Yesterday, Occupy Oakland protesters called for a citywide general strike and organized a march to shut down the Port of Oakland. There were pockets of violence and vandalism, but the day was largely peaceful. We discuss the past, present and future of Occupy Oakland.

Demian Bulwa, staff writer for The San Francisco Chronicle
Cecily Burt, reporter for The Oakland Tribune

• Wilber

No comment.

• timholton

The violent element is another 1%, in addition to the super-rich the OWES has been targeting — a tiny minority destructive of the greater good, the common wealth. They should be similarly shamed as exploiters of the 99%.

• Blue

Mr. Krasny, you should be ashamed of yourself for focusing mostly on the minor vandalism and break in that happened during the protest. You claim that the violence was worth reporting because people were arrested and ONE building was occupied.

During the day Occupy Oakland shut down and ENTIRE port, the largest port on the west coast, and you are reporting on a single building. Which is more important, what do you think has more impact. Closing a port, or entering an abandoned building.

Get some perspective. This is the lame media tricks found in the mainstream media. You should be ashamed.

• Mprlafayette

I have been listening to Forum for more than ten years.  I totally admire Michael Krasny, his encyclopedic knowledge, his ability to challenge and probe, and his deft handling of interviews.  Every single forum hosted by Mr. Krasny has been a joy to listen to….until this morning’s.  I was frankly amazed at the total absence of any probing into the reasons for the Occupy movement, its messages, or any description of the many signs that described the message of the movement.  Instead, we received nothing more than a steady stream of repetitive descriptions of, primarily, the violence that erupted tangential to the peaceful protesters.  Callers repeatedly tried to get Mr. Krasny to focus on the peaceful aspects of the march, but he brushed them off as persons who wanted to “censor” the press coverage of the violence.  I was equally shocked and chagrined to see the violence as the LEAD story of the protest on SFGate.  Wow, the shocking acts of a tiny fringe group overtake the main message so easily.  Gee, I wonder if that’s because pictures of blazing dumpsters and masked marauders SELL more papers???

Mr. Krasny never even answered the question posed about “why were the protesters marching to close the port?”  He never mentioned that the port had been closed already anyway by the longshoremen, or that the longshoremen were acting in solidarity with the movement.  Nor did he note/notice that the “closure” occurred at 6:00 p.m. AFTER the workday ended.  All of these were known and obvious facts never mentioned by Mr. Krasny or the newspersons.  

Virtually nothing was said about the core message of the protesters.  Wow, what a disappointment.

• Joel isaacson

For shame, Mr. Krasny.  Your emphasis on the vandalism and post-midnight confrontation between police and a small number of demonstrators did a good job of distorting the day, of ignoring the purpose of the activities and marches that proceeded peacefully and energetically throughout the day and into the evening.  Fortunately, you have some listener/callers who tried to bring some balance to the unfortunate emphasis that you were presenting.  The day’s events and the night’s turmoil were in effect two separate events.  Unfortunately, you seized the night. 

• I’m sorry, Mr. Krasny, although I have a great deal of respect for your work on KQED, I found your coverage of the General Strike poorly focused. Despite the attempts of both the folks you were interviewing and the people who called in to share alternate views, your questions and comments were almost completely focused on the vandalism and altercations. The march was huge and came together in only a week. That is really the amazing story.
    I’m disappointed in many of the media outlets who must know that violence “sells” so much better.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor