The House of Representatives passed a bill to raise the debt ceiling on Monday evening, and it was expected to pass the Senate on Tuesday. But many of President Obama’s supporters on the political left are upset, saying he caved to GOP demands. Will liberal dissatisfaction over the compromise pose a political problem for the president?

We discuss the proposed debt agreement and anger among some Democrats.

Jared Bernstein, senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and former chief economist and economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden
William Galston, senior fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution and former executive director of the National Commission on Civic Renewal
Zoe Lofgren, U.S. congresswoman (D) representing California's 16th Congressional District
Jackie Speier, U.S. congresswoman (D) representing California's 12th Congressional District
Michael Doyle, reporter for the Washington bureau of McClatchy Newspapers

• Patrick Wilkes

The debt ceiling debate is a sideshow to the real story.

The GAO recently revealed that the Fed has funneled $16 Trillion to a passel of huge banks and financial institutions (, and none of this is included in the $14.3 Trillion approved in the present bill under consideration.

In simple terms, the Fed has debased our currency and lined the coffers of banking insiders to help them weather the resultant imminent financial storm. The fat cats’ puppets in Washington are sucking newly-devalued dollars from the already impoverished without requiring reimbursement of our Treasury by these jackals – many of them foreign banks!

Never mind that much of the $14.3 Trillion debt exists due to off balance-sheet costs of the “war on terror” and exporting of millions of American jobs by the same Democrat and Republican traitors in Washington from NAFTA down to the present.

They may think the Average American is stupid, but not all of us are asleep at the computer monitor. We cannot afford to put up with any more of this sort of nonsense from the Fed or the Feds.

Let’s talk about that.

• Gerald Fnord

It’s not “caving” to admit that an opponent is more powerful and can get her way; given that the teabaggers didn’t get everything they wanted, I would just count it as a loss…but anyone who fights, or who practices for such, knows that sometimes you lose because the opponent is stronger or cleverer, which first itself is highly dependent on the territory on which you’re fighting.

The Republican majority in the House, and their teabag fraction, were able to work their will because they had the nation hostage.  We can complain about Obama’s giving in as much as we like, but that’s nowt unless we elect a Congress that will make it possible for him not to.

(Not worth it, but some smug satisfaction at my prediction that Boehner would by year’s end hate the teabaggers as much as any Democrat would do or more.)

• Patrick Wilkes

Gerald, there is no chance of electing true representative replacements unless We the People retake both Democratic and Republican parties from the ground up. Otherwise, we’re stuck with the nincompoops and puppets pre-vetted by the self-styled Ruling Class who are running the show right now. That means a precinct by precinct effort nationwide.

Otherwise on Election Day 2012, we choose from more of the same sellouts.

• Gerald Fnord

I disagree:  Democrats or traditional, establishment, Republicans in place of the teabaggers would have made a _big_ difference recently.  I want professional politicians who are willing to look at facts and ideologically impure enough to make deals, even as they seek to serve their constituencies as well as possible.

The single best change would be to make Congressional districts less safe, and to make them more equal, so that the sparsely populated and fairly reactionary states’ representatives wouldn’t have the excessive influence they have now. 

• Patrick Wilkes
  • Bill_Woods

Is no one going to condemn intemperate language, like referring to political opponents as “terrorists”?  Remember all the talk about the need for civil discourse after the Arizona shooting?

… And now “hostage-takers”. Sheesh.

• That’s different. It’s ok to call Republicans terrorists or hostage-takers because they are evil. Calling the Democrats the same thing however is unfair and uncivil.

• Dana

No I’m not going to condemn it because it’s true… Maybe they didn’t throw bombs but crashing the world economy because of their ideology is the same thing Bin Laden tried to do with the planes.

• Paul Robichaux

I was hoping someone would bring that up. I was flabbergasted to hear Anna Eshoo claiming that Republicans are “terrorists” on KQED this morning, although in retrospect I suppose I should have expected it for the same reason Promethee cites below: it’s only bad when the *other* guy does it.

• Patrick Wilkes

Why is the $16 Trillion giveaway by the Fed not included?

Follow the money!

• Michael Ballew

While I don’t think we should be cutting at all this soon, I feel like Obama dropped the ball when we had a small amount of revenue negotiated. He asked for more to be more in line with the gang of 6, and Boehner walked. Of course I wish he could have gotten more, but I wish (in hindsight) he had settled for some.

• Dana

I blame Boehner for being a cry baby and walking out…

• I find it hypocritical that Congressman Zoe Lofgren said that she is concerned about the debt and according to her that it is caused by massive unemployment problem.   If that’s the case, why is she supporting the H-1B that allows millions of foreign workers to come here and take away good paying jobs from American workers?

• I find it hypocritical that you oppose H-1B visas on the grounds that they destroy jobs when one of the industries that is the greatest users of such visas is one of the few industries that are creating jobs and raising wages.

• I respectfully disagree.    Wages for American IT workers have been going down since the H-1B program introduced.    The unemployment rates among highly educated Americans are 3 times above normal because of the H-1B program.   You must me either lying to suggest that the program is creating jobs.   Watch the recent Senate hearing on the abuses of the program and see it yourself.

• More workers means more things get produced means relative prices fall and we all get richer. That’s actually pretty self evident when you look at immigration policies of countries in history. As a general rule, looser immigration policies created greater growth because it allows for greater specialization, greater division of labor and greater gains in productivity.

I’m a relatively new entrant and with the tech industry being a top user of H-1B visas, my inbox contains a request for an interview every week. That sounds to me like a booming sector creating lots of jobs for everybody.

• Baloney!     Germany and Japan both have very restrictive immigration policies and they are economic superpowers with higher productivity than the U.S., net exporter (unlike the U.S), higher average wages mean richer citizens and lower employment rates than the U.S.

• Cemekeller

As much as I’ve been unhappy with Obama’a performance in all of this, I’m grateful we have not risked default. And I’m glad entitlements have been protected. That being said, healthcare is bloated and is dire need of reform. Could Democrats have used reforming Medicare and Medicaid as leverage? The new healthcare system does not address this. For example, doctors and hospitals could be paid for preventative medicine. This seems to be an obvious way to reduce our budget and persuade the public to voice their opinions mire favorably to the Democrats side.

• nealjking

I still don’t understand why President Obama didn’t just fall back on the 14th amendment unilaterally? The worse that could happen is that the Congress would impeach him; and maybe that would do him good!

At the present, the only hope for a real improvement in the situation is that the Democrats take a working super-majority in both houses of Congress. Otherwise, it’s looking dark and getting darker.

Neal J. King
    Munich, Germany

• Dana

Yes Neal it probably would have done him good.. Maybe he’d stop getting so much grey hair… But it’s not about him. It’s about us and if the Tea Party had their way they would have cut twice as much from my services. It’s going to be interesting to see what kind of blow back happens when people start to understand what’s being cut… just like the republicans did when they went back to their districts and was blown up by all the people complaining about them wanting to cut entitlements.

• Faith from EAST Bay, SF

Why is that Republicans negotiated with President Clinton but not President Obama?  Besides the increasingly polarised politics, is it possible that they are just going all out to get this African American President?

Let’s face it, failing to sign anything is President Obama’s fault, signing something giving too much to Republican is still his fault.  It’ll always be his fault.

• Have you missed the part where they got a deal and a law was passed after days of negotiation?

• Dana

Yes and in the process they cut my services without giving me the opportunity to pay for it. Raising the debt ceiling wasn’t a compromise, it just showed who it willing to pay their debts and who is not. In my mind the Tea Party are a bunch of dead beats and are probably the main ones that walked away from their mortgage obligations when they found they were underwater.

In an editorial in the L.A. Times the editors point out that the place to control the deficit is in appropriations hearings that allocate money to various areas of the government. The debt ceiling is only authorizing that the government pay it’s credit card bill. The Republicans want to be the party of personal responsibility and are incensed when people default on their mortgages and they were the party that legally made it much harder for individuals to declare chapter 11. 

I find this to be contradictory then that they feel defaulting on the public’s debt is the way to control spending yet decry those individuals who default on their personal debts as deadbeats.

• By that argument, the debt ceiling should not exist. If that’s your argument fine. Otherwise, you need to realize that the debt ceiling is a political tool whose purpose is exactly what the Republicans have used it for. It’s an extra hoop that the government has to jump through in order to spend money. The Republicans did not actually try to make the government default. They tried to use their political power to get something they wanted. It’s basically what a young senator called Barack Obama did when he had voted against raising the debt ceiling when Bush was President.

Many of the Tea Party congressional members have pork barrel projects in their own districts. As an example is Representative Steven Palazzo of Mississippi who campaigned against earmark spending but then voted to restore an earmark for 150 million dollar warship to be built in his district. The debt ceiling is a red herring, frankly.  It is easy to say that you are against government spending but when you are adding to the deficit at the same time complaining about it it is nothing less than political posturing.

• I don’t even need to follow that link to believe you. Even if this happened not to be true, there are hundreds of similar examples. But that’s the purpose that things like the debt ceiling serve for at least a short while, the public’s attention is focused on something and the politicians have to at least try to look like they are following through on their campaign promises. Sure, you can go behind close doors later and raise spending again, but the debt ceiling does make spending harder to do. I don’t think the Republicans are fiscally responsible in practice. But here, they forced cuts and reduced spending. (Kind of)

It is time for Obama to start closing military bases in the red states. If the Tea Party is going to play hardball at least Obama will be able to remind them of how much of the deficit is the result of military spending.

• Oh I would love nothing more. It’s going to be really difficult to reduce spending without touching defense, ss and medicare. So by all means, let’s close bases, shrink ss and medicare.

• Dana

Yes and he apologized later as saying it was wrong and irresponsible. But he didn’t try to wreck the economy in the process.

• chang

i am glad he voted against the debt ceiling because you know why!!! bush frickin’ misled u.s. into 2 wars over oil, allowed for deregulation of wall street creating the mortgage-backed security derivatives meltdown, created al queda, a drug prescription program that wasn’t paid for, bailed out wall street crooks…as bush started to gray, he started to look like his true colors, a red devil in disguise of the right wing christian god.  

• Brian

Remember the shock when the US budget hit $1 trillion? And now at 15, what do I get for my tax dollars? When I call the Oakland police department they won’t show up because of budget cutbacks. I cannot send my children to the school down the street, even though the real estate prices in this area are close to the highest in the country. There is no effective product regulation, truth in advertising, restrictions on anything in the media, or anything else. What are they doing with $15 Trillion besides employing people that are not doing their jobs? Any business would have to cut back. Its not the amount of money but the policies that are behind them that are the problem.

• ced1

What Rep. Emmanuel Cleaver said: It’s a shady deal. It’s a satan sandwich.
    Me? I prefer seiten sandwiches.

• Bill, Marin

Michael, simple question: why didn’t Obama use his powers under the 14th Ammendment?    You can never negotiate with terrorists, economic or otherwise.   Bush would have used the 14th and hammered the other side into submission.    Obama huddles in a corner and caves AGAIN.

• Why did the President and the Democrats refuse to pass the original Republican deal? Obviously, they are terrorists for bringing the country on the edge of default. Or maybe, just like the Republicans, they are pushing an agenda which they believe is the right thing to do and they are using the tools at their disposal.

• Cindy, San Mateo

Michael, it’s TRUE that Obama didn’t have many options at the end.   The PROBLEM was that once again, he let the GOP define the terms of the debate.   He sits back until it’s too late and then ends up with no options.

• Rfpol

The Bush tax cut will be renewed. The Republicans will hostage the nation again and Obama will give in again.  The next election will decide what the nation want to do with the deficit question – shared sacrifice (Democrat) or pure spending cut (Republican).

I will not vote for Obama again and I hope that somebody will come out this Democratic ash heap to run for president with a little more courage to fight for the voiceless.

• chang

congressional republican house representative are to blame, not obama.

• Jeremy Traurig

The President could have taken care of this back in December 2010 when he extended the Bush tax cuts. As a condition for the last stimulus, why didn’t Obama ask congressional Republicans to raise the debt ceiling. Instead, he played right into the Republicans hands and they controlled the debate. We knew back in December that this Debt ceiling debate would occur. Obama could have played this on his terms but requiring it be raised in exchange for those extremely expensive Bush tax cuts.

• chang

well, they held middle class and lower class hostage here as well.  they weren’t going to extend unemployment and the tax payroll deduction which showed up in our pay checks. 

• Kathleen31

Elections matter, indeed. Aside from the fact that Obama did almost nothing to use his 2008 political capital to fend off the Tea Party assault that resulted in the Democrat’s’ Congressional losses in 2010, why did he not act more aggressively on everything BEFORE the results of that election kicked in?

• James Ivey

What ever happened to the “unitary executive”?  When a Republican was President, the President was not limited in any way by Congress (in that theory).  Now, the same people promoting the unitary Republican executive are hinting at impeachment if a Democrat dare to consider independent judgment of constitutionality of our laws (the 14th Amendment option in particular).  Yet another example of the hypocrisy of the right.

• Oh, that only works when Republicans are in office. It’s a registered trademark. That’s what the little (R) is for next to the president’s name.

• Patrick Wilkes

Saying that the non-reaction by the “financial markets” to the $16 Trillion giveaway is sheer idiocy. These guys are the ones who took the money in exchange for keeping interest rates low. For now. Once the general population realizes that our currency has been debased, interest rates will surely rise.

• timholton

Whether it could have shaped the outcome in this case, Obama’s failure to adequately use the bully pulpit is absolutely baffling. Compromise is something you do after you’ve made your case as forcefully as you can. For one thing, why didn’t he stand up and call out all those in Congress who signed Grover Norquist’s no-tax pledge. Why hasn’t he made the basic case for a progressive tax structure? He never made a really strong, heartfelt case for increasing revenue through government stimulus. He conceded the deficit issue far too easily.

What makes it even more frustrating is that we know what a capable speaker he is. He’s shot himself in the tongue.

• chang

tim, i think he was in front of the camera many times saying that we needed tax revenue and also state that closing loopholes for oil companies, jet owners, 1% wealthest americans to share in their fair share of the taxes.  he implored citizens to come forth and call their  tea party republican representatives to stop their terrorist negotiation tactics.  i am just as upset as you, but i hope this calls the left out of the woods…protest and boycott the supporters of these neolibertarian/tea party/christian fundamentalist, i.e., kock brothers, ALEC, murdoch, fox news network, etc.

• timholton

Not saying he said nothing. But think back to the convention speech, the race speech, so many others. Most of us have forgotten how much more he’s capable of than just getting up in front of the camera, as you put it. He once seemed like an authentic visionary. His pragmatism was always there as well, but he seemed to understand how we might transcend deal-making and find real solutions to the financial crisis, health care, energy and climate change. Republicans stand for nothing anymore but the bankrupt, selfish economics of Ayn Rand and Arthur Laffer. Obama’s capable of gripping, invigorating, inspiring oratory—of a real heartfelt sense of national purpose and possibility.

We’ve seen none of that since the election.

• chang

he gave us hope, and maybe we need to give him the hope he surely needs during this time when the small fraction of tea party/neo-libertarians dared to dangle america’s economy over the cliff.  when i talk to people so many people are informed and misled by the rhetoric in the media b/c they are tired and the only form of news they get is short soundbites from their local news stations.  the republicans have successfully fanned the fury and flames of distorting impressions.  there is a recall for republican reps. in wisconsin; koch brother tactics: require id for voting, changing districts lines before the vote, close the DMV in the poor districts–they are fixing the election.  the democrates should litigate but supreme court will vote against them b/c it is a corporate friendly court. 

i saw an inspiration speech when he spoke to georgetown students when he launched his blueprint for a green economy.

he needs our help to confront the tactics of the koch brothers at the local level so that we can change the congressional house of reps.  the worst strategy is to give up b/c there are republicans in these commentary who are posing as obama supporters/ democrates and shooting him down inadvertently, by saying i’m not voting for him or threatening that if he negotiates my medicare, my social security, etc., i’m looking for a third candidate party.  they will anything to confuse people.

• Chrisco

I am curious, are you getting paid for this?

• Sophia_q_chang

no chrisco, i’m a student and out of job.

• chang

i don’t think obama is perfect. i’m against staying in afghanistan because i’m against violence. i don’t believe in american occupation because it was bush who created al queda.  what i mean by this is that first we invaded iraq for oil and occupied it too long, which gave bid laden a reason to direct his jihad crusade against us.  i think we need to get out of afghanistan as soon as possible b/c then we wouldn’t be spending billions every week nation building–this is called imperialism. i would prefer ralph nader, but that would mean giving the presidency to the republicans, which is worst because they don’t care for folks like me. so let me reiterate, no, i’m not getting paid to write anything. i’m just weighing the pros and cons in the context of us losing the majority in the house of representatives, creating gridlock with thea fanatic tea party & neo libertarian who are loyal only to wealthy koch brothers/ALEC members, whose only intention is to defund/cripple every social service policy.  they also want to dismantle government and epa, (which is intended to serve and protect everyone) because they own corporations that are polluting the earth. if you let a republican in the house, they will turn this country into a third world country much like what hoover did, considering the emergence of steadfast crazy ideologues from the right.  the right wing christian fundamentalist want to also dismantle public education so they can brainwash the next generation, by changing american history and ideologies that god created america.  are these enough reasons why i would prefer obama than risk losing to asinine corruption.

• chang

chrisco, the fact that you’ve asked such a question leads me to believe that you’ve been paid to write as well as all you other folks who are planting a seed of doubt because this wouldn’t have crossed my mine until you mentioned it.  it wouldn’t be so far fetched considering what the koch brothers have done funding cato institute, heritage foundation…ALEC, and insidious politicians, e.g. tea party & neo-libertarians, creating an echo chamber. democrats and progressives don’t have the money and aren’t duplicitous people such as yourself.  you should be ashamed if you are being bought to do the things you are doing because you are supporting a evil empire, whose only desire is reap wealth on the backs of the disprivileged, and it only infuriates me that you have the audacity to be a pernicious parasite.

• GrandmaBalou

Why are we hearing only about DOMESTIC budget cuts? What cuts are being made to donations to other countries?
    Obama was severely chastised a couple of years ago for saying we need to bring jobs back to the US. He was called isolationist. He had a good point and should have been praised.

I can tell you there is a lot of anger out here that Americans are the last on the  totem pole while we give lots of money everywhere in the world.

• Patrick Wilkes

Jared Bernstein’s organization claims that the Fed’s duty to offset the effect of a recession is to “lower interest rates and increase the money supply” []. Of course, if none of that money flows into the bank accounts of common Americans, the only ones helped are those at the top of the monetary food chain. In this case Citigroup and Morgan Stanley head up the pack, followed by a bunch of other US/foreign banking interests. No American’s home will be saved from this $16 Trillion bailout, but more yachts will surely be purchased or (in the interest of austerity) redecorated.

It’s easy to complain about out of control spending but much easier to add to the deficit for projects in your own district.

• UnderTheBus

Democrats? Republicans? One pile of crap hurling insults at a mirror. 

Obama is the bankers’ Shih Tzu. 

This “deal” is a spectacular betrayal of the American people. 

Please start paying proper respect to people like Dennis Kucinich:

Please consider the efforts of people like Van Jones:

Listen to Amy Goodman:

• chang

i agree with you that the people you’ve mentioned should be recognized, but my biggest fear is that we need a candidate who can beat a republican in the next election.  if we chose someone too progressive we might as well give the election to terrorist klu klux clan neolibertarian/tea party/right wing christian fundamentalist.

• Chrisco

I supported Obama over Hillary but looking back you have to wonder how this story could have been different. One of his big advantages over her was his foreign policy pronouncements, where she was traditionally hawkish and he was a little different than what we normally get. Well he promptly announced her as Secretary of State to perhaps put a damper on that.

And a huge part of his governing policy is based on transcending partisan division. Well, it turns out that the moment he endorses a Republican initiative or idea or law, they then renounce it. They have been unremittingly hostile to any partnerships on anything significant, such as the debt deal (that Boehner danced with then renounced), global warming, health care reform, even Arms Control treaties with Russia.

So in other words, he bends over backwards to accomodate them as in the health care law, and does not get ONE vote and gets denounced by them. There is no reasonable partner on the other end, the Richard Lugars and Alan Simpsons – VERY CONSERVATIVE MEN – are no longer around.

Hillary would not have had the delusion that she could work with Republicans as she was so demonized and hated for 2 decades. That would have set up a completely different dynamic, one that probably would have been more reflective of a traditional Democratic agenda.

• chang

i’m not so sure about hillary because when she proposed the healthcare plan and she wouldn’t give up, she was bought to zip her lips if you didn’t watch michael moore’s fill on the healthcare documentary.

• Blue393

This mornings show had some interesting opinions about the left/progressive political community in this country.  However, what so many of these “Where is the left” type discussions often forget is that all too many of those in the true progressive faction of the left that have risen as leaders have been assassinated. The Cointelpro  program that J Edgar Hoover ran was the means behind several of those assassinations and I believe it is still operational in another guise today.  (Minneapolis 2008; Palestinian supporters arrested in Chicage  last October).
    Joe Liesner

• chang

not sure what your comment is intend to mean: most people in right are klu klux clan with rifles and a lot of hate in their blood.  the left people is about love and compassion for people who are experiencing systemic socioeconomics injustices and the right is about inequality, hate, and slavery.

• Little Lo

I just want to say something regarding taxes and the Republicans phobia against increases. Name one thing in the world where the cost has remained the same as it did 10 years ago, 5 years ago, last year? Gas has gone up, food and clothing prices have increased, houses — the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up. Why is it that the GOP think taxes should not? I know Norquist wants to shrink the Gov’t and believes more money in the hands of Gov’t is like giving money to a heroin addict, but this is insane because the price of things never stays the same. Do you think you could build the GG bridge today for 37 million? Try about 1.2 billion!

• Bill_Woods

And if the size of the economy goes up 20% over the next 10 years, one would reasonably expect tax revenues to go up about 20% also. No need to raise tax *rates*.

• Socorro Maria Pelayo

I deeply regret having supported President Obama’s candidacy for President. I and so many Americans who supported and voted for him were fooled by his eloquent speeches: the speech of 2004 to the Democratic Convention, and the way he handled himself during the 2008 debates. We should have paid attention to his experience! Like the old saying goes, “fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.” Because of his past actions extending tax benefits to the rich, failure to close Guantanamo, his failure to end two wars and his abject neglect to create jobs for the millions and millions of unemployed Americans like myself, I will not vote for him or anyone else in 2012. I am through with politics, thank you!
    President Obama is wrong in stressing that this debt and deficit crisis has to be solved with bipartisan support. Did the tea party people work on his behalf and vote for him? Did the right wing, the Koch brothers, and the repulsicans work for and vote for him? Did the birthers work and support his candidacy? Absolutely not! African Americans, the young people, Latinos, and millions of middle class Americans like me were on his side throughout every step in his candidacy. We invested so much hope and faith in him. We believed in change  because we believed he was going to provide the leadership that most Americans had been craving for that had been lacking under the Bush administration. I believed in him and was confident that, under no circumstances, would he give the store away or buckle under repulsican attacks.  But never again! I will not be fooled again by a silver-tongued, eloquent, smooth talker. I have learned my lesson. 
    Of late, his actions remind me of another politician, Neville Chamberlain of Great Britain, the great appeaser, who was more interested in being fair to Germany after the Treaty of Versailles. He believed that caving in and appeasing a bully like Hitler would spare Europe from going to war. We all know that how that ended.
    I am saddened and disappointed that as the first African American president, his actions may have made it virtually impossible for any other African American to be taken seriously as a Democratic presidential candidate. Being the first in any endeavor carries enormous responsibilities and obligations: A person is always in the limelight with the eyes and ears of the world following you and watching every move you make, questioning your decisions, criticizing your beliefs and actions, and in his case, doubting his American citizenship. Like it not, people will measure other African American candidates by Obama’s presidency.

The Dems need a streetfighter president working for them, a president who knows what is truly at stake for middle class and poor Americans who have lost their homes, their jobs, and wonder if our beautiful country will be facing another great depression. This country longs for a president who, even though he or she may be intimidated by cowards and fools like tea partiers, does not give into their childish demands. Barack Obama is not that president.

• chang

socorro, what was your other option, hillary? sometimes, i wonder about people who write comments like yours.  you’re giving the republicans the election in 2012 based on the implications of your comment.

• Socorro Maria Pelayo

Sir, I’m not giving the repulsicans anything Obama has not already conceded to them. As to Hilary, yes but even more important would have been to vote for Kucinich. Oh, if we could only go back in time! With all of  Pres. Obama’s skills in elocution does not now or can ever make up for his lack of understanding of the struggles and challenges that working  middle class  Americans face each and every day. Pres. Obama’s flowery words don’t cut it but his lack of inaction in this fight certainly do with me.

As I said in my first comment, Pres. Obama does not have  streetfighter instincts to stand up and confront the repulsican tea partiers. If he did have them, I would not have posted my initial comments or  be replying to your statement. 

• chang

socorro, it is quite admiral for you to pick someone like kucinich, and i like him a lot as well. if you haven’t seen this video below of the what kind of ruthless tactics that these tea party members will execute to take america down if they don’t get their way, you’d have more compassion for obama. my only concern is how likely is kucinich be liked by swing voters and some centralist republicans in the election 2012–this is what i mean by giving the presidency away to the republicans.  obama is a centralist, and it makes sense actually to be the fulcrum between left and right.  getting to far to the left is supporting programs that don’t mobilize and empower those who are capable of climbing the socioeconomic ladder, and what i’m saying is that we also need to hold people who just feed off the system although there isn’t a whole lot that these days for disprivileged individuals to survive on thanks to the republicans, who have been defunding by capping every social service program out there. and we can’t go so far to the right because the tea party (i.e. koch brothers) will syphon every drop of blood and breath of air that is left in people in the middle and lower class.  here’s the video of what they’ll do to stay in power, and i don’t think it is a easy job reigning in the extreme left and the extreme right–a balance appropriate is necessary so that everyone gets a piece of the pie. 

i don’t know if you have been doing anything except posting your thoughts on commentaries, but i would suggest that you get out there and stand up for what you believe in the streets and look into forums that are supporting your views–many of which are mobilizing the very same sentiments you are expressing.  if i could be guaranteed that kucinich can convince red states as obama has, he doesn’t stand a chance at winning the 2012 election, and i would hate to lose another seat to a republican in the house of representatives. i’m only saying this because i’ve participating in meetings, protests, and boycotting goods and services that support ideologues that koch brothers are supporting.  i would rather starve to death than sell my soul to the devil by letting a republican into the presidency–i’m not saying that you would but there are people posting here who are actually republicans casting doubt in our minds that we should support obama because he’s the only one person who can beat them at the polls.  i’d also pay attention to their tactics come 2012 in the red states and where the governs are republicans as they did with florida when al gore was running–this really should be outlawed what their doing to fix the election and democrats and progressives better be prepared for this to happen in their states.

• chang

socorro, you should be mad at the republicans because what you are doing and what the republicans’ intention is to direct your anger and confuse you in your observation about obama’s inaction.  have you not seen him get in front of the cameras many times to ask citizens of the united states to reign in the republicans in the house of rep. and senate–telling them to support closing loopholes or cutting taxes.  he can not do this alone. he is asking us to march in the streets, protest in front of koch brother’s businesses to inform people so they aren’t so blind sighted by the tactics that koch brothers are pulling out in their red hand book. you have glen beck on the radio waves spreading illogical conclusion…his most recent one is how these youth labor camps are like the nazis when the person who attacked them was a right wing fanatic christian–this is their brainwashing they are doing to activate fears and hatred in people to do their dirty job.

• Socorro Maria Pelayo

Chang: In response to my comment, I should have written Pres. Obama’s flowery words don’t cut it but his inaction in this fight certainly does with me. Actions speak louder than words.

• Socorro Maria Pelayo

080411 Corrected response to Chang:

I miswrote this sentence: Pres. Obama’s flowery words don’t cut it but his lack of inaction in this fight certainly do with me.I should have written his inaction in this fight certainly does with me. 

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor