(Justin Sullivan/Getty)

California Governor Jerry Brown and Democratic leaders announced on Monday that they had reached a deal on a majority-vote budget. We get the details on the plan, which is expected to come up for a vote today.

Guests:
John Myers, KQED's Sacramento bureau chief
Mark Leno, state senator (D) representing California's 3rd District and chair of the senate Budget and Fiscal Review Committee
Jim Nielsen, state assemblyman (R) representing California's 2nd District and vice chair of the Assembly Budget Committee
Jon Fleischman, GOP strategist and publisher of FlashReport.org, a website on California politics
Jean Ross, executive director of the California Budget Project, a public policy research group based in Sacramento

• CaptainSuburbia

Here’s a question to address:
    Doesn’t this democratic budget “solution” still need republican support to be enacted? From the articles I’m reading, they make it seem like the Dems are unified on this and it will happen, possibly today.

Thanks!

• SD619ER

No. A budget without increased taxes only requires a majority vote.

• I don’t know why we don’t just cut services in Republican districts. If they don’t want tax increases and keep talking cuts, let them have it. But only in their districts.

• Gabe Aponte

Just a general comment…I find it disheartening that we spend so much time and energies discussing a purely operational matter such as passing a budget.

There are such bigger and more important topics that our Legislature and citizenry should be worrying about. It seems all our Legislature worries about nowadays is the administrative task of passing a budget.

• timholton

I’m glad you brought up Connie Conway. I hope the  show will address comments from Republican legislators like I heard from her on the California Report story this morning which is simply, to quote Conway, “stay out of our lives.”

This message raises deep, fundamental questions for civil society: Have our public officials abandoned the public interest altogether? Have the rich in this state abandoned California as a whole? For that matter, have America’s rich abandoned the nation? I’m trying to be charitable, but what is the Republican vision for the responsibility of the individual to other members of their communities, states, and country? How can this be seen as anything but blatantly anti-social and destructive to the social fabric? How by any measure is it conservative? I don’t know how else to frame the matter.

• Keira

What is the status on the redevelopment trailer bill? Will that be voted on today? 

• timholton

If the Republican guest can present one piece of actual evidence that tax cuts lead to job creation, one piece of evidence drawn from the last 3 decades of blind faith in supply-side economics, I’d like to hear it. Otherwise, people who like to see evidence along with their theories will continue to regard his opinions as debased ideology and another zombie theory.

• Willey

We could totally cut the state budget by switching our streetlights to more efficient Plasma lighting. There is a video about it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBLsfHf0CQ&feature=feedlik_more

• Jim

The repeated claim that lowering taxes creates jobs is a believe not different from religion. There is no proof that this claim is correct and plenty that it is not. As long as philosophy trumps practical solutions and compromise, including raising taxes, there will only be continuing crisis and a bigger hole to climb out of.

• lolly caust

the republicans want to go back to the ‘perfect world’ of the 1950s, so why don’t they want to tax the rich the way we did in the 1950’s?

from 1951 to 1964 the top federal tax income rates were 91% and the top capital gains tax was 25%

today the top rate is 40% and the top capital gains tax is 20%

• Lou

One of last comments I heard, was the voters demonstrated 2yrs ago we did not want more taxes by turning down extensions of temporary taxes. I voted against the extension to demonstrate against TEMPORARY taxes becoming defacto taxes, NOT to lower taxes. Give us a real tax structure that pays for the programs. I want to pay for services. And the last thing I want is to turn my services over to the broken, and greed based commercial market.  

• Chrisco

These Republicans sound like spoofs of themselves. I guess the broken record of tax cuts will never change. I am glad they are for mom and apple pie, too. So bold and forward thinking.

• KH

I would love to see some research done on the “savings” middle class and lower class individuals and families will reap from lowering the vehicle license fee and the sales tax by one cent.  If a family’s household income is that impacted by a projected savings of $1,000 per year, they’d actually be much better off financially with a robust public education system and functioning public services. 

If you save a few cents each time you go to the market but your public school is failing or the cost of state funded higher education rises by 20 or 30 percent, you’re getting pennies on the dollars.  Any working class or middle class family relies on government funded institutions – parks, schools, libraries, recreation centers – to help raise and educate their children.  If these institutions no longer function as needed, you could never cover the costs to replace these  “big government” entities for less than $1,000 per year.

If you look at the services an average middle class person uses over their lifetime, it is extremely doubtful that they pay into the system as much as they use.  As a group, we are much better off paying small amounts toward the system as a whole to reap the benefits of group buying.  Our government is the original “groupon” system where together we can “purchase” substantially more than as individuals.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor