, but i doubt would ever be proved to be a causality.Do you really think Trayvon would get to go home if he survived and Zimmerman lived?> i never said i did, and think this is a tragic predisposition in our country.¬†Do your homework before you try to offer criticism that you cannot understand.¬†
        > this is exactly i felt commenting on this board for the first time in 4 year’s i’ve been listening to forum. You have not proven anything substantial in your reply and are asking me to check my facts. Below standard.

• “Stand Your Ground” laws stand for the principle that a person who is in a place they are allowed to be acting peacefully should not have to yield to illegitimate violence. In other words: if I am walking down the street minding my own business, criminals should not be able to force me to run away. The fact that such laws are being pushed by limited-government groups such as ALEC (regardless of their funding source) is simply ideologically consistent. From an individual liberty point of view, the one who attacks you violated the social contract and you owe him no more duty than to a vicious animal to paraphrase Locke.

As for the proposition that ‘”Stand Your Ground” largely mean, “white people, stand your ground against non-whites”‘ I don’t quite know why that is relevant. Yes, there are some racial inequalities in this country. They must be addressed. But that doesn’t mean that we should repeal laws that are the expression of sensible principles. The vast majority of criminal convictions are born by men. Would you say that the disparate impact of criminal codes is an argument in favor of their repeal?

• I found particularly interesting his argument that one cannot get killed in such a fight. And my interesting, I meant absurd. You need not fight Bruce Lee to get seriously injured and even killed in a fist fight. Particularly dangerous are strikes to the head which can result in deadly concussions or more simply your skull caving in. Broken ribs and broken fingers have version serious consequences. And then there are the more minor bruises or even just the minor pain. (And we haven’t even talked about the psychological effects of such a fight) If you can legally do so, bringing a gun to a fist fight is a smart idea, justified and even a public service.

• Psam1982

The fact is, Zimmerman killed an unarmed kid.If Trayvon was a white kid, Zimmerman would have been arrested immediately. I am black from Africa and I have been told several times by Americans of all races ¬†that ” what are you doing here? go back to Africa”.

• Joe

You’re basing this presumption of arrest on what exactly? ¬†Unarmed people (of all shapes/sizes/colors) are killed every day. ¬†Are humans not capable of killing, or severely wounding, while unarmed? ¬†

Let’s all learn more about this particular incident before we start making sweeping generalizations. ¬†

• J_kel

Oh really Joe? Can you point to an example of an unarmed white kid being shot down and the murderer walking away scott free, no charges ever pressed? Yeah, good luck with that.

I have met several black people from various countries and all of them have been a pleasure to know. They acted with much more class and dignity than many of the African Americans I’ve met in my lifetime.¬† Ultimately, it’s not what you look like but how you act.¬† Just as African American thugs can bring down the perception of an entire race or color, ignorant racist whites can do the same thing.

• Sam from Oakland

I appreciate that Mr. Gray acknowledged that when african american teenagers dress up like hoods, this DOES have an affect on how they are perceived by others who don’t know them (including other african americans). I also heard him say that it doesn’t matter how HE dresses, and that makes me sad.

Someone on this show also mentioned that non-african americans are disproportionately frightened of african americans even though crime rates have gone down. ¬†This is a crying shame too. ¬†But remember that MOST people haven’t been mugged, so why would they have this perception? ¬†I think that the depiction of african americans in popular culture has a lot to do with it, some of that comes from certain african americans themselves – the lovely world of gangster rappers.

When entire genre of music MOSTLY glorifies criminal behavior, getting away with that behavior, killing anyone who even criticizes that behavior, and getting rich of that behavior, do we really have cause to be surprised when young african americans pretend to behave like this, or worse yet, actually behave like it?

Bill Cosby and others have called upon young african americans to moderate this glorification of criminality, and thereby (in the long run) reduce the harmful perceptions that non-african americans have.  I think they have a point.

• james

I have to agree. As I cross you on the street, I have a split second to make a judgment. If you are wearing prison and ghetto inspired clothes, glimmering chains inspired by a social culture glorifying prostitution, voilent crimes and materialism, chances are that i will adjust behavior quite differently than if you were an 86 year old grandma from India.
      I grew up in a country where races were not as segregated as there are here. Are we sure we’re not mixing up issues here – Is this really about race, or about culture? Notice that what i wrote above would apply for a white, hispanic or asian guy.¬†

• David Grace

I am more interested in fear-mongering profiteers as regard this case. These laws were designed for an apocalyptic world view. They were planned in advance, and highlighted with propaganda campaigns, which sold guns and security spending.

People spend big money on units in a gated community. They pay for security, but Zimmerman was unpaid, and spending a large amount of time in a community, where he did not live, miles from his home.

Paranoia is profitable in the Military-Industrial Complex. They feed on fear and division, and an election year will mandate erratic campaign decisions.

I can appreciate the previous quote by Molly Ivins “that politics in America is not really about left and
    right but up and down.  Keeping those who are down from uniting is a
    very important political goal of those in power.”

• utera

The white guilt industrial complex is also quite profitable.

• Jbrowningrules

Trayvon was not beating Zimmerman with Skittles or a can of soda, he used is fists whi h kill hundreds every year. If Zimmerman had been an anoying, nagging wife and TrYvon had been the husband would there be outrage if she shot him while he was pulverizing her face?

• Mialexa0010

What was most frightening about this discussion was James Taylor’s bullying of callers and either his deliberate misinterpretation of the facts of the Martin shooting or his complete inability to understand and evaluate facts and statistics around crime. The poor woman he accused of being ” supremely ignorant” had already stated that minorities were disproportianately victims of crimes. The perpetrators of crimes against minorities are, of course, minorities. How do you put a positive spin on those facts mr taylor? By yelling at people and calling them ” ignorant”? It is not acceptable for whites to call blacks ignorant nor is it acceptable for an assistant professor to call someone he disagrees with, ignorant. If he can’t argue calmly, using facts, I guess he wants people to be scared of him. I feel really sorry for Taylor’s students. If people like him are allowed to dominate the debates we will never solve our racial problems.

A young, hispanic child was shot by a black man here in oakland recently, but you don’t see us running around in a lynch mob as many blacks are doing over a case they really are making gross assumptions about as they were not witnesses to the crime and are ascribing motives and thoughts to george zimmerman that he may not have or hold. Also mr taylor kept calling zimmerman a “white hispanic” which zimmerman is no more than obama is a white african.

Almost all hispanics in the US are a combination of native american and european. Zimmerman’s semitic blood makes no different than any other hispanic who might have spanish, german, french, moorish and even jewish blood mixed with native american from way back in colombus’s time. Zimmerman could go to any native american reserve in the US and be instantly recognized as a native. Blacks face many problems and obstacles but fear of genocidal acts perpetrated against them by peruvian indians should be last on their list. Perhaps Trayvon “profiled” zimmerman based on zimmerman’ s latino appearance and reacted with an attack for that reason. This is just an assumption on my part. Also, how do we know that Trayvon wasn’t behaving in a suspicious manner, exactly as zimmerman stated in his call. We don’t, because we were not there. We can only make stupid assumptions. Many of you who are angry about zimmerman’s so called “assumptions” about Martin, are relishing and getting way down deep in your assumptions about zimmerman’ s supposed racial animus based soley on his Jewish blood, which in this bizarre upside world somehow turns him into some sort of de facto “white cracker”. Nuts!

• utera

You see this a lot in conversations on this, on many left leaning sites like gawker people are simply shouted down and called racist for bringing up any inconvenient information at all, other sites simply don’t let anything other than voices of agreement appear on their pages. ¬†Whatever this case has done, its shown the left can be every bit as close minded as the right.

I agree, and I was somewhat shocked (enough to come online here and see if anybody else noticed) that Michael Krasny didn’t refute James Taylor. The poor woman said herself that blacks as well as whites are victims of this “criminal element”, and James Taylor started calling her ignorant for failing to recognize something she had already acknowledged. He then went on to avoid the question of this criminal element entirely, as if it didn’t exist.

Usually the host does a better job of keeping his guests honest. He sure did drop the ball on this one!

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Oakland, Detroit,Trenton New Jersey have so many kids being killed by other blacks. And these are cities who have had black leadership for decades. The question not being asked is why cannot the leaders and citizens of these crime ridden cities change the climate of crime? Dr. Bill Cosby has spoken out about the changes that the black community need to make and he gets slammed by blacks.

The issue with the gated community in Sanford, Florida is they had a man with a Neighborhood Watch who ignored the police dispatcher who told him to NOT follow the young man. I know of no Neighborhood Watch that even suggests carrying a firearm. When law enforcement came out to talk to our neighborhood we were told point blank to NOT act like we are law enforcement.

Stand Your Ground is supposed to be for real life threatening situations on your own property or in your home! Its not for using a firearm should someone throw something at your home, car. There is a reason the homeowners association in this gated community is being sued. They did NOT stay on top of the Neighborhood Watch leader.

• RA

Given what happened in Florida (whether it was racial or not and whoever was at fault) i can see how people could feel threatened.

HOWEVER, this show overall is totally uncritical, self-serving tripe.  The guests and callers feel threatened and profiled because of their race.

How do they know what it’s like for people of other races ?! ¬†
    I’m white and women sometimes cross the street when they see me coming and/or give me a wide berth. ¬† When i walk along in a residential neighborhood i get suspicious looks from people working in their garages or walking with their kids.

10 years ago i was driving w/ some friends (none black) late one night in New England.  We pulled over for some reason or another and suddenly we were surrounded by 10 police cars.   We were frisked and questioned.   Why ?  supposedly  because we fit the description of some group who had assaulted a police officer or something.

I also worry that people think i’m a thug and i smile and speak politely in order to assuage their fears. ¬†Thus, ¬†part of this is just associated with being male.

Is it worse for black people … quite ¬†possibly, but these anecdotes prove nothing. ¬†What’s worse is that these guests, with the exception of the HS student, seem interested primarily in fanning the flames of racial grievance.

• Abell

If the shooter in this case had been black, this wouldn’t even have made the front page in a local paper.

• utera

If zimmermans parents had their genders reversed and he had a latin surname this would have been a different issue again.

The facts are not going the way of those who went with the simple narrative put forth by the parents of the boy and media.  The pictures of him as a thug on drudge turned out to be real, and now we are left wondering why the media were so easily tricked, it was clear from day one that something suspicious was going on in how they relied on pictures that were completely out of date.  None of his facebook friends had pictures of him either, atleast none they would produce, this is just not normal, unless they were all trying to deceive us by trying to airbrush his image, its clear there was some coordination going on.

I don’t know what happened that day, I just know i’m getting tired of being lied to, and tired of folks like jesse jackson or al sharpton using this as a platform for their race baiting agenda.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor