The shooting of 19-year-old Kenneth Harding by police on Saturday afternoon in San Francisco’s Bayview district provoked outrage in the community. After running from officers conducting a Muni fare inspection, Harding reportedly fired at the officers who, in return, shot and killed him. But the details of the case are still murky.

Marie Harrison, community outreach organizer in Bayview
Jaxon Van Derbeken, reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle
Sharon Ferrigno, chief of community relations for the San Francisco Police Department

Why is Ms. Harrison criticizing Police for not releasing information on the platform eg. “announcing out of the clear blue sky that he was wanted in Seattle”?  The Police don’t notify everybody about their investigations, especially on the platform.  To think otherwise is simply unreasonable.

It seems Ms. Harrison and some members of the “community” will never agree with Police and will always look to find racism, whether it’s there or not.

Why can’t an investigation of the facts be done before putting all the fault on the Police, before calling the situation “murky”, and before automatically defending a young man who was wanted for prostituting a girl because he’s a young man of color?

In Ms. Harrison’s mind, what does being a young man of color excuse?
    The facts?  Prostitution?

• neutral_corner

Ms. Harrison’s comments implied that the police detained Harding BECAUSE of the murder investigation in Seattle, or because of his criminal record of attempted child prostitution – I don’t know if she made this implication because she’s irretrievably stupid or pathetically un-Machiavellian, but I think that most of non-Bayview San Francisco sees her for the insidious, craven carnival barker that she is. 

• Citizen

I’ll have to re-listen to the show, but I thought her point was that they had only come up with the “cause” over 24 hours after the incident.

Further, I find your name-calling of that guest to be totally unacceptable, and I’m surprised it fits the policy for posting.

If you disagree with her, that’s fine, but you actually sound worse than her because of your insulting tone.

Lastly, I wonder if you’ve even read Machiavelli, or if you just like to throw in the reference.

The point is that just because the Police released the reason for the arrest 24 hours later, doesn’t mean they didn’t have a reason before.  It only means they released the info later.  Again, not everything is done instantly and doing otherwise does not prove Police guilt.  

They have to have time to conduct an investigation and release information.  Ms. Harrison and her supporters are setting up straw men to criticize.  They are more interested in yelling racism and defending criminals than in waiting for the facts to emerge to determine if there are legitimate reasons for criticism or not…

• Citizen

Legitimate reasons for criticism?

I would respectfully suggest that a department wherein police “misconduct” resulted in the loss of 120 cases from the DA’s office in the past year is not being criticized enough.

I would respectfully suggest that a police department currently under investigation by the FBI is not being criticized enough.

In FACT, it is the lack of criticism of the department that has encouraged the type of misconduct that LED to the current FBI investigation of SFPD.

SFPD is the highest paid PD in the NATION, and it remains the least accountable. Average salary = $130k. Rogue cop responsible for FBI investigation earned $223,170.00 last year. That’s more than a family practice physician makes.

Some police doing wrong doesn’t mean all police automatically always do wrong.  Let the facts speak for themselves, and prove whether they are wrong or right.  If you’re not willing to let facts point you in the right direction, then you are biased.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and neither do two biases.

• Citizen

The DA has had to toss 120 cases THIS YEAR due to police “misconduct”, and the FBI had to take over a botched internal investigation.

Most officers are great, but the department itself is dysfunctional.

SFPD is the HIGHEST PAID of any PD in the NATION, and the least accountable, with a level of secrecy surrounding police misconduct (actually often criminal) that is usually associated with communist dictatorships.

Wake up to the effects of the 2006 Copley Press decision.

• DMoore

There has been several shooting in the Bayview within the pass two weeks, one murder (40 shots fired)  and the other injuried (in front of children) and no one in the Bayview community is willing to identify the shooters. However, when the cops shoot someone there is numerous witnesses. There is horrorable problem here.

• Bayview citizen

“Due to the cooperation of the community, independent witnesses, and the
      incredible teamwork of the Bayview officers and the gang task force, we
      recovered the weapon at 10:30 last night,” SFPD Chief Greg Suhr told KTVU
      during an AIDS walk in Golden Gate Park. “God bless the Bayview
      community members who had the courage to come forward and pretty much
      tell us the entire story.”

• Citizen

Suhr’s a good guy. I respect him, even if I don’t always agree with his decisions.

I’m optimistic about his ability to clean up SFPD. He’s got a big task ahead of him, but if anyone could clean up SFPD, it’s probably him.

I’m also impressed by his ability to work with the Bayview community to get things right for all parties. It can’t be easy.

SFPD has had unusually high turnover with police chiefs, let’s hope this is one who works, and stays.

• neutral_corner

Allowing Marie Harrison on this show was an embarrassment. I’ve never heard an individual so divorced from the relevant facts of the case hold herself forth as an authority on a situation before. Doesn’t know how MUNI fare inspections work? Thought Harding was declared dead at the scene? 

• Citizen

Why is the average salary for an SFPD officer THREE TIMES the salary for a first-year NYC beat cop slapping his feet against the brutally hot pavement of the Bronx? Try policing the Puerto Rican Day Parade on Manhattan’s 5th Avenue in 112 degree heat with 80% humidity. THAT’s more than an honest day’s work.

For all that money, are SFPD officers more accountable than NYPD?

If so, then please explain why the FBI had to take over Gascon’s botched investigation of SFPD?

• squeed

Do you really want your police officers to be paid *less*? From my experience (having lived in both places), SFPD are about 10x nicer than NYPD. Of course, I’m not a black male; but are you really arguing that the RNC disaster and those wanton Critical Mass arrests have any sort of analogue in the SFPD?  The SFPD are about the chillest big-city police force in the world. Remember when the Castro was closed for an impromptu street party with no permit when Prop 8 was overturned? That would never, ever, ever fly in NYC.

• Citizen

That’s interesting. My experience is entirely the opposite.

Can you tell me whether NYPD is currently being investigated by the FBI?

If not, which department is more accountable?

And why are SFPD officers so much less accountable given their high salaries?

As for “chill” as an adjective… I think if you look at the NYPD workload v. SFPD, there’s probably a reason things seem more “chill” here, however, when comparing the two, it makes more sense to stick with QUANTIFIABLE data and hard facts.

And you’re dead wrong on the Castro comparison, as anyone who watched the street parties in NY after they won gay marriage last month.

• outraged community member

I suppose, the community is largely tired of the “outraged community organizers”; not many responses here. It is becoming a sad irony and some kind of malignant practice. Every time a black guy is shot by the police there is a carnival around that. Some kind of a “Oscar Grant’s uncle” is posing to the cameras on a dozen of channels.

“The young man was not doing anything wrong” … Yes, right, he was just running around beyond the state border where he was on parole after serving for pimping a 14-year old and while being a part of a murder investigation. He just fired at the police when trying to get away. How is that wrong, really? Does not he look like an innocent victim to you who was just on a quest doing a soul-search that was brutally interrupted by the deranged police? Come on, let us call things their names, that is OK, don’t be shy.

The guest lady sounded tired and not really believing in the points she was trying to make. It was not about getting to the bottom of it; it was about outraging the public and PUTTING PRESSURE ON THE INVESTIGATION.

The practice of “public outrage” is dangerous or at least a two-ended sword. Yes, we do need to know what the law enforcement protocol is. On the other hand, it can and will start doing all of us a BAD FAVOR sooner or later. Next time when the police is chasing someone who just assaulted you or your loved one they will start second-guessing themselves “Can I really shoot if I see a weapon? What if they suspend and investigate me? What if I loose my job? Maybe I should better let him go this time?”

Do not tell me that all that the outrage organizers are trying to do is to get a fair treatment. They want the police stop “bothering” them. Like that man said: “The police is BOTHERING everybody here in Bayview”. OK? I for one do not mind to be bothered if they check my ticket or ID if that helps them to get a bad guy. I have nothing to hide. And this time they DID get a bad guy. Had he be cooperative, he would be alive now. But he obviously had something to hide.

Do not resist the cops if they try to talk to you. That is the law, guys. That is the protocol.

• Citizen

You make some fair points, however, you seem to view the situation without at least acknowledging that the current FBI investigation of SFPD misconduct indicates a high level of SFPD dysfunction and a low level of SFPD accountability.
      And that’s part of the problem.
      The woman you refer to may not be terribly articulate, but she has good reason to skeptical about SFPD. So does every taxpayer who funds the epic salaries SFPD has extorted from the city.

• Buckb

The SFPD at Bayview Station were asked by a new 3rd Street Merchants Association to step up their presence on 3rd Street.  They were also asked by numerous neighborhood folks to protect passengers getting off of MUNI Metro, because there have been numerous muggings of passengers.  They had also been requested to do fare checks on MUNI, which IS THE REASON THEY SPOKE WITH THE YPUNG MAN WHO GOT SHOT.  THEY CHECKED FOR HIS FARE; HE BOLTED AND RAN; AND IT SOUNDS LIKE HE FIRED BACK AT THEM OVER HIS SHOULDER.  They weren’t looking for him for any Seattle-related reason, to the best of my knowledge.  It has also been alleged that someone in the crowd grabbed the young man’s gun, and took off with it.  SFPD has stated that they only recovered the gun as the result of a community tip.

• GuestX

Look Citizen….this reference to the PAST, UNRELATED cases of misconduct and this FBI investigation have no bearing on this specific incident. People like this guy, who shoot at the police instead of simply showing the MUNI ticket when legally asked to do so, are the ones engaging in misconduct, not the officers who are trying to stop a deadly threat. Sure, there is police misconduct, but don’t go ASSUMING (because you know what that makes you if you do) that this incident falls into that category. Outraged community member (original poster of this thread) is correct when pointing out that this constant outrage at justified police shootings is going to hinder community safety. I’d like to see some thug start shooting in your direction while police stand by and think twice about acting because they don’t want to be dragged into a “misconduct” investigation due to your surrounding community outrage. These people outraged at this shooting keep forgetting a real important fact…this guy CHOSE to shoot first. Is that your normal reaction when someone asks to see your MUNI ticket? Not mine, and I have been asked to see my ticket on the many different buses and trains I’ve taken in my life. I show my ticket and guess what, I lived to tell about it. It’s a pretty simple concept.

• victoria_sf

Wow, Sharon Ferrigno of the SFPD really didn’t answer any questions, or even seem to know about the case! She didn’t address the concern expressed that young men are targeted, or a feeling of abuse by police in general. Frighteningly bureaucratic.

Well, what about the concern of low life thugs taking over certain areas of the city, putting fear into law abiding citizens who are just trying to walk down the street? I’d rather feel protected and offend young men who feel “targeted” than have the police drive around with blinders on so they don’t have to actually deal with cleaning up crime because that would be considered “targeting”. People like you who constantly need the police to answer to why they do their jobs are the ones who are the bureaucrats. Too many whiners who want to justify the scum that run around shooting at people. Instead of holding the police department’s feet to the fire, why don’t you save that for the criminals who are making the community unsafe? 

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor