Bay Area-based Netflix Inc. this week announced price increases of up to 60 percent for members who want to both stream movies and get DVDs in the mail. Comments from mostly angry subscribers have flooded social media sites ever since. How will the announcement influence consumers and the industry?

Farhad Manjoo, technology columnist for
Michael Olson, senior research analyst with Piper Jaffray and author of numerous industry reports, including "Internet Video: Field of Dreams or Nightmare on Elm Street"
Sam Grobart, personal technology editor for The New York Times

• Butler

I’ve never subscribed to Netflix. My library has $2 rentals and they buy requested DVDs. But this price hike will only further stymie Netflix’s efforts at getting my business.

• srcarruth

$16 is still a pretty good price for the amount of use my family makes of Netflix.  The price increases are even less (percentage-wise) on the bigger packages.

• Neal

I don’t mind paying for unlimited streaming if Netflix can become a centralized hub for what I want to watch.  

If Netflix can provide a proper stream-only service, that does not include all the copyright warnings and wastes of time, then they can have the whole market. 

Not only that, they will grab plenty of illegal downloaders because they have (almost) achieved what illegal downloading does: it’s easier than all other options.

So $16 is not bad at all.

• Bob

We have decided to accept the price increase. We watch DVDs as well as a lot of streaming content. We will consider this increase to be a good deal if Netflix uses the additional revenue to upgrade its streaming content.

The downside for Netflix is that the price increase makes alternatives such as Hulu+ and Vudu more attractive. We will take another look at them a couple months down  the road and see if Netflix is still the best service for us. This is a direct result of the Netflix price increase.

San Francisco

• William

I have noticed that the number and quality of titles that are available for streaming has increased in the past year, and I’m sure that the licensing to get those titles is expensive. Considering that not too long ago we used to pay $4.50 per DVD for a one week rental, the pricing seems fair to me. Remember how much we used to pay in late fees?

I don’t understand why people think they should get their media, which costs a lot of money to make, should be free to them.

• Meg

We currently have the unlimited streaming with 2-at-a-time DVDs plan. After the hike, we’ll be switching to a 1-at-a-time DVD plan with unlimited streaming – so our total cost will actually be less than it is now. We use streaming almost every day, and watch DVDs less often, so this makes the most sense for us.

• Tbenson99

Quite disappointed with the choices in the streaming service… For instance . Only one of LOTR is available… Why

• Josh

I remember paying $3 per DVD at my local video rental store. Netflix is a miracle. It’s almost free considering how many videos I watch a week on Netflix.

• Srfairclough

if Netflix wants to move people to streaming, they should make their entire catalog available online, but as it stands now the DVD selection if FAR superior to the online content.

• Frank

They’d love to make their entire catalog available for streaming, but they can’t because the movie studios won’t let them.

• elisabeth

I would much rather stream content than wait for dvd’s but even though they claim to have 10’s of thousands of streamable movies and tv shows, most of what I want to watch is not available to stream, so I’m kind of stuck. Are they planning on getting everything on the stream menu?

• Nishant

I think the +$2 that people had on their subscription for DVDs, but hardly used it noticed it on their credit card, will now go away. Clearly instant online streaming is the way to go (it’s not the future by any means –> it’s already the present)…

• Julie

I’ve had the streaming service for a while & the quality is terrible when streaming through my TiVo.  Yes, I pay $8/month, but its not worth the service.
    The video cant’ stream for more than a couple of minutes before “buffering.”  its very frustrating – hope Netflix can get it fixed.
    For movies, Redbox is a better option.

• xc ❄

The price, even with the increase is worth it.

However, if they want people to move over to streaming they have to make the selection better.

People need to know though, the studios are going to gouge Netflix on those licensing fees for streaming.

• Shutter_se7en

We’ve had Netflix for years and have tried using streaming. The value just isn’t there for streaming. The movie selection is horrible and outdated. We’re dropping the service.

• Frank

Why not just use the DVD component for the lower price?

• Paulsha911

That’s exactly the ironic thing. Since the streaming is not good enough yet, the new pricing strategy will drive people BACK to DVD only. And that is the opposite of what Netflix says that want to achieve.

• Leslie R

I can’t believe that people thought Netflix was going to provide BOTH unlimited DVD’s and streaming for the same price as DVD’s alone.  Grow up, people.  The concept that “information wants to be free” is not the same as “everyone is going to give you whatever you want for free.  It’s a business.  It’s been a good product IMHO, and as long as I can get what I want (WITH closed captioning over HDMI, please!!!  Those BBC accents can be tricky to follow), I’ll pay the appropriate price.  Leslie, San Bruno

• You are missing the fact that a large number of films are not available in streaming form.  To switch over to streaming-only is to lose out on many of the most interesting films.

• Skip Emerson

I’ve gone back to Blockbuster. Their availability is much better and pricing plan much better.  Netflix is not a customer friendly company. The streaming selection is lousey and downloads unpredictable. Doubling the price for their bad selection is ridiculous and charging extra for Blu-ray. Blockbuster is a better, customer friendly company.

• Scott Winkler

If Netflix wants to push people toward streaming, they’re making a big mistake with me. The title selection on streaming is not good at all and the video quality is often poor. Also, streaming doesn’t provide subtitle selection, aspect ratio selection, or special features available on DVD. This price hike has pushed me out of streaming which I have not been happy with for a while. I plan to switch to 3 DVD out for 15.99 rather than accept a price of 15.98 for a poor selection of bad quality video streaming plus only 1DVD at-a-time.

BAD move, Netflix!

• Ginny Bahr

I will drop netflix and use my Cable ondemand as it offers a lot more movies of interest to me at no additional charge. I’m not the person to watch something mediocre simply for the ease of streaming. I use netflix more for television series that I can only view on DVD.

• Noelle

Streaming films don’t have subtitles or special features.
    Netflix does not care about the deaf or hard-of-hearing, or those who like to have subtitles to better understand what is going on.

San Jose

• Freedomh

I am hard of hearing and captions are not available on streaming except for foreign films.  So I watch foreign films on streaming and English languge films on DVD.  Also, many DVD’s have extras that are not available on streaming movies.

• Scott Winkler

The neglect of the needs of the hearing impaired is truly appalling.  How does Netflix get away with this? Haven’t they ever heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act?

• Abby in Contra Costa

The ADA does not cover streaming.

• Colin

I’ve been a netflix member since 2006 and can honestly say that it has improved SO MUCH as a service.   Even with the new pricing scheme, it still represents a TREMENDOUS value and is so much cheaper and BETTER than cable.  

• JackFry

It’s simply not going to be in my interest to stay with Netflix. I have streaming but I’m in a remote location that lacks fiber optics, so the streaming quality isn’t that great. But also, the quality of film choices on streaming are not equal to the DVDs that are available  (i.e. I can’t get the 3rd season of True Blood, or something like the latest movie release on streaming systems) Furthermore, Netflix takes weeks to release something that can be obtained  at a local video store much earlier. This is not a good move but does open up  opportunity for other types of competition to offer services of much higher  caliber. Are you listening Blockbuster?

• susan

Netflix just raised its prices a dollar or two a few months ago…  I am someone who doesnt have a tv and uses my local (lost weekend) video store for movies.  I have a netflix account because it was so cheep it worked for streaming trashy tv and such.  Now, it just wont be worth it to me considering how much of the “tv” I want to watch is available other places on internet.  I will be unsubscribing.

• steven m

What about QUALITY??  No one is asking about the reduction in audio and video quality when streamed.  Improve that, and I will pay more.

• Colin

The streaming is very high quality, actually, and in most cases, looks better than DVD but not as good as Blu-ray.

• Scott Winkler

I disagree. The blacks are pixelated, the motion is often jerky, and the movies are often entered onto the website in the wrong aspect ratio or with missing subtitles. I have an excellent internet connection, too. Netflix streaming is bad.

• Paulsha911

The whole problem is that Netflix is getting customers to pay for their FUTURE improvement of the streaming service.  Their streaming service currently has poor selection and I have to get current feature movies via DVD.

The other problem is that there are many other alternatives. I will be going with Amazon Prime for streaming, and DVD from Redbox.

• Colin

Hardly.  In the last year, they have added a ridiculous amount of new streaming content, and very good shows with high quality picture.

• Andrew Moore

What about the environmental aspect. Not only are DVDs a very inefficient way of moving ones and zeros around, it is a petroleum product that eventually will end up in a land fill or in the great Pacific gyre… 

• bradbradbrad

There is a large environmental impact of running all those streaming servers and pushing bits around the internet as well. When you have done some research on both sides, let me know.

• $7053358

With all the talk of Hulu, I just wanted to point out that they are partly owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp.

• Amy

I like Netflix but it does seem like now that they’ve demolished much of the retail competition they are jacking up the prices.

Most movies we have streamed through Netfix have been very low quality, very grainy and pixelized. Hopefully their picture quality improve.

• bradbradbrad

When I first signed up for Netflix long, long ago, I paid about $18/month for 3 DVDs. Then they added streaming, so I was paying $18/month for 3 DVDs + streaming.
    Then they raised the price, so I dropped my service and paid about $18/month for 2 DVDs + streaming.
    Now they’re raising the price so I will be paying about $18/month for 1 DVD + streaming.

I thought technology was supposed to get cheaper as time went on? I seem to be paying the same for less, and less, and less service. I was with you for a lot of years, but I recognize a pattern when I see it.

• Alison

I think that what the push towards streaming ignores is the population who cannot get streamed movie content i.e., rural areas who have to rely on either satellite or dial-up Internet connection, neither of which support streaming. DVDs by mail are our only option for movie choices, since we also don’t have television.

• Linda Gruber

My monthly costs went down!  Now I will stream all my videos and not deal with DVDs.  It is the rising cost of my cable provider that I would like to replace….I watch very few of the channels and am debating other options.

• joan castle

For those of us who love movies on the big screen, it’s disappointing enough to watch one on a TV screen and I can’t imagine watching a movie on a computer.  So even if the streaming choices were as good as DVDs, why would anyone want to watch a film huddled around a computer monitor or an iPhone?

• Sally

The Netflix price increase is a rip off because for those of us who would love to just have streaming can’t because of the poor selection of streaming available and the fact that almost all the current movies are on DVD only. This is the point some of your guests seem to miss.  If you go tot he Netflix
    Forum this is what subscribers are complaining about.

Sally Smith

• Brandon Wagner

The first caller (Joe) was correct — it is still a good value. We are long time subscribers and we rely on Netflix streaming heavily for entertainment (we have no cable). While the selection is not perfect, if this is what it takes to have them expand the selection, then so be it. We still watch 3 or 4 DVDs a month on the top of the streaming. Compare that to going to the movies just once in a month and the value is clear.

I think the problem everybody is having is with this announcement is the timeline and the take-it-or-too-bad attitude of it. I think a better approach for them to take would have been to say 3 or 6 months in advance that this was coming down the pike so folks would not have been so outraged.

• Hikingbear6

I’m on a very limited budget. I don’t have a computer at home, nor any of the other devices to stream.  It upsets me that I have to pay more just to get dvds in the mail.  It feels like a vindictive move for those who only have the capacity to watch the dvds.

• bradbradbrad

Also, bad timing. You stop streaming every title from a major studio and then raise the price? Talk about a slap in the face.

• Sheila_m

As a middle school history teacher I have appreciated the large variety of educational programs available on DVD from Netflix. I could really care less about the latest movie releases when I can pick up programs from PBS or the History Channel, preview them, and decide whether they will be a good fit for the classroom. I’m concerned that this reliance on streaming that I cannot depend on at school might eventually reduce my choices

• David Clausen

Isn’t part of this this increase driven by licensing costs from content owners?

• $7053358

Hikingbear6: But, you would be paying less by the new plans if you are DVD-only.  If you don’t need streaming, you would pay $7.99/month for the lowest DVD-only plan.

• Ramona

Still a good value.  No complaints from a user from start up.  I used to spend a lot more for late fees and gas to return late dvds. Yeah the online selection is weak sometimes you have to watch out for the new movies and their online streaming end date. 
    The more you consume, the more you pay.  Let’s get over it and move on reducing plastic waste stream and improving mass transit! 😉

• Dipper

For me, as for many rural residents, lack of availability of high speed internet precludes streaming, and I am about an hour from the nearest DVD rentals…. I rely on those DVDs…

• Anonymous-coward

Then you’ll be getting a price decrease for DVDs only! 🙂

• Jennifer

We currently subscribe to Netflix for DVD and streaming. We sometimes use the streaming on a lark, but it does not have the selection that we can get with the DVD service by any means (especially for foreign films or older films). The other problem we have found with the streaming is that even though we are in Oakland, CA and have Comcast, there is often buffering, so the movie quality is better with DVD as well. Frankly, as we are already amazon prime customers, we’ll likely drop the streaming plan with Netflix and move to the DVD only plan. Why would we want to pay for the streaming only when the quality and selection are worse?

• carlboygenius / san francisco

The San Francisco Public Library has a massive circulating DVD collection which you can check-out for FREE. • I think this NetFlix price hike gives many users an opportunity to re-examine their media consumption habits.

• Anonymous-coward

I did the library thing for a while and started to get very annoyed at all the discs that have scratches, causing skipping, and resulting in many movies not being 100% fully viewable.  I ended up missing out on key moments in films, or having to skip whole minutes of films just to get around the scratches.  This happened 65% of the time.  Otherwise, agree, libraries are excellent sources of DVDs and great values (FREE!)

• With streaming you do not get the functions or bonuses you get on DVDs.  No subtitles, no commentary, no easy moving back and forth, no chapters.

• Tony

Eventually the streaming library will grow. The problem I have with streaming is one of quality.  I’ve spent thousands of dollars on an HD TV, BlueRay player etc because I want the quality and fidelity these devices provide. Until the streaming  bandwidth is increased to provide the video quality of Blueray, Im sticking to disks.

• $7053358

Carl Boygenius: Good point.  Santa Clara County Library also has a great selection of DVDs, including many foreign films, and also for free.  You get them for a week and can renew if no one else has requested them.

• Jillcenter

Like a lot of folks, I can only stream via my desk top computer, not my television.  I have no desire to watch movies at my desk.  So, the streaming is an occasional diversion, but not the way I will be watching flicks, or gorging on disks of series I missed, like The Wire. 

Netflix may have plans for my business, but I have other plans for life. 

• Abby in Contra Costa

Buy a Roku.  It is really inexpensive and easy to stream to your tv.

• Frank

Yes.  I have a Roku and it is great.  Boxee is another choice.

• Whitepuff

I will drop the streaming part since I seldom use it. Most of the movies/shows I want to see are not available on streaming. The few streaming movies I’ve watched, I found it’s not as easy to rewind/FF and I can’t turn on subtitles or closed captions if needed.  Also it only takes 1 or 2 days to receive the DVD.

• Florent Robineau

The main issue here is a PR failure; announcing a price hike would not have been an issue IF it had been accompanied with some improvements, like increasing the number of titles available on streaming (and I’m talking about real movies here, not some unknown Z-titles), or at least a plausible explanation. But providing the exact same service for a 60% price increase is bound to infuriate customers.

An additional $6/month translates to $72 a year, on an ongoing basis – that’s hardly negligible. If every service with an ongoing fee (Pandora, newspaper subscription, …) increased by their fee by 60%, this would be very substantial.

Finally, to the commenter talking about Amazon Prime: the difference is that with Prime, you have the video available for you to play at any time. With Netflix, your ability to replay a title is contingent to your subscription to the service (not mentioning titles that are available only for a limited time on streaming on Netflix, or that are removed from their library, c.f Sony/Star).

• Anonymous-coward

Actually, also with Prime, if you stop paying the annual fee, you lose the video, too.  Amazon is subject to the same sorts of Hollywood contract limitations that anybody else is, and so titles can disappear from them at any time, in theory, as others.

• JacquieProctor

A-list movies are only available from Netflix on dvds and new releases
    are released later with a long waiting list to get them. Now that they
    have a monopoly like Comcast they are charging more for a diluted
    service in order to fund expansion into Latin America etc. Streaming
    only has B-list choices. Streaming requires an additional player and paying more
    for high speed internet. To choose streaming only means not seeing the
    most popular movies and tv shows.  I reduced my cable subscription to basic to pay for netflix. Now I will be looking how to reduce/replace my netflix subscription with something better.

• Douglas

Considering the service delivered, Netflix still offers a great deal! I can’t believe $6-$8 dollars can make or break most folks, you can’t get a movie ticket for double that anymore.  There’s a growing number of people in our society that want a free ride, particularly in terms of media. Get with the times folks, pay up!

• Sandi

The increase must be necessary or they would not have done it. Netflix should explain to their base why they had to raise prices.  Don’t insult them with a coffee reference.  The value is of the overall service is big.  The service price is dirt cheap.  My whole family uses the streaming for $7.99 per month.  Company spokes people should go back to customer relations school.  This could have been a huge win for them if done right.

• Jk

People saying to switch over the redbox for physical videos but I just did a search and 0 out of 10 movies that I typed in were available via Redbox. Clearly their selection is way too limited to replace the netflix dvd rental… bummer. 

• Lvx1313

As a member for 11 years, I’ve always just had the four DVD plan. For a while, Netflix treated long time customers better by keeping the price reasonable when they changed payment plans on the number of DVDs subscribers preferred. Not all features have the streaming capability, so I pretty much have to keep the DVD option open for that reason. Only, if I were to keep my plan as is, they are raising my rates by FIFTY percent!!! To keep my rate the same, I am forced to get less than I had before.

• Vince

The main reason I get DVD’s over streaming is for the extra features. I wish they would make avail thru the streaming service the full DVD with all the extras.

• Anonymous-coward

The extras on the DVDs are not available on streaming because Hollywood doesn’t license those for streaming.  They want you to pay extra money to obtain the DVD for those features, in order to preserve Hollywood’s income stream for DVDs.

• Avgary

The streaming selection is definitely not worth a separate charge – especially since on top of the streaming charge, you have to pay for your internet cost.
    I can’t feel sorry for Netflix and will have to consider dropping it altogether – especially since their new DVD’s are a month after they are on sale.

Certainly new customers do not have the price “baggage” that old customers don’t have.

• Nick

Does anyone remember how awful blockbuster was? What it cost? Driving to the store? And Redbox? Sure if Beverly Hills Chihuahua or Big Momma’s House is your idea of a great movie. 

Content licenses are expensive to acquire – Netflix still is a tremendous value even at its new price. 

This is one of those NPR shows where this classic Slate story about NPR listeners comes to mind – 

• Frank

This was not an NPR show.  Forum is produced locally by KQED.

• Michael Ottati

To paraphrase the Clinton campaign “It’s the content stupid”.
    I understand why Netflix had to make some price move, being blind sided by a
    60% price hike overnight feels a bit ham fisted.

I would like to have seen some sort of a per DVD option for
    those users wanting to obtain content available only on DVD.

One thing that Netflix has done is encourage me to
    reconsider a service that I was, until this week deeply satisfied with.   

• Vessy

Netflix proves a great service at an affordable price, even with the rate increases. I personally am a 25 year old and never had the chance to watch classic movies because movie rental stores never carried the classic and obscure titles Netflix now has on instant stream! Additionally, I would much rather pay the small Netflix fee for instant streaming and DVD rental than shell out the $80/month for cable tv.

• D.L. Mason

The real problem with Netflix isn’t so much the rate hike, but the fact that its the second rate hike this year and the whole splitting the service option. First of all Netflix doesn’t keep most of their quality content on the streaming server long enough to not consider DVDs an option and you have to wait almost a year for the content to come back. I made the mistake of adding TV shows and movies that only had a few days left on the streaming and it was gone by the time I was able to sit down and see it.

My wife waited for 4 years before she could see “Monk” streaming and now it been removed, which is fine because we don’t have cable or watch a whole lot of network TV, so Netflix is our only form of media entertainment.We watched about 9 episodes a day until the end of the series (people with cable TV as a distraction would not have been so lucky),  So it they split the plans I won’t have anything to watch because there’s not enough content I want to see from the streaming, I content I want to see streaming can only be seen for a limited amount of time compared to the stuff no one really wants to see, and I content I thought would be streaming is only on DVD. Also, watching one dvd at a time especially if its a TV show takes too darn long plus the price is too high.

Unless Netflix can guarantee that by Sept. 1 that all the DVDs will be converted to streaming I’m affaid I’m going to have to cancel the streaming before I cancel the DVDs since there is no guarantee that what I want to see when I want to see it will actually be there or stay there long enough if I do what they want and keep the streaming. If they don’t want me to get DVDs anymore, I’ll have to cancel them  altogether.

• Abby in Contra Costa

I think Netflix is doing an excellent job increasing their streaming library.  It costs a lot of money and there are so many legal obstacles involved in getting the rights to the content;  if people understood this a little better, they would realize what a great value Netflix is.

I personally will discontinue the disc portion of my subscription, as I rarely watch dvd’s.  I purchased a Roku player when they first came out a few years ago.  Since then, the content available to stream is increased exponentially.  I recently purchased one of the HD Roku players.  It works really well.  The quality of the streaming is excellent.  AT&T is my ISP.

I have cancelled satellite.  Netlfix and Hulu Plus are where I go for content.I pay about $16 a month for the two of them.  That’s far less than cable or satellite.

• Danaronson

We at Fandor think that consumers have been interested in ala carte options for a long time.  I don’t at all mind a bundle made up of Fandor for mainstream movies, Hulu for TV, for baseball and for independent and international movies, still cheaper than cable!

• Ko K

I am going for just DVD. The titles on Netflix’s streaming comes and goes. All the Wiggles were available and now gone. All 007 movies were available and now gone…. 

This guy says “we continue to improve” the service. This is NOT true.  Netflix has continually diminished the service, taking away feature after feature.  I cancelled my account; I suggest everyone do the same. Send them a clear message.

• Hilo Hattie

As a non-owner  of a TV… streaming is my choice.  I personally don’t care whether I have to wait a year or more for an A-list movie or something currently in the theaters to show up on streaming.  Better streaming quality I would prefer, however!  As for TV shows via streaming… YECH!  Proves the reason getting rid of cable or satellite and the TV was the right move.  I live in a rural area but, fortunatley get a decent DSL signal!

• Frank

Check out the new service Zediva.  It’s a super-cheap streaming service, and you can get the latest movies on DVD as soon as they are released.  How?  They actually use physical DVD’s, but they don’t mail them to you.  They use a bank of DVD players to play them and then stream the movie to you.  This model has been blessed by the courts as legal.  Once they get an app on Roku and other web-connected players, this will be a great choice.

• Paulsha911

This is a complete failure is pricing and customer relationship strategy that deserves its place in business books.

While the claim is they are charging 60% more to pay for “improvements”, the fact is that most streaming customers has recently seen a reduction in content, not more (i.e. due to the StarZ licensing issue).

So, the “improvements” they are talking about must be in the future. Then what they should do is charge extra when the customers actually are able to enjoy extra enhancements to the library. Instead, they are making you pay for their product development ahead of time, and without telling you exactly how and when they are “improving” their product.

• LaureP

This just shows how spoiled most Americans are. Netflix is still an amazing value, and is a fraction of the cost of cable even though (in my opinion) cable offers much less. 

If you don’t like the price increase, go ahead and quit Netflix, but I really am shocked at all the anger at this price increase. 

• Ladory

I have not seen my emails yet as to what they will charge me. However, first, I want to say that Netflix has GREAT customer service–the best I’ve seen anywhere! I’ve been a long-time user, of 3 dvds at a time plus streaming, for something just over $20 per month. This is of great value to me since I’m single, renting, driving an 18 yo car, and work as an admin (low pay and no raise for several years). I cannot afford cable TV.

My problem is that I’m 60 yo and my hearing is no longer good. I use dvds because I need subtitles. 90% of what I see streamed has no subtitles. Many movies, I completely miss the dialogue and have to wait for a dvd and watch it again.

My parents in their 80s love Netflix dvds too. They are not capable of managing technology for streaming. What does Netflix intend to provide for seniors? We’ll all be there someday.

• Greg Delory

When Netflix first proposed the idea of streaming movies over the internet as a large-scale business model, they were laughed out of many rooms. One result of this was one or more studios issuing license deals for low sums of money….never believing that Netflix would become as popular as it is today. Now that the initial licenses are expiring, the movie industry has woken up and started charging Netflix significantly higher prices for content. Translation: the initial Netflix price structure was artificially low – and this price increase has been coming for a long time. If you believe in a streaming future, you’ll be glad to reward a visionary company for a pittance more per month. Without them, we’d still be paying $5-$10 per movie on cable pay-per-view. Keep rewarding Netflix for their vision…and keep showing the cable and movie companies the errors of their shortsighted ways.  

• Gregory Slater

Who gives a d— whether netflix exists or not?  Has there ever been a worthwhile hollywood movie?  Ever? This country is in the initial stages of full collapse, our government is fully corrupt and serving the interests of the stinking rich, we are pouring our last resources into sustaining a failing empire, and the only concern of the populace is where to get the cheapest movie fix.  We’re ignorant and apathetic.  Look at the number of comments about this meaningless topic versus the next show on climate wars.  We’ve had it…

• Rufus

I have no way to accept streaming. I don’t have a Wii or Xbox and I don’t plan on getting one. I refuse to watch movies on my computer unless they are FREE. Netflix is living in a bubble–not everyone has a gaming box or whatever for streaming, nor plans to buy one.

• utera

The whining is amazing, the cost of netflix is a tiny fraction of a cable bill.

• Guest1407

perhaps the most fascinating thing about today’s program is the public’s perceived “right” to cheap entertainment. this tsunami of public outrage, in concert, was simply not possible 10, or even, 5 years ago!  the “communications complex” has actually instilled a shift in customer behavior and culture.  many are boiling over in rage and falling victim to behavior usually reserved for the “professional victim” groups —  of which there are now too many to even count.  could their numbers be inching toward the majority?  unfortunately, free trade and the recession have made it the new norm of behavior, as the middle class is feeling the trickling-up of nafta’s fallout.
    can you not just sense the anger and outrage?  companies have strategies and plans to ultimately operate in the black.  one might not like the product and/or price mix, but no one is entitled to an explanation except debt and equity holders.  yes, an explanation is nice.  but this is not an essential service.  or is it?

we need our entertainment, apparently.  this must make murdoch feel a little more powerful this week, seeing just how seriously the country is addicted to pablum and how easily they could be pacified as the power mongers go back to continue the shake down of what little is left of the nation’s bounty.  “watch the birdie”…

• utera

The statement about bluray is wrong, each disc is 25-50GB of data, special features and high bitrate video, there is no way steaming is going to match that anytime soon, never mind the fact that ISPs have capped many of us at 150-250GB, meaning a few films and you’d be done at bluray bitrates.  Quality matters, and films that I care about, special features do as well, and streaming just doesn’t have it.

In the end they were going to have to up the price at some point, unlimited streaming if they were going to add more content would not be viable at the low price they were charging, no way, the content providers charge way more for their other outlets, the streaming on netflix has been essentially at beta level for a long time so the price never reflected true cost.  I’m not sure how this stuff is going to work because ala cart doesn’t work for all the programs we’d want, if NPR allowed a la cart donation funding of programs many smaller programs would disappear off the air and we’d be poorer for it, same goes with cable programming.  So the answer is not clear, maybe they can have tiers like cable structure in the end, but then I’m not sure how they would do that as the cable companies would want to do that themselves.

As for the guy that claimed blockbuster was better for customers, short memory…. before netflix came around all they did was abuse them.

• As an early adopter of technology, I’ve been with Netflix for years (before they had streaming). In the past year, I decided to try Sprint’s 4G service as a substitute for home DSL. Unfortunately, streaming movies via a cell phone connection does not work well – the signal frequently flips from 4G to 3G, with a cap on 3G usage and on-again, off-again service depending on cell traffic. Besides, it’s much easier to rewind a DVD – no waiting for reload, AND the DVD contains nice extras that you DON’T get on streaming (though lately, they’ve been trying to force you into Blu-Ray to get the extras; not putting them on DVDs).  Bottom line – I’ve cut off the streaming option for a lower cost – but am annoyed they now limit me to 2 DVDs instead of my former 3. I’ll just have to cycle them through faster, and be disgruntled that I only have 2 options to suit my viewing mood rather than 3 plus streaming (which was a pain in the ass anyway through fake 4G). I’m locked into the Sprint contract (even though it hasn’t really delivered as promised, and they made me pay for it for months before it even went live), but I’m not locked into Netflix, thank god.

• Js1589

I am a happy customer, taking advantage of the fact that I am a 3-DVDs-at-a-time user and never use the streaming feature.  My monthly charge just went down $4. Thanks, Netflix.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor