Military veteran turned anti-war activist S. Brian Willson’s new book “Blood on the Tracks” details, in part, how he lost his legs protesting arms shipments to Central America. Willson joins us to discuss the book.

Brian Willson, activist for Veterans Peace Action Team and author of "Blood on the Tracks: The Life and Times of S. Brian Willson"

• remy

i’ve also heard that most americans are against the maintaining corporate tax loopholes and breaks for the 1% wealthiest citizens. unfortunately, most people are also unaware that the united states of america has long since become the united  states of corporations.  our government for the most part is bossed around by their money.

nevertheless, i’m completely disgusted by the posturing republicans and am looking forward to a day when the sleeping giant wakes up from this media-induced coma.  that day, unfortunately, may never come without revolutionary tactics.

• remy

meant to post this in the first hour topic…sorry!

• Sam

Michael Krasny mentioned the three wars in Africa and Asia earlier, but he didn’t mention the bloodiest Imperial effort by the United States today-the drug war in Mexico. There is a large protest movement in Mexico itself against the war on drugs, and the “No More Blood” campaign has gained a lot of traction there. But the US is both the main market for drugs and weapons supplier for the repressive Calderon government. Tens of thousands have died, and most murders never go investigated. The military and police act with impunity and are often no less brutal and bloody than the cartels. Where is the American protest movement against that war? There is a desperate need to take a stand against this modern bloodbath which our government, including the Obama administration, has involved itself in.

Is there also a parallel to the anti-communist wars during the 70s and 80s to the protests there?

• Chrisco

Great segment – I really appreciated hearing Brian Wilson’s perspective and ideas.

• margaret

As a liberal minded activist I relate to Brian Wilson’s statements/philosophies, and as a Physical Therapist I applaud his physical tenacity .
     Re his desire for Citizens of the US to demonstrate and protest I would ask “how do we get to have our voices heard?”  I joined in the protest march of 2002 in NYC against going to war in Iraq & again in Wash. D.C. 2007 (?) and despite what looked to me like close to 1/2 million people arriving by bus from all over the country for the NYC march, the gov’t controlled media account of these events was suppressive enough  to effectively diminish the impact of our  protest.
     I relate what happened at Kent State in the 70’s and what happened to Brian in 1987 to the lack of criminal accountability in dictatorial countries such as that of Libya, Syria, etc.
     The media prints messages that promote devision in our country rather than community of purpose; messages of terrorism to promote fear, etc. They suppress the voices of those who question how our country is being run and give voice only to those who agree with the opinion of the right wing media moguls i.e.Rupert Murdoch
    The people who are “in the Castle” of the halls of Gov’t have their military as well as their media to effectively keep us the “peasants” adequately suppressed.

• Here is an activist who truly has connected the dots between our way of life and the wars it promotes.  I will make arguments against two of his prejudices though… 1) personal electronics: I do not own a car, but I have 2 iPods and am pretty “plugged in.” But I say that an iPod and a cell phone are a less damaging than an automobile. When you’re waiting for the bus and taking the bus, they are an effective way to catch up on KQED podcasts. And cell phones are helping out even the most impoverished people of the planet connect to one another. These can be tools for a better society. 2) anarchists: unfortunately, San Francisco and other cities have too many youth who just want an excuse to be violent. Though they smash windows and commit other acts in the name of anarchy, they only worship the “chaos” meaning of the word and don’t even seem to know about the “self responsibility” part of the philosophy. Many of them are hypocrites and simply unhappy, violent people. They give anarchy a bad name.

• utera

Bit disturbing how extreme this guy is.  Interesting how selective his “blowback”principle is, I’m sure every woman that has been beaten by her husband didn’t know when to shut their mouths right? I’m sure the jews did something to deserve the holocaust right?   Funny he only applies this blind acceptance of blame when it comes to the west.

Of course he further discredits himself in the same way with israel, since israel is western, it must be bad.  Since the jews are being attacked, they must have done something to deserve it.  Double standards?  This guy talks about his concern for civilians yet he falls in line with palestinians whos leadership condone direct attacks on civilians as legitimate in war, verified both through their words and deeds.  

So frankly this is one of those guys you really don’t want in your movement, when you have friends like this, who needs enemies?

• Mason

Am I hearing things incorrectly or did I hear him quote the Gaia theory?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor